Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC + Kurt Angle = Retarded

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:
I've been a Kurt Angle mark since he first debuted in the then WWF in the mid 90's. I'm not proud of it but I've always been a fan of wrestling and still watch today even though it is nothing like what it used to be. I marked out big time when he signed with TNA. I think I've only marked out bigger when GSP demolished Hughes.

Regardless, the guy is a world class athlete, probably still a fantastic wrestler and only wrestles one time a week (if he even wrestles and doesn't just cut a promo). He has tons of time to train MMA and there's no reason why he couldn't become a great MMA fighter.

Wherever he fights if he ever does I will lay down my cash to see it and I'm sure there's at least a million other people who would do the same just to see it. Win or lose. If I was Dana I would have tried to sign him right off the bat but knowing Angle he probably wants top dollar.

Post #31   2/10/07 10:20:57PM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Career:101-69
Camp: Oklahoma Top Team
Chips:
I am actually glad to hear he signed with Showtime to show what he can do, world class wrestler or not he has to prove himself more so than a no name. i guess we will see.

Does anyone know when his first fight is or who he fights?
do you think it will be a well known fighter?

Post #32   2/10/07 10:28:04PM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Chips:
I wonder if he would fight at HW or LHW, I'm sure he knows all about cutting weight. I wonder what his walk around weight is.

Post #33   2/10/07 10:31:39PM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Career:101-69
Camp: Oklahoma Top Team
Chips:
According to the link below he is 250lbs. he is very thick. I imagine he would be HW i don't see him cutting that much weight and i know he wouldn't want to give up any muscle weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Angle

Post #34   2/10/07 10:49:15PM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by shackle

I totally disagree ... how does it make it look like a joke...

It will bring even more fans to a better, and real sport how is that a joke.

It's good for MMA.

Don't forget kurt was also a gold metal wrestler, and thats not fake. He has a chance in MMA if he learns all aspects of the game.

And if he doesn't we get to see a pro wrestler get KTFO

agreed and kurts probably the only wrestler that could seriously consider mma and it will bring a lot more fans. ive always watched wrestling but ever since i got hooked on mma its not as entertaining

Post #35   2/10/07 10:57:00PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
One problem with Kurt Angle coming to mma is that he has soooooooooo many injurys, that I'm sure his body can barely hold up wrestling, more less an mma fight. But then again an mma fight may be safer for him because he wont be jumping from 10 feet in the air to the ground.

Post #36   2/10/07 10:59:04PM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Chips:
250, ouch, HW it is...in the land of Wrestling he doesn't seem that big.

I think being a pro wrestler you are way more likely to get injured than in MMA but that's debateable.

The true test is to see how he reacts after getting punched in the mouth. For all we know he's the next Eldari Kurtanidze.

Post #37   2/10/07 11:29:14PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by mmadb

I think being a pro wrestler you are way more likely to get injured than in MMA but that's debateable.

Not at all debatable. Pro-wrestlers take FAR more punishment than MMA fighters. They fight more often, they have longer matches on average, they have less time to train, and with the extreme angle of getting hit with chairs, and whatnot, theres a lot of things that lead to injuries, especially to the spine and neck. I tried my hand at pro-wrestling in my late teens and early twenties, and got more hurt in that than in fighting NHB. I've torn cartilage in both my knees from taking falls, I ended up with a herniated disk in my back down the road from taking falls, my neck is ruined from suplexes, DDTs, snapmares, etc, and thats only the major shit.

As for Kurt and MMA, hes not going to do well, no matter how good his wrestling is. There have been a good chunk of Olympic wrestlers, and all told, their experiences have been pretty sad. Mark Coleman dominated the sport early on but once the competition learned how to avoid takedowns, he started to fade. Mark Schultz fought early on, beat Gary Goodridge via cut, attempted a comeback and lost. Kevin Jackson was 4-2 with his only notable win being Frykland in his second fight. Randy Couture, Dan Henderson and Matt Lindland have all done well for themselves, but had rough starts against decent submission guys. Gardner has one lackluster fight.

Kurt might be a great wrestler, and could have done well at the beginning, but its much too late in the sports evolution to be coming in as a pure wrestler. One fight against someone with TD defense or decent subs from the bottom and he'll be destroyed.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #38   2/11/07 3:55:52AM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
Well, the proof will be in the pudding, as they say. Angle does have the mechanics to be an accomplished MMA fighter. It isn't really fair to base judgement strictly on his history as wrestler, real or wwe. I heard someone mention Coleman and how his wrestling gets blocked in Pride. But other wrestlers turned fighters have had good success. Coture, Ortiz, Hughes, and so on. From what little the articles have mentioned it does look like he is training other areas of his game. I am sure we wont get to see him powerbomb anybody, but I bet he can work to a clinch and suplex a guy. Plus if he is still up on his greco/ freestyle training he probably wont be that easy to take down. Yea we need to see how he takes the strikes. But something tells me he wont have a glass jaw. I am also willing to bet he probably has some good power behind those meat hooks. I am not saying he is the next contender, yet. But depending on who they throw at him his first few matches, he might have a noteworthy career. Maybe he can bring something we've never seen before. I want to see someone win by submission via camel clutch!

Post #39   2/11/07 4:32:11AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Thing is, with Danas dislike of pro-wrestling, if hes signed hes more than likely going to be thrown under the bus. They'll probably give him to Randy first if he loses to Sylvia.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #40   2/11/07 4:50:15AM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Chips:
That would be a great match. I think they wrestled against eachother before.

Post #41   2/11/07 4:52:56AM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Career:25-13
Chips:
I really hope the responses in this thread are a joke.

Post #42   2/11/07 4:56:28AM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Snacks

Oh, and what would be your expert opinion?

Post #43   2/11/07 4:59:14AM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Career:25-13
Chips:

Posted by mrsumo

Posted by Snacks

Oh, and what would be your expert opinion?

Considering he's admitted that he needs Pain killers to just get through the day, the chances of him making any kind of impact in the MMA world is slim to none, even with the relative weakness of the heavyweight category. To think that people who watch MMA on a regular basis even consider Kurt Angle as viable prospect is quite laughable.

Post #44   2/11/07 5:04:44AM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Chips:
Much better response. But how many fighters in UFC and Pride do you think don't use drugs on a daily basis? It is common in nearly any sport.

Post #45   2/11/07 5:11:51AM   

Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5