Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Early Odds For UFC 79 - St. Pierre, Silva Favored

Print  
Best Wager To Make?
Matt Hughes +200 29 35%
Georges St. Pierre -250 15 18%
Wanderlei Silva -120 6 7%
Chuck Liddell -110 7 9%
"Lyoto" Machida -130 7 9%
Sokoudjou Even 18 22%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
The following are early betting lines from BetOnFighting.com for the big year-end UFC 79 "Nemesis" card:

Matt Hughes +200
Georges St. Pierre -250
- -
Wanderlei Silva -120
Chuck Liddell -110
- -
"Lyoto" Machida -130
Sokoudjou Even

LINK

Last edited 1/8/08 2:41PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   11/29/07 12:23:49PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
I vote Sokoudjou to be the best wager because he has the best chance of winning out of the underdogs. Machida has controlled the pace of all his fights and has a collection of decision wins where as Soko has finished all 2 or 3 of his valid opponents which leads me to be that machida will have his hands full. I think Soko will controll the fight I just hope he is conditioned for all 3 rounds just in case. He is strong explosive well rounded... it will be an exciting fight.

Post #2   11/29/07 2:10:09PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:
Im putting all my money on GSP and Wandy

I was looking forward to getting good odds on Serra but will feel safer with the cashish in Rush

Post #3   11/29/07 2:11:11PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
Wow, I never thought i'd see the day where I saw "Matt Hughes +200"

I think people are counting Hughes out, which I think is foolish considering what he's capable of.

I think The Hughes bet is by FAR the best value

Post #4   11/29/07 2:21:09PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Soko's an underdog again? Lol will Vegas never learn?

Post #5   11/29/07 2:23:50PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Not when its third time unlucky and he gets found out, he doesnt like being punched, i saw that in his loss to Glover, Machida will punch him alot and will win

Hughes at +200 is generous if anything, if you think that bud then by all means mortgage your house and slap it on him, but i wont spare you any loose change when i walk over you on the sidewalk

Post #6   11/29/07 2:32:38PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by cmill21

Not when its third time unlucky and he gets found out, he doesnt like being punched, i saw that in his loss to Glover, Machida will punch him alot and will win

Hughes at +200 is generous if anything, if you think that bud then by all means mortgage your house and slap it on him, but i wont spare you any loose change when i walk over you on the sidewalk

Glover was just swinging for the fenses, Soko avoided alot of shots, and got caught on the chin. You bet he'll get hit and we will see if he's got a chin, but he's got great judo, great hands, great kicks, great ground work, and if he has a chin he'll be a monster. Hendo seems pretty high on him, so I gotta believe he's tested that chin in sparring. Good odd's other then the hughes fight, I plan to put a sizeable wager on Soko, I love machida but I think Soko has alot more ways to win and have to go with him.

Post #7   11/29/07 2:49:24PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
I would bet on Hughes. I think too many people are getting too high on GSP because of what happened in their last fight...

Post #8   11/29/07 4:12:42PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
For anyone betting on hughes at +200 expecting to win is foolish. When hughes losses his ability to take his opponents down, he loses his biggest weapon. Georges will stuff the shit out of him, and pick him apart with his striking for yet a third time. The difference between this fight and the first two? They both know each other's strengths and weaknesses. St. Pierre's weakness is his head game.. chances are that with the confidence of their last fight, and the lessons learned from the serra fight, gsp has no more weaknesses. Hughes.. he's still not gonna be able to take gsp down and control him, and he's still gonna not gonna match up well on his feet.

With all that said, hughes is still an elite fighter.. if gsp makes the right mistake at the right time, hughes will take advantage and it will be game over.

Soko over Machida..

Machida's notable wins are with guys who did not belong in his weight class.. He's incredibly well rounded to the point where he takes whatever advantage he has over his opponent and exploits it, but in this match up, he's giving up noticable size, strength, and i think speed as well. If soko trains with quest, then his conditioning should be no joke. Soko will be able to push the pace of his fight, and overwhelm machida wherever the fight goes

Post #9   11/29/07 5:43:04PM   

Zekeil

MMA Regular

Zekeil Avatar

Career:1,214-756
Camp: Collinsville Clan
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by cmill21

You're a MORON to think that Hughes deserves a +200.
The house is going to lose their ass on that fight. I'm putting $500 on Hughes.

Post #10   11/29/07 6:09:07PM   

Zekeil

MMA Regular

Zekeil Avatar

Career:1,214-756
Camp: Collinsville Clan
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

For anyone betting on hughes at +200 expecting to win is foolish. When hughes losses his ability to take his opponents down, he loses his biggest weapon. Georges will stuff the shit out of him, and pick him apart with his striking for yet a third time. The difference between this fight and the first two? They both know each other's strengths and weaknesses. St. Pierre's weakness is his head game.. chances are that with the confidence of their last fight, and the lessons learned from the serra fight, gsp has no more weaknesses. Hughes.. he's still not gonna be able to take gsp down and control him, and he's still gonna not gonna match up well on his feet.

With all that said, hughes is still an elite fighter.. if gsp makes the right mistake at the right time, hughes will take advantage and it will be game over.

Soko over Machida..

Machida's notable wins are with guys who did not belong in his weight class.. He's incredibly well rounded to the point where he takes whatever advantage he has over his opponent and exploits it, but in this match up, he's giving up noticable size, strength, and i think speed as well. If soko trains with quest, then his conditioning should be no joke. Soko will be able to push the pace of his fight, and overwhelm machida wherever the fight goes

Yea like he did against a below average fighter in Matt Serra?

LOL, You are truly a fool. Hughes lost one fight and all of a sudden no one gives him the respect he deserves.

Hughes by TKO in the second round.

Post #11   11/29/07 6:14:27PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
easy buddy.. if all ur gonna look at is the win-loss column then by all means, bet ur house on hughes.. but how about you look at what happened in these fights before you end up homeless. Hughes is 7-1 in his last eight with wins over both gsp and bj penn (these being his only true competition). Against everyone else, he was able to use his elite wrestling and superior strength to bring the fight to the ground and control the fight there. The wrestling and strength advantages usually opened up submissions and mount positions that let him end the fights. But how about we take a look at what happens when he struggles to take his opponent down, and cant control them on their back.

BJ/hughes I was a perfect example of what happens when hughes cant win the striking battle, and cant take it to the ground

BJ/hughes II was another perfect example of what happens when hughes cant take the fight to the ground. At the end of the 2nd, I think during a shoot, Penn tore a muscle near his ribs and it screwed up his breathing.. when you cant breathe, you have no cardio.. and so hughes took the fight over what most people think was a gassed out penn. Had penn not injured himself.. chances are that the last 3 rounds would look very similar to the first 2

Gsp/hughes I was a young, inexperienced, very rookie like st. pierre. You could tell that he had the skill set, but lacked the mental maturity to execute in the cage. He did well, all things considered, but he slipped up and hughes capitalized like he can. What we did learn from this fight tho is that gsp's striking is well above hughes'.

Gsp/hughes II was a more focused, more determined, more mature st. pierre. He was in control of that fight from beginning to end. That fight was a perfect blueprint of how you beat hughes, and gsp had all the tools to do it.

Its not because hughes lost to gsp once, that he's going to lose again.. its because stylistically, this is hughes' worst matchup. To make things worse for him, gsp is just that damn good. Gsp has the confidence and maturity that he needs for his head to be in the game.. and that means lights out for hughes.

Post #12   11/29/07 7:06:49PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,969-1,003
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I think the best guy to bet on is GSP, i don't really follow the odds normally, i go with the guys who i believe will win the fight.

i don't try the big shot on a +700 guys neither that on a +200 guy, specially if i think he will lose.

i think that Liddell will win, but i am less confident than GSP , as for Soko, it is hard to put big money on a guy like that, specially agianst Machida who is very good to make you look bad and control the fight.

also, it will be the last even of the season 2, so for us in first place , we don't need to risk to much.

Post #13   11/29/07 7:29:27PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
cornish knows whatsup

wapp will tell ya the gospel

gsp + silva = $$$$$$$$$$$$

cash money

real talk

Post #14   11/29/07 11:49:16PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I think Machida should be a favorite and Sok being even is just cuz of all the money lost on him already. Machida, if he doesn't dominate and kill (dec or ko) will at least test Sok's stamina and chin. That hasn't happened to him yet. And Machida still needs a ko to really progress as far as he should. so this is a test for both guys. My pred is that Machida will win (dec is safe bet but I'd like to see a ko). Sok has the same punchers chance as he always has, but even isn't nearly the bet that +1350 was.

I think SP isn't worth the bet and Matt is. At even I'd barely pich Georges. Can't see the odds going that big after the 2 fights (some are acting like the last one is the only one).

Post #15   11/30/07 12:55:31AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2