Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMA and steroids.....

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
Josh Barnett , UFC 36title stripped after testing positive for steroids

There are alot of other fighters that lost my respect... alves, Randleman (who is fighting for his life because of it), and the list goes on.... I'm Not just bashing JOSH!!!! This is meant for all the steroid users caught.

Alot of people claim Josh is a top 10 fighter, but I think he left the UFC so he can do steroids. I bet you won't see him fight in the US alot cause the testing. I think any fighter that uses steroids shouldn't be called a fighter. I don't think any of these fighters should be allowed respect unless they redeem their self by getting tested often, and never being testing positive for a while. Their fights they tested positive for should also be void.

Fighters that take steroids are cheaters, and should be treated like cheaters.

When will Japan ( or other mma orgs not testing often) step up, and stop the cheaters. Alot of steroids using fighers use other counties orgs kinda like a American criminal uses Mexico it's sad.

I don't know how everyone one else feels about this, but I think it's sad for any sport, and should receive the worst punishment possible.

Last edited 2/10/07 8:48PM server time by shackle
Edit note/reason: n/a
5 total post edits

Post #1   2/10/07 11:00:53AM   

ufcisbeast101

Banned

Career:15-10
Chips:
if you use steriods you should be banned not all from mma also any other sports its cheating and its pure bs

Post #2   2/10/07 11:14:48AM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Chips:
Yeah thats the kind of punishment I'd like to see.

Posted by ufcisbeast101

if you use steriods you should be banned not all from mma also any other sports its cheating and its pure bs

Post #3   2/10/07 12:21:01PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,796-1,566
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
It is a tragedy that some of the best fighters use steroids, and no one really knows how they would perform without them, especially randleman. I really hate when people use steroids, and they should get a year suspension from all MMA when they test positive IMO.

Post #4   2/10/07 12:34:35PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Steriods will be a minor issue with elite fighters as their salaries go up. They will now be able to afford Growth Hormone and other treatments that are not easily detected. It will be like pro sports in the US, the only ones getting caught will be the cheap skates and the dumb asses.

Post #5   2/10/07 12:55:48PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
This is a very touchy subject, and I find myself on both sides of the fence. In the UFC, where steroids are banned, there should be no reason for a fighter to take the chance and use them, although the same thing occurs often in several other sports. Many fighters such as Ken Shamrock will even vough against steroids, saying that in the fight game it hinders you more than it helps. In Pride however, there is no testing in Japan [and as far as I know, it is not illegal to use steroids (outside of the US shows)], and using steroids is fair game to anyone who desires is, so if Josh Barnett (who is easily the #3 or 4 HW in the world) is still using them (and I'm not accusing him at all), there is nothing morally wrong with that.

My one major problem with steroids is the testing though. Fighters often get caught with an illegal substance without even knowning that they took it, ie. over the counter things which contain trace amoutns anabolic steroids.

Post #6   2/10/07 1:07:56PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Chips:
We all know that takes away from the honest fighters working there asses off without them. How can pride (or any org thats allows steroids) claim to have the best fighters in the world if they are using things to enhance their performances vs the honest fighter thats not.

Just because it's not against the rules in Japan doesn't make it right. We all know that using steroids vs someone not is cheating. Almost every country does testing with their popular sports even the tour de France. It's silly to say that just cause it's not against the rules in japan it's right for athletes to use them. If josh is using them in my book he should be ranked well below the top 10 fighters.

Correct me if I'm wrong if that is not how you was meaning to coming off :)

Fighters that get tested positive for over the what they claim is over the counter stuff just seems like the athletes saying that mess to get out of trouble. Just like DNA doesn't lie, and I think the testing is pretty accurate. If it did have trace amounts of steroids then they could fight the case if they showed what they took, but they need to watch what they take if they are getting drug tested.

Posted by richieb19
In Pride however, there is no testing in Japan [and as far as I know, it is not illegal to use steroids (outside of the US shows)], and using steroids is fair game to anyone who desires is, so if Josh Barnett (who is easily the #3 or 4 HW in the world) is still using them (and I'm not accusing him at all), there is nothing morally wrong with that.

Last edited 2/10/07 2:13PM server time by shackle

Post #7   2/10/07 2:12:19PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:

Posted by shackle

We all know that takes away from the honest fighters working there asses off without them. How can pride (or any org thats allows steroids) claim to have the best fighters in the world if they are using things to enhance their performances vs the honest fighter thats not.

Just because it's not against the rules in Japan doesn't make it right. We all know that using steroids vs someone not is cheating. Almost every country does testing with their popular sports even the tour de France. It's silly to say that just cause it's not against the rules in japan it's right for athletes to use them. If josh is using them in my book he should be ranked well below the top 10 fighters.

Correct me if I'm wrong if that is not how you was meaning to coming off :)

Fighters that get tested positive for over the what they claim is over the counter stuff just seems like the athletes saying that mess to get out of trouble. Just like DNA doesn't lie, and I think the testing is pretty accurate. If it did have trace amounts of steroids then they could fight the case if they showed what they took, but they need to watch what they take if they are getting drug tested.

In no way am I promoting or agreeing with useage of steroids in ANY sport, let alone a combat sport... but again as I said, if Pride allows (or looks away) on the steroid issue I don't see it as cheating for a fighter to take advantage of that.

Post #8   2/10/07 2:18:45PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
i agree with the stance against steriods but why make josh your example. if banning the fighter forever is the solution then wouldnt that affect tim he was caught more recently than josh.

Last edited 2/10/07 7:15PM server time by jocksmall

Post #9   2/10/07 7:14:22PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Chips:
Please read the entire post I said ALL fighters that have got caught. I was just using him as a example.

This is what I mean why does it matter who it was they are all cheaters...

What makes Josh better then Tim they both did it.

Posted by jocksmall

i agree with the stance against steriods but why make josh your example. if banning the fighter forever is the solution then wouldnt that affect tim he was caught more recently than josh.

Last edited 2/10/07 7:43PM server time by shackle
2 total post edits

Post #10   2/10/07 7:39:09PM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:

Posted by shackle

I bet you won't see him fight in the US

You were referring to Barnett, he fought in Vegas at Pride 32 last October so I would assume he got tested. I personally don't like Barnett so I'm trying to defend the meatball just figured I'd point that out.

As for steroids, is it an advantage, probably but who knows really. Either way, if they are not supposed to be doing them then the penalties should be harsh enough that they won't do them again.

Post #11   2/10/07 10:29:55PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Thanks mmadb, I was going to point that out. He had to get tested to get his licence back from the NSAC because he hadn't fought in the US since being suspended, so hes clean.

I'm torn on this issue myself. On one hand, there should be fines and penalties for a first offense, but I don't think anyone should be banned forever. The reason being that when you have a "banned, no questions asked" policy like that, it can be used against you.

Granted I don't believe most of the excuses given by roid users, but there are too many products on the market that have trace amounts of steroid in them, and steroids are still used in modern medicine. If you can prove the fighter took steroids for a non-legitimate purpose, like when Big Tim admitted he took them to look nice, thats one thing, but I'd hate for someone to have their career end because they used some cough syrup with trace amounts of steroid, or some such thing.

As for steroids and fighting ability, I've trained in the past with a serious roidhead and he had a lot of problems with his grip after awhile because his forearms would get so swollen during fighting he couldn't close his hands. He was frightening as hell to fight too because he had so little self-control he'd try to break you arm in half without realizing what he was doing.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #12   2/11/07 3:18:16AM   

Spud

Learning to Sprawl

Spud Avatar

Career:18-12
Chips:

Posted by shackle
This is meant for all the steroid users caught.

So, if you don't get caught it's o.k!?!

would you care to elaborate?

as cynical as I am, I really do think that there are more MMArtists on shit that haven't been caught.

it's like pissing against the wind.

try it sometime....

Post #13   2/11/07 7:37:00PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Chips:
wow..... lol

After reading the entire post you actually think I'm supporting fighters that haven't been caught?

Let me rephrase what I said.... ALL MMA FIGHTERS USING STEROIDS.

Posted by Spud

Posted by shackle

as cynical as I am, I really do think that there are more MMArtists on shit that haven't been caught.

try it sometime....

Post #14   2/11/07 8:36:31PM   

Spud

Learning to Sprawl

Spud Avatar

Career:18-12
Chips:

Posted by shackle

wow..... lol

After reading the entire post you actually think I'm supporting fighters that haven't been caught?

Let me rephrase what I said.... ALL MMA FIGHTERS USING STEROIDS.

Posted by Spud

Posted by shackle

try it sometime....

"all MMA fighters using steroids"

how do you know that they are using unless they get caught?

are you privvy to information that everyone else isn't?
are you a personal agony aunt to the stars?
do they tell you personally whether they're juicing or not?

tell me please or are you just making baseless assumptions?

Post #15   2/11/07 11:17:23PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2