Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC + Kurt Angle = Retarded

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Career:101-69
Camp: Oklahoma Top Team
Chips:
It is rumored Kurt has been talking to Elite after Dana White showed no interest in him due to his continuing wrestling career. Now Dana is interested in Kurt because Elite is considering him. In my humble opinion Kurt coming to UFC makes UFC look like a joke in professional sports, even more so than Shamrock going to wrestling. what do you think?

Post #1   2/10/07 12:10:20PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
I totally disagree ... how does it make it look like a joke...

It will bring even more fans to a better, and real sport how is that a joke.

It's good for MMA.

Don't forget kurt was also a gold metal wrestler, and thats not fake. He has a chance in MMA if he learns all aspects of the game.

And if he doesn't we get to see a pro wrestler get KTFO

Last edited 2/10/07 12:17PM server time by shackle
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #2   2/10/07 12:14:20PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,715-1,505
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Well, if Angle stops wrestling, hes a decent sign because of his incredible wrestling background, but I doubt that Dana is gonna wanna give him a massive contract when hes never had an MMA fight before, and im sure Kurt wants a huge contract.

Post #3   2/10/07 12:38:08PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
actually Dana tried to sign Kurt and in an interview on UFC.com Dana said Kurt decided on going to TNA wrestling, I'd like to see the source on the elite speculation, and also the guy is a gold medal wrestler, did Rulon look like a joke in his first pride match????

Post #4   2/10/07 12:42:27PM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Chips:
I will agree that wrestler are amazing athletes, however better fans, no sir. All the acrobatics and drama isn't in UFC nor and reputable sports. When Kurt angle gets KO 45 seconds in the first round and doesn't get back up and make an amazing come back the "better fans" will boo. Other wrestlers not jumping into the Octagon will also disappoint them.
I would watch him in elite or pride because they will do anything for ratings so its kind of a side show interest.

Post #5   2/10/07 12:45:03PM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Chips:
The Elite information on Kurt came from Sherdog and Subfighter.

--"Kurt Angle, an Olympic Gold Medalist Wrestler in 1996, reiterated his intentions to compete in mixed martial arts during an appearance tonight on Scott Ferrall, a sports radio talk show on Sirius Satellite Radio.

Angle told Ferrall that he is currently in negotiations with both EliteXC and UFC. Angle said UFC President Dana White initially did not want to sign him because of his involvement with pro wrestling. But upon hearing Angle was in negotiations with EliteXC, White changed his mind and decided to pursue Angle.

Angle stated he would like to fight three times before he turns forty years old."--

Post #6   2/10/07 12:51:23PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Angle would not be a joke. The guy has serious-serious wrestling skills. The best the UFC has ever seen. It is just a matter IF he can find a stand-up game. His age also could be a factor, I believe he is 34? So, that doesn't leave him many years to get better. Wrestlers peak, at least in Greco and Freestyle, between the ages of 29-32, so he is not that far removed from what would have been his peak had he remained in Olympic competition. Look how long Couture held on. I think wrestlers have an advantage in the age department.

Remember, he is not a Pro-Wrestler coming to MMA, he is an Elite Olympic Wrestler, who has done pro-wrestling, now coming to MMA.

Post #7   2/10/07 12:51:52PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
How so? Kurt Angle is an olympic gold medalist in wrestling, and there is nothing fake about that, he apperantly doesn't use steroids and is in fantastic shape. With the right training in submissions and a good striking coach, Kurt Angle could really mess some people up.

And I don't funnly understand how Shamrock going to the WWF was a joke to professional sports, he wasn't making enough money to live on fighting in the UFC at the time, and he had an entire stable of fighters to pay for.

Post #8   2/10/07 12:59:43PM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Chips:
I would agree hat he is an awesome wrestler, but as stated he will have to find a stand up game and deal with being on his back, being a one dementional fighter trying to learn new things at his age won't get him far in the "Big Show" "The Super Bowl" that is UFC. However Elite or Dana's WEC experiment he could do very well.

or better yet give him Brandon Vera to finish his contract and send the unappreciative Brandon on his way.

Post #9   2/10/07 1:00:03PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by brodieros

The Elite information on Kurt came from Sherdog and Subfighter.

--"Kurt Angle, an Olympic Gold Medalist Wrestler in 1996, reiterated his intentions to compete in mixed martial arts during an appearance tonight on Scott Ferrall, a sports radio talk show on Sirius Satellite Radio.

Angle told Ferrall that he is currently in negotiations with both EliteXC and UFC. Angle said UFC President Dana White initially did not want to sign him because of his involvement with pro wrestling. But upon hearing Angle was in negotiations with EliteXC, White changed his mind and decided to pursue Angle.

Angle stated he would like to fight three times before he turns forty years old."--

thanks for that

Post #10   2/10/07 1:06:13PM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Chips:
Being a gold medalist in wrestling doesn't automatically make you a UFC champ.

Shamrock come on money doesn't make his rep. a positive one. Everyone said he couldn't come back from wrestling and be a force in the MMA world. he won a few fights in pride but nothing to brag about and in the big leagues of UFC 1 win and 4 is truly a joke and the single come back win in the UFC was to KIMO

Maybe if he did well in WEC he might deserve a UFN Headline on spike, but he has stated he wants 3 fights before 40 years old, not an ambitious plan.

Post #11   2/10/07 1:10:04PM   

hypocalking

Learning to Sprawl

hypocalking Avatar

Career:71-50
Camp: Sherdog All Stars
Chips:

Posted by brodieros

It is rumored Kurt has been talking to Elite after Dana White showed no interest in him due to his continuing wrestling career. Now Dana is interested in Kurt because Elite is considering him. In my humble opinion Kurt coming to UFC makes UFC look like a joke in professional sports, even more so than Shamrock going to wrestling. what do you think?

I prettty sure Angle already said he signed with Showtime on Bubba The Love Sponge.

Btw Kurt is bad ass he won the gold metal with a broken neck.

Post #12   2/10/07 1:11:23PM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Chips:
Well that's a good thing and i truly hope he does well on Showtime, and i never questioned his wrestling, but again that doesn't mean he has a stand up game. As a heavy weight that truly is a must with Arlovski and Cro Cop to deal with.

Do you know when his first fight in Showtime is?

Post #13   2/10/07 1:15:55PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
I never said that he would become a UFC champion, I said he would do well...

and if you really wanna get on Shamrock's case, then you really should know the facts...

He left for the WWF for money to support himself, his family, and most importantly the Lion's Den, where all the fighters got free training, room and board...

His return to MMA after his WWF stint doesnt compare to his former UFC and Pancrase glory I agree, but was very impressive none the less. If you look at the record on paper, a 3-8 record may not impress you much, but if you actually take the time to watch those fights, you would realize that whats written on paper has a whole other story behind it. In his post 2000 career, Ken mopped the floor with Fujita and only lost because of severe exhaustion and heart palpatations braught on by 7 days notice/training for the fight. He went to war with Don Frye and lost a split decision, one which many people still believe should have gone to Ken, and to be honest that fight should have been stopped in the first round for Don's safety, and on a side note that fight was awarded as fight of the year for Pride. He also walked thru Otsuka and Adkins, whos records arent super impressive, but don't be fooled, they are tough fighters. His KO knee victory over Kimo was the highlight of Ultimate Knockouts 3. The stoppages from Saku and Tito 2 are bs, and shouldnt be concidered lossed by any means. So to be honest the only people Ken really lost to after 2000 was Rich Franklin (alot of people see this fight as a work, I won't comment) and Tito Ortiz 2X.

Post #14   2/10/07 1:19:59PM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Chips:
I don't find his going to WWF bad because family support comes 1st, but 1 maybe 2 losses after the come back i can understand, but paper or not he didn't make a come back. The Tito fights all belong to Tito because stopped early or not he would have lost. I completely get what your saying and really respect your view.

Post #15   2/10/07 1:26:34PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>