Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frankie Edgar Discusses Spencer Fisher & Future

Print  
Posted By Message

adamsb

MMA Regular

adamsb Avatar

Career:531-352
Chips:
There was speculation by some Ultimate Fighting Championship fans as to whether or not Frankie Edgar would be able to handle Spencer ‘The King’ Fisher’s stand up game and in-cage experience. For those who doubted, they don’t anymore.

Almost as quickly as the bout began, the momentum of the fight moved in Edgar’s direction, and it was he who dominated the Miletich fighter through the final bell. For a man who has only eight professional fights, Edgar showed the composure of a much more seasoned competitor.

link

Last edited 1/8/08 5:04PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   11/27/07 5:13:52PM   

pgally2000

banned

Career:203-125
Camp: Team Moon Cricket
Chips:
Woot! Toms River represent!

Post #2   11/27/07 5:27:33PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I hope he fights Kenny Florian since he once one in Feburary or March because he actually deserves to fight the winner of BJ/Joe but if he wants one that soon he should fight Kenny Florian. Nobody else really deserves to fight him except Clay Guida if he beats Huerta IMO.

Post #3   11/27/07 7:46:58PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I hope he fights Kenny Florian since he once one in Feburary or March because he actually deserves to fight the winner of BJ/Joe but if he wants one that soon he should fight Kenny Florian. Nobody else really deserves to fight him except Clay Guida if he beats Huerta IMO.

so what you're saying is that sherk's stripped of the title, edgar deserves the next title shot? are you serious? This guy is the definition of lay and pray. I've ripped into people for using that phrase to describe fighters like hughes but this guy has only finished 1 of his last 5 fights and it was against mark bocek. This guy goes for the takedown and does almost nothing while on top, his ground and pound is slack, and lacks the skills to pass an average guard. Penn would embarass him, stevenson would outclass him in every respect, if he could get florian to the man, florian would sub him, and guida would probably outwrestle/outstrike him, and probably end up with a mount or sub in the scrambles/transitions.

Edgar deserves a chance to prove himself, but how about he proves himself against someone with takedown defense or solid jj? something tells me that if he loses the ability to take his opponent down and control him there then he's going to look far less impressive.

Post #4   11/27/07 10:22:37PM   

chokesetterjake

MMA Regular

chokesetterjake Avatar

Career:1,741-1,098
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Posted by NatedawgThaM

so what you're saying is that sherk's stripped of the title, edgar deserves the next title shot? are you serious? This guy is the definition of lay and pray. I've ripped into people for using that phrase to describe fighters like hughes but this guy has only finished 1 of his last 5 fights and it was against mark bocek. This guy goes for the takedown and does almost nothing while on top, his ground and pound is slack, and lacks the skills to pass an average guard. Penn would embarass him, stevenson would outclass him in every respect, if he could get florian to the man, florian would sub him, and guida would probably outwrestle/outstrike him, and probably end up with a mount or sub in the scrambles/transitions.

Edgar deserves a chance to prove himself, but how about he proves himself against someone with takedown defense or solid jj? something tells me that if he loses the ability to take his opponent down and control him there then he's going to look far less impressive.

Edgar is a top notch wrestler in that weight class with so/so stand up. not a bad start if you want to compare to names like courture, kochchech, severn, Hughes as far as getting in to mma with a solid background in wrestling. it can take you right to the top

Post #5   11/27/07 10:58:06PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
First, I want to applaud Edgar for decisively beating a tough fighter such as Fisher. However, Edgar was definitely not confident in his striking. I don't care what he said, he didn't want any part of Fisher's stand-up.

Similarly, Fisher didn't want any part of Edgar's wrestling. Simply put, Edgar imposed his will on Fisher and won the fight.

Post #6   11/27/07 11:50:41PM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

I guess you forgot about his fight against Tyson Griffin. Tyson has excellent takedown defense and Frankie was not able to hold him down and control him and he still looked very impressive.

Post #7   11/28/07 12:14:24PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I agree 100% wth the guys post exactly right above me. Obviously you forgot the Tyson Griffin fight. LNP? That was the most exciting fight of the year IMO. Up there with Huerta/Garcia and don't even say Tyson has bad takedown defense. He's has great BJJ since trains with David Terrel in a Gracie camp and is a great wrestler. He beat Tyson excitingly in every aspect of MMA. He finished Bocek who is has good grappling and he stopped him.

You want to talk about him not finishing his fights? Tell me what Lightweight, who's fought top 10 competition who finishes there fights? Not Griffin. Not Guida, not Huerta since he only stops low competition. Lightweights rarely ever stopped there fights which is why they are so exciting since they have 3 round wars.

Get your eyes check dude. He's had 3 fights in to the UFC and in 2 of them there were no signs of LNP. Only the last one and you can't blame him for it since he was going against a world class striker and it was way better then any of Tito Ortiz, Sean Sherk, Rashad Evans LNP. There was actually some GNP there.

Post #8   11/29/07 3:27:49AM