Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Booing in the Cote vs Smith fight.

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
I just watched Cote vs Smith because I missed it at first. I personally thought it was an OK fight definitly have been alot more boring fights (Gonzaga vs Jordan cough cough). The crowd was just ridiculous in this fight. I seen a few moments in the second round where they could have booed but during the third round it was really unwarranted. They were swinging away and connecting and within 15 seconds of a flurry, there goes the crowd. It really pisses me off when I hear this. Maybe they should stop serving alcohol at these events because the booing really brings the overall entertainment value down. I dont know about you but that was the worst i have heard heard the crowd.

Post #1   2/10/07 4:08:10PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Yeah especially in the UFC booing is very bad. Do they serve alcohol at Pride events, because if they did then it wouldn't explain why UFC crowds are so bad. The japanese crowds are always better than the american crowds I don't know why, I guess they understand fighting better than the casual american mma fan.

Last edited 2/10/07 4:31PM server time by fedorwins1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   2/10/07 4:30:49PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
Is there any possible way to educate american fans in the ways of MMA then? Or are we destined to having fans who want nothing more then blood. Its not just americans though, when i watch fights with my family, theyre always saying "stand em up". But that is caz my family doesnt sit on the computer learining about MMA on the internet.

Post #3   2/10/07 4:40:15PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:

Posted by shawneth

Is there any possible way to educate american fans in the ways of MMA then? Or are we destined to having fans who want nothing more then blood. Its not just americans though, when i watch fights with my family, theyre always saying "stand em up". But that is caz my family doesnt sit on the computer learining about MMA on the internet.

There will always be people who want to see blood and nothing else, most people only watch nascar for the wrecks they don't care who wins, they just want to see the wrecks. The sport is still young and over time I believe that people will begin to understand MMA better and not see it as a streetfight type of event.

Post #4   2/10/07 4:56:37PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:

Posted by fedorwins1

Yeah especially in the UFC booing is very bad. Do they serve alcohol at Pride events, because if they did then it wouldn't explain why UFC crowds are so bad. The japanese crowds are always better than the american crowds I don't know why, I guess they understand fighting better than the casual american mma fan.

It has nothing to do with Japanese people understanding mma more, its a culture thing, Japanese people in general are very respectful...

Post #5   2/10/07 5:00:55PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

Posted by fedorwins1

It has nothing to do with Japanese people understanding mma more, its a culture thing, Japanese people in general are very respectful...

Soo............... How come Canadian Fans dont boo???? Canadian fans are pretty much awesome. Japanese gotta give em credit. Hundred thousand people thats a lot. And you can hear a pin drop at a Pride even. Seems like American People in general are willing to be more Aggressive.
Not to many riots happen in Japan...... or Canada for that matter. I think it is just a few bad apples and they get a few of their buddies to boo or chant USA along with them.

Post #6   2/10/07 5:12:21PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Watch Prides: Clash Of the Titans. The "Fight Professor" starts talking about how the fans are throwing stuff into the ring. The camera cuts away real quick. There's jerks in every culture. Yes, I hate the booing, when I went to UFC 53 I got into a little arguement about that. But I've enever seen a American crowd throw stuff into the octogon

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #7   2/10/07 5:44:38PM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
has nothing to do with "uneducated" american fans.

has everything to do with culture.

japanese are far more reserved, conservative. american fans will boo anything, hockey, baseball, basketball, football, the refs, the coaches, certain players alone even if they love the team. Its a culture thing, its not just mma, its not just the UFC.

Im not american but im still sick of hearing how its because of "uneducated" people, or the fans that only the UFC can attract.

If they are flying to vegas and paying 1k/seat they arent trailer trash, they arent 16 year old kids.

I dont like the booing, but you have to understand the culture difference.

any canadian here who has watched (when it happened or reruns, whatever) the soviet play against canada in the 70's. When the games took place in canada, the crowds were nuts, very loud whether it was cheering/booing/whatever. When the games took place in the Soviet Union, the only noise from the crowds were from the canadian fans in attendence. This has also been confirmed by candian players/staff who were there.

Post #8   2/10/07 5:51:44PM   

Albertan

Learning to Sprawl

Albertan Avatar

Career:1,834-1,179
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Posted by richieb19

Posted by fedorwins1

Soo............... How come Canadian Fans dont boo???? Canadian fans are pretty much awesome. Japanese gotta give em credit. Hundred thousand people thats a lot. And you can hear a pin drop at a Pride even. Seems like American People in general are willing to be more Aggressive.
Not to many riots happen in Japan...... or Canada for that matter. I think it is just a few bad apples and they get a few of their buddies to boo or chant USA along with them.

Its funny because we Canadians do boo say if an american is fighting our champ. But generally mid fight even on a poor fight Canadians would rather leave to get a fresh beer then booo the action of two guys going at it.

Post #9   2/10/07 5:52:19PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
I suppose the booing was somewhat justified in this match because Cote had an excellent chance to finish off Smith, but he did not capitalize whatsoever on it.

Cote was definitely afraid of Smith's KO power, which is why he did not go in for the kill, but honestly, he could have finished that fight and not make Dana pissed. When Sell ran in to finish off Smith, he was pretty badly beaten so it was expected that he would get KO by Smith if he just carelessly rushed in.

Cote was still fresh while Smith was rocked, he could have picked his shots and then start throwing bombs when Smith starts to cover up more.

But yeah, overall, I do agree that the booing needs to be toned down. However, you have to look at it from a fan's perspective as well. They paid a lot of money to watch the fights and they don't like it when two fighters just try to stall it out. On the other hand, some uneducated fans just do not understand the tactics involved in MMA and boo at everything.

Post #10   2/10/07 5:53:57PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by MMA

I suppose the booing was somewhat justified in this match because Cote had an excellent chance to finish off Smith, but he did not capitalize whatsoever on it.

Cote was definitely afraid of Smith's KO power, which is why he did not go in for the kill, but honestly, he could have finished that fight and not make Dana pissed. When Sell ran in to finish off Smith, he was pretty badly beaten so it was expected that he would get KO by Smith if he just carelessly rushed in.

Cote was still fresh while Smith was rocked, he could have picked his shots and then start throwing bombs when Smith starts to cover up more.

But yeah, overall, I do agree that the booing needs to be toned down. However, you have to look at it from a fan's perspective as well. They paid a lot of money to watch the fights and they don't like it when two fighters just try to stall it out. On the other hand, some uneducated fans just do not understand the tactics involved in MMA and boo at everything.

Agree. First time I actually agreed with the booing. Cote looked soo tentative I'd prefer if he had lost even though I picked him to win. And in his post-fight interview it sounded like he went for the decision the whole time which to me is bullshit.

I think it was a little warranted.

Post #11   2/10/07 6:32:54PM   

Sagat_GSP12

MMA Regular

Sagat_GSP12 Avatar

Career:36-25
Chips:
I really think Cote thought he was playing possum though. Regardless you want to see somebody finish a fight, but I still think booing at an MMA event is ridiculous. There should be a rule: You can only boo if you plan on stepping in the ring with one of the fighters you're booing.
The booing of Rampage was even more uncalled for IMO.

Post #12   2/10/07 6:37:05PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
i have been to several show where part of the crowd booed. i think in most cases it shows there ignorance and lack of class

Post #13   2/10/07 6:45:10PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
it's a chain reaction.. one jerk goes BOOO and the rest join.. prob dont even know what they're booing at.. one time i did feel sorry for the fighter that was gettin boo'ed was chris leben

he lost to jmac and said he was fighting for the fans and they kept booing him

Post #14   2/10/07 7:02:10PM   

gspfan31

MMA Regular

gspfan31 Avatar

Career:98-51
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

it's a chain reaction.. one jerk goes BOOO and the rest join.. prob dont even know what they're booing at.. one time i did feel sorry for the fighter that was gettin boo'ed was chris leben

he lost to jmac and said he was fighting for the fans and they kept booing him

ya, i really didn't see why they were booing him

Post #15   2/10/07 7:05:18PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2