Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jorge Gurgel vs. John Halverson Set for UFC 82

Print  
Posted By Message

adamsb

MMA Regular

adamsb Avatar

Career:531-352
Chips:
UFC lightweight Jorge Gurgel (11-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC), who runs a mixed-martial-arts training center just north of Cincinnati, and John Halverson (16-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC) have agreed to a bout that will take place at a UFC 82 event in Columbus, Ohio. The show is set for March 1 at Nationwide Arena.

A source close to Halverson alerted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the fight earlier this morning. Gurgel’s camp could not immediately be reached for comment

link

Last edited 1/8/08 2:41PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   11/27/07 1:57:47PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:

seriously ..................... this is the weakest UFC fight ever made i think! neither fighter should be fighting in the UFC right now

Post #2   11/27/07 2:05:01PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Gurgel?.... Like watching paint dry.

Post #3   11/27/07 2:35:43PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-468
Chips:
I like Gurgel as a person, but he barely beat Danny Abbadi and I think my Grandma could KO Danny Abbadi.

Regardless, I don't think Halverson got a fair chance against Huerta so hopefully if he's legitimate he'll put on a good fight.

Post #4   11/27/07 4:11:04PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
TUF

Post #5   11/27/07 4:29:25PM   

Vietnamese_Guy

Standup Guy

Vietnamese_Guy Avatar

Career:198-109
Camp: Shogun Academy
Chips:
man, who cares? Gurgel disappoints me everytime i root for him.

Post #6   11/27/07 9:17:28PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

I like Gurgel as a person, but he barely beat Danny Abbadi and I think my Grandma could KO Danny Abbadi.

Regardless, I don't think Halverson got a fair chance against Huerta so hopefully if he's legitimate he'll put on a good fight.

Abidi was a HUGE 155. Dont forget he was on the show at 185. Also he is a very good striker. You just dont know shit. He has done very well on the WCL kickboxing circuit. Jorge stood with him and almost KOed him.

Jorges last fight he looked like shit. He did well in rd 1 but he did get his Jaw broken in the fight before that and wasnt even supposed to fight at all. But begged to fight as it was in his hometown. He spent most of his training camp with his jaw wired. He shouldnt have rushed back, but he has the balls to fight when mst dont. Jorge isnt the best fighter in the world but there can be only 1 best. He derserves a chance to fight like anyone else who isnt ever going to be champ. Like Florianand 98% of the other fighters.

Almst all of Jorges fights are exciting. Almst all of fights were fights of the night. His fight vs Ireland was one of the fights of the year.

Post #7   11/28/07 11:35:20AM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,117-1,258
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
Jorge has a giant heart, which can sometimes add more to his game then he actually has...I'm not saying he doesnt have much in his game...just that his drive/heart can help him out in some situations...

I dont know much about this Halverson cat, but I think Jorge should beat him, as long as he is prepared and in good shape/condition...he's fought some good competition, and I think he is better then he has shown recently..

Jorge by UD

Post #8   11/28/07 7:27:10PM   

atlas777

Standup Guy

atlas777 Avatar

Career:577-375
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
I like Gurgel as a fighter and a person he is a good person but not that good a fighter i would like to see him get alot better at fighting becuase he is a cool guy but the fact that he rarely wins and when he does its not in any exciting fashion like the abadi fight im pretty sure i could beat that guy and i wish i could get a fight with him becuase he sucks but i would like to see gurgel become a better more exciting fighter just like all the rest of the guys who have potential but arent very good.

Post #9   11/29/07 9:00:06AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I could care less about this fight... And am not sure how Gurgel keeps getting work...

You know what would be icing on the cake? If they made this the swing bout... sometimes I just don't get it?

Post #10   11/29/07 11:44:38AM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-468
Chips:

Posted by Brain_Smasher

Posted by kevietre

Abidi was a HUGE 155. Dont forget he was on the show at 185. Also he is a very good striker. You just dont know shit. He has done very well on the WCL kickboxing circuit. Jorge stood with him and almost KOed him.

Jorges last fight he looked like shit. He did well in rd 1 but he did get his Jaw broken in the fight before that and wasnt even supposed to fight at all. But begged to fight as it was in his hometown. He spent most of his training camp with his jaw wired. He shouldnt have rushed back, but he has the balls to fight when mst dont. Jorge isnt the best fighter in the world but there can be only 1 best. He derserves a chance to fight like anyone else who isnt ever going to be champ. Like Florianand 98% of the other fighters.

Almst all of Jorges fights are exciting. Almst all of fights were fights of the night. His fight vs Ireland was one of the fights of the year.

Relax there tough guy. Your supporting this Danny Abbadi guy and 1.you can't even spell his name right
2. This is mma not kickboxing
3.Almost doesn't count
4. He's not a huge 155 Sean Sherk is okay not Danny Abbadi
im joking around you should take his private parts out of your mouth and get your facts straight.

Last edited 11/29/07 11:13PM server time by kevietre
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #11   11/29/07 11:11:27PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Keep running your post count up. Your still a dumbass who dont know shit. The entire fight was on the feet for the most part. So his kickboxing creds do matter. Abidi is a bum of an MMA fighter but it was rarely on the ground. On the feet he was the same striker he almost KOed Herman and Herman didnt want any part of him on the feet.

Second Abidi is a big 155. Sherk is a stump. Abidi is tall and ripped at 155. Abidi was cutting just as much weight as Sherk does. Reguardless you probley never saw that fight to begin with. Abidi was much bigger than Jorge. Wether he was big for 155 is pointless arguement considering you dont know shit.

For the other posters who are jackass'. I agree with them. Jorge isnt a great fighter. His skills are very good but he dont have a fighters body. He is to small/stocky to lock some subs on people. He can but he has to work much harder than lankier fighters. His striking is decent and kinda technical for an MMA guy but he isnt a natural puncher so he just has to outwork them there too. But his skills are top knotch as proven by the people he trains. His student clean up tourneys and fighters are coming to him from all over. Homefully he cant over come having short limbs and become a dominant contender at 155. Either way he is good and his fights are fun to watch as he never gives and and always keeps coming.

Post #12   12/1/07 8:45:19PM