Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

shonie carter speaks out on the ufc

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Record: 1,622-1,122
Chips:
link

SC: As soon as I get back, I'm going to see what's up because I know the UFC was tripping about me fighting. I'm like, look, I can't sit around and wait all year and they didn't use me all year. I mean, my rent was due. Even me going to Canada…I mean, the whole story behind me fighting goes beyond the fight. I owed child support and I was paying the mom instead of paying the state. I go to renew my passport and they cease my passport and give me 24 hours to pay it or I'm going to get a knock on the door by the sheriff.

Last edited 1/8/08 2:42PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   11/29/07 9:26:23PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar
Record: 332-207
Chips:
thats pretty shady

Post #2   11/29/07 10:07:33PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Record: 444-230
Chips:
Not sure why he takes a shot at Hendo, guy was the 185 champ and 205 champ, KO'd wand wo dominated Rampage twice and he doesn't deserve it?

Post #3   11/29/07 10:19:07PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Record: 759-539
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Not sure why he takes a shot at Hendo, guy was the 185 champ and 205 champ, KO'd wand wo dominated Rampage twice and he doesn't deserve it?

I think he's bitter and rightfully so. If the UFC is keeping him on the line and he has to eat, I don't blame him for being pissed. I agree though, the shot a Henderson was off.

Post #4   11/29/07 10:37:47PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar
Record: 332-207
Chips:
agreed

Post #5   11/29/07 10:45:09PM   

stickyhash421

Banned

Record: 62-33
Chips:
shonie=jealous

Last edited 11/29/07 10:59PM server time by stickyhash421
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   11/29/07 10:58:40PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar
Record: 724-436
Chips:
He seems really distressed, and he has every right to be.

Post #7   11/29/07 10:59:22PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Record: 444-230
Chips:

Posted by stickyhash421

shonie=jealous

Then they should release him.

Post #8   11/29/07 10:59:49PM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Record: 1,622-1,122
Chips:
i've always liked shonie, i dont know why the ufc isnt using him. like he said he is used as a gauge to see where other fighter are at. he has been through it all and is a crafty veteran. he isnt an easy fight for anyone. i would like to see him fight.

"SC: Somebody needs to holla at me brother. Put me in a movie. Did you see Forrest Griffin on the show; Randy and all these guys? What the **** man? I'm cost affective. I come with my own wardrobe. All of the fighters getting sponsorships and you see my shorts be looking blank as ****. No Toyo Tires, no Ecko or Xyience. What's up Affliction and Tapout? Put this in the interview: space for hire on Shonie's trunks. I'll even wear boy shorts if I have to and you know I hate wearing them fuckers. I'll wear biker shorts. I don't care. **** that, put patches on them. It could be Mom and Pops Greasy Spoon. I don't care."

that about made me spit out my soda, funny shit!

Post #9   11/29/07 11:12:20PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar
Record: 454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I don't think he's great, but it's sad to see a long standing name like that begging for sponsors. I'd like to see him do what JT did and say "I have other offers, put me to work or please release me" He seems to be waiting for a longshot at someone getting injured or sumthing. I understand asking for bigger money when you can, but some guys (like JT) will take smaller money for an interesting fight. That can help record and standing. If JT wins his next cpl, considering the camps he's w/ and making the move to the states, He could make a UFC debut in the next yr or 2. It's not all record, and some of it is marketability, he may not have the best record... but he's hightly marketable in the US (i think)

I think Shonie should ask for release and try to headline small events. Just me.

Post #10   11/30/07 1:06:37AM   

The_hungry_lumberjack

MMA Regular

The_hungry_lumberjack Avatar
Record: 263-169
Camp: Purebred Fight Team
Chips:
Man Shonie sounds like he's reaching the breaking point and I definately don't blame him. He's treated like dirt, got bills up the rear that he can't pay cause his employers wont let him do his job (which he happens to be good at) and the government is ****** with him too. He's pretty much broke after giving his entire life to the sport, and Dana "Solid Platinum Rims" White is making money hand over fist for being a (poor) promoter/figurehead. Shonie is one of the people that helped build the sport when it was small and he deserves to reap his share of the benifits not live in a ******* tiny ass house almost broke.

Post #11   11/30/07 1:28:25AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Record: 864-486
Chips:

Posted by The_hungry_lumberjack

Man Shonie sounds like he's reaching the breaking point and I definately don't blame him. He's treated like dirt, got bills up the rear that he can't pay cause his employers wont let him do his job (which he happens to be good at) and the government is ****** with him too. He's pretty much broke after giving his entire life to the sport, and Dana "Solid Platinum Rims" White is making money hand over fist for being a (poor) promoter/figurehead. Shonie is one of the people that helped build the sport when it was small and he deserves to reap his share of the benifits not live in a ******* tiny ass house almost broke.

Post #12   11/30/07 2:30:42AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Record: 1,356-790
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Does the UFC have a union yet?

If not,I wish they would realy find new management.Ican see a book now:

"Dana White.The rise and fall of the UFC".
How one promoter turned the fastest growing sport in America into a forgotten past time.

Something like that anyway.

Post #13   11/30/07 7:17:37AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar
Record: 254-148
Chips:
You know what book would be fun to read? How about "Dana white: responsible for the rise of the ufc in the first place"
How one promoter brought a sport from obscurity and turned it into the fastest growing sport in north america. You always have to give credit to the product, fighters in this case, but about 80% of this sports fanbase owes their knowledge of the sport to dana white.

Shonie carter is a bum and the ufc owes him nothing. Carter has 63 professional fights, only 6 with the ufc.. he has less of a claim to the origin of the ufc than ken shamrock, and i thought it was bs when he was calling out the ufc. Carter has lost his last 3 ufc fights and doesnt have a win in the ufc since he back handed serra in 2001.

Whats the ufc gonna do? keep him on the shelf until his contract expires unless an interesting fight comes up that they can use him in. He's not good enough to compete, why throw in a has-been for an easy win when for a fraction of the price, you can throw in a young no-namer with huge potential?

Why does nobody want to sponsor Mr. International? "Cause shonie dont give a ****" I suspect that nobody has wanted to sponsor him since watching him on TUF. Chances are, now that he's begged.. he'll probably get it from somewhere, but prepare to see mattress king on his speedo next time he fights.

Should the ufc release him? Nothing says that they have to, but a man has to eat so it's probably the humane thing to do. But seriously.. a guy who has been fighting pro for 10 years should have enuff money saved up, or the investments to survive a one year layoff. It's not the ufc's fault that he spends 3/4 of his paycheque on rhinestones and fur.

Post #14   11/30/07 9:59:22AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Record: 1,356-790
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
It's bad business.As many of stated before,Dana White is not interested in the fighters and their well being,he is only interested in the UFC itself.He promotes the brand and little else.To an extent their is nothing wrong with this,because in a sport like MMA you can't bank on having any one fighter dominate for very long.That in itself is a security measure which is understandable within reason.But when a guy like Rampage comes out and knocks out Liddell and then is compared to Buster Douglas by the companies president.Well I can think of more bad spots on Whites record than I can good.

"but about 80% of this sports fanbase owes their knowledge of the sport to dana white."

In America i will agree with you.But MMA was rich in Japan way before Dana White was even in the business.I would say 80% of the fanbase in america owes it to white.

If a guy like Shonie Carter was busted for child support they'll be some idiot columnist who rights an aritcle on how the UFC allows dead beat dads to fight in their promotion.In will be totaly wrong and bias,but it will happen.Worse yet,Dana Whites reaction to such and article will be loaded with four letter words and a lot of nonsense.

I understand were your coming from though and the part of Shonie to an extent.

Post #15   11/30/07 10:18:41AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2