Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC + Kurt Angle = Retarded

Print  
  Page 5 of 5   <<   2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Snacks

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by mrsumo

And I wasn't intending to condescend, I was merely looking for a more interesting debate to pass the time here at work.

Dude, I'm telling you, AdventureQuest is a pretty sweet game. If you travel to the Rip in the Sky, and go through the boiler room, a cyborg dragon with one arm gives you a plunger to fight people with. I can't make things like that up.

....I wonder why that thing is even advertised here.

Because they paid the fine people at MMAplayground some money probably. Plus its a fun game.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #61   2/11/07 6:01:18AM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Career:25-13
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Snacks

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by mrsumo

And I wasn't intending to condescend, I was merely looking for a more interesting debate to pass the time here at work.

Dude, I'm telling you, AdventureQuest is a pretty sweet game. If you travel to the Rip in the Sky, and go through the boiler room, a cyborg dragon with one arm gives you a plunger to fight people with. I can't make things like that up.

....I wonder why that thing is even advertised here.

Because they paid the fine people at MMAplayground some money probably. Plus its a fun game.

I would just think there'd be advertisements more related to MMA.

Post #62   2/11/07 6:03:39AM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
This is true, but a new company needs whatever money they can get.

Post #63   2/11/07 6:05:24AM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:

Posted by Snacks

Posted by mrsumo

This was between WWE and TNA

Wasn't that only like ... 2-3 months? And with the list of injuries he's had.... that doesn't seem like a necessary amount of time to recovery.

He only has to wrestle once a week, if that in TNA.

They don't go on the road and do house shows and if I'm not mistaken I think they even record multiple episodes at a time so it may be even less than once a week.

That's my understanding of it but I could be wrong.

I don't think he would be a top contender or anything but I think he could win a match here or there. If he picks it up as fast as he picked up pro wrestling maybe he could be a threat but I seriously doubt that would ever happen.

Last edited 2/11/07 11:07AM server time by mmadb
Edit note/reason: Typo
2 total post edits

Post #64   2/11/07 11:04:29AM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Career:101-69
Camp: Oklahoma Top Team
Chips:

Considering he's admitted that he needs Pain killers to just get through the day, the chances of him making any kind of impact in the MMA world is slim to none, even with the relative weakness of the heavyweight category. To think that people who watch MMA on a regular basis even consider Kurt Angle as viable prospect is quite laughable.

Doesn't that just say it all.great post, it really sums up the chances he has. Especially with his decision to continue wrestling well fighting MMA.

the end thanks for coming everyone!!!

Last edited 2/11/07 12:06PM server time by brodieros
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #65   2/11/07 12:05:17PM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by mmadb

Posted by Snacks

Posted by mrsumo

This was between WWE and TNA

Wasn't that only like ... 2-3 months? And with the list of injuries he's had.... that doesn't seem like a necessary amount of time to recovery.

He only has to wrestle once a week, if that in TNA.

They don't go on the road and do house shows and if I'm not mistaken I think they even record multiple episodes at a time so it may be even less than once a week.

That's my understanding of it but I could be wrong.

I don't think he would be a top contender or anything but I think he could win a match here or there. If he picks it up as fast as he picked up pro wrestling maybe he could be a threat but I seriously doubt that would ever happen.

TNA tapes 3 episodes at a time so kurt only wrestles 1 or 2 a month

Post #66   2/12/07 10:22:43PM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
kurt angle fighting would be no less a joke than butterbean...or the ex pro wrestler he knocked out at pride real deal

or the countless japanese fighters currently(in in years past) who have done well in mma...granted japanese pro wrestling is a little different than what we get here...but its the same premise

his qualifications pre-mma would be better than randys, or colemans, or hughes, or any other wrestler.

i dont like him, and i think he would do horribly, but to call it a joke in a sport where butterbean is still on pay per views(and drawing viewers) is a little off the mark.

he would do poorly against any top fighters.....against C level fighters im sure he could lay and pray some decisions, but the sheer draw factor would be amazing....and then the stunned response from pro wrestling fans when he gets choked out inside of 2 minutes would be even better

sorry, i dont like him and dont like his prospects, i just like playing devils advocate.

Post #67   2/13/07 2:45:21AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
The thing is, Randy, Henderson, Hughes etc got into the sport back when you could be a totally one-sided fighter. Those days have long since passed, and coming in with great wreslting will at most get you a lay and pray decsion, and at worst turn you into someones highlight reel.

Comparing him to Butterbean is comparing apples and oranges. Anyone who can throw a mean punch will have a place in MMA, because the majority of people want to see KO's. No serious or casual fan has ever tuned into a PPV to watch somone be held down for 15 minutes. Butterbean brings the possibility of a brutal KO. Angle brings the possibility of being really ******* boring.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #68   2/13/07 2:51:17AM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by jmoooooo

kurt angle fighting would be no less a joke than butterbean...or the ex pro wrestler he knocked out at pride real deal

or the countless japanese fighters currently(in in years past) who have done well in mma...granted japanese pro wrestling is a little different than what we get here...but its the same premise

his qualifications pre-mma would be better than randys, or colemans, or hughes, or any other wrestler.

i dont like him, and i think he would do horribly, but to call it a joke in a sport where butterbean is still on pay per views(and drawing viewers) is a little off the mark.

he would do poorly against any top fighters.....against C level fighters im sure he could lay and pray some decisions, but the sheer draw factor would be amazing....and then the stunned response from pro wrestling fans when he gets choked out inside of 2 minutes would be even better

sorry, i dont like him and dont like his prospects, i just like playing devils advocate.

i dont think hed do horribly, he wouldnt be able to do any standup, but on the ground wouldn't be so bad, he is strong, an excellent wrestler, knows submissions and has been know to hurt some of his coworkers on the wrestling circut using to much agression. he wouldn't win a belt but i would put him above c level

Last edited 2/13/07 2:51AM server time by JunCTion
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #69   2/13/07 2:51:17AM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

The thing is, Randy, Henderson, Hughes etc got into the sport back when you could be a totally one-sided fighter. Those days have long since passed, and coming in with great wreslting will at most get you a lay and pray decsion, and at worst turn you into someones highlight reel.

Comparing him to Butterbean is comparing apples and oranges. Anyone who can throw a mean punch will have a place in MMA, because the majority of people want to see KO's. No serious or casual fan has ever tuned into a PPV to watch somone be held down for 15 minutes. Butterbean brings the possibility of a brutal KO. Angle brings the possibility of being really ******* boring.

the point made was that it would be a joke.....not whether it would be exciting/boring

i think blind naked midgets wrestling in a tub of watermelon jello would be exciting to some, but that doesnt mean it has a place in serious fighting. tank abbot is considered a joke by a large portion of the MMA community, and he was known for brutal KO's, so why is butterbean taken more seriously? at least tank has a wrestling background (way way back)..more well rounded than butterbean....but still, neither have much place in serious MMA (in my opinion)

there are lots of freakshow fights in many organizations (pride included), so why would the line be drawn at kurt angle...

Post #70   2/13/07 3:00:28AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Freak fights are there because they are, or have the potential to be, exciting. I doubt anyone thought Takayama would actually beat Don Frye in a fight, but it had the potential to be an exciting fight, and it was. Akebono is a horrible MMA fighting and kickboxer, but because hes so slow, guys can set up all kinds of devastating combos and high kicks on him.

That appeal wouldn't be there with Kurt Angle, although I agree it would bring in viewers. I imagine if this ever does happen, they'll give him one fight he could potentially win, like maybe have him go against that dude who laid and prayed Kongo to death, and then they'll probably throw him under the bus and have him take on Cro-cop, AA, etc.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #71   2/13/07 3:12:05AM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Chips:
so again, he would get brutally KO'd, which would be exciting.....

exciting - him getting KTFO brutally

huge draw - from pro wrestling fans wanting to see him win, and mma fans wanting to see him lose

huge exposure for the sport - obviously

cant see how angle coming in is a bad thing, as long as he goes away once the novelty wears off

Post #72   2/13/07 3:24:22AM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Career:101-69
Camp: Oklahoma Top Team
Chips:
He could lay and prey a few decisions out on C level fighters, not worth PPV, but I'll watch him on showtime.

Post #73   2/13/07 5:19:54PM   

Page 5 of 5   <<   2     3     4     5