Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should Overeem try UFC?

Print  
Posted By Message

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Thought I'd bring this back up since it is much more of a current issue w/ the buyout. Does anyone know his contract status?

Haven't really seen this discussed yet. Alistair should get a title shot (along w/lil nog) rather than either of them... it is the ww champ? Alistair's already top ten or even five by the majority concensus. Not to question the fact that Hendo had one war with Silva and can prob'ly put on another. But Wandy may not defend the belt again this year. I don't know how much is left on Overeem's contract, but...

If he becomes eligible soon, and thinks he may not be in line to get a title shot in the next year or maybe even two... How do you all think he would do in UFC? I think he would def fall in top 3. I also think he would have a better chance of beating chuck than most 205-ers in the UFC. Including Rampage. Yes I did see the 1st fight, and no Overeem didn't gas he got caught, plain and simple.

Last edited 4/11/07 8:41PM server time by JimiMak
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/10/07 1:13:23AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I think Overeem should fight as a heavy weight so he doesn't gas all the time. As a light heavy he'd definitely be top 5 or higher in UFC. As a heavy weight he'd probably be Top 3.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #2   2/10/07 2:33:58AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,975-1,117
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I think Overeem should fight as a heavy weight so he doesn't gas all the time. As a light heavy he'd definitely be top 5 or higher in UFC. As a heavy weight he'd probably be Top 3.

I agree he should fight as a HVY , he's too tall and muscular to consistently make 205. I don't know about top 3 though. My personal top 10 Fedor, Cro-cop, Bg Nog, Sylvia, Barnett, Arlovski, Werdum, Kharitanov,Hunt, Aleks. I don't know if he would crack more than the top 7-10. Yes I know he beat Kharitanov, but there was an injury there. I think he has the ability, but is always worn out from making weight, I think I've seen you post this same thought somewhere. Anyway, I agree he should move to HVY in UFC or pride , but I don't know if he would ever make top 5 or better.

Last edited 2/10/07 3:02AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   2/10/07 3:00:01AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Oh, I meant Top 3 HW in UFC, not in all of MMA.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #4   2/10/07 3:15:46AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Oh, I meant Top 3 HW in UFC, not in all of MMA.

Got ya, makes more sense. Who do you think outy of Cro-cop. Arlovski ,Sylvia he would beat?

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #5   2/10/07 4:07:51AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Good question.

I don't see him being able to beat Cro-cop. Stand up wise cro-cop would own him, as hes beaten plenty of dutch kickboxers better than Overeem. Ground wise, Overeems takedowns are his weak link, and Cro-cops take down defense is top notch, so I see Cro-cop picking Overeem apart on the feet. I'd guess it would end in the 2nd or 3rd round.

As far as Arlovski, I think Overeem would probably have a 50/50 chance at that one. Arlovskis got the better hands, but Overeem is a better all around stand-up fighter. Overeem is probably better on the ground at this state, although probably not good enough to easily put away Arlovski.

As for Big Tim, I think Overeem would take him. Hes tall enough where he wouldn't be losing much power on KO blows, and his legs are long enough where he could spend two rounds leg kicking the crap out of Big Tim. Plus I think hes fast enough on the ground to take Tim. If he went into the fight with a lousy gameplan, I think Tim would dump him, but if he played his cards right he could do it.

Overeem always has exciting fights though, so it would be worth seeing.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #6   2/10/07 4:28:44AM   

OchoCinco

MMA Regular

OchoCinco Avatar

Career:1,163-742
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I don't think Overeem has a chance against Arlovski, Big Tim, or Cro Cop. He's just not good enough.

Post #7   2/10/07 8:02:22AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Overeem is great when he's on it, I wouldn't call him a top ten fighter in any division though to be fair, too much inconsistency in his fights and a great tendency to gas. You guys have got it spot on that he need's to move and stick at HW, especially if he is to stick in Pride, if the fights not over in the first round, then Overeem pretty much is in the second, the pace is too much for him and he's up against guys like Arona who will really take it out of you on the ground. I doubt he will ever challenge for the belt and he will always make a great gatekeeper for Pride who has the ability to cause an upset.

Should Oveerem join UFC? This is fantasy chat and is going in the lounge guys.

Post #8   2/10/07 8:04:19AM   

JayPinno

Learning to Sprawl

JayPinno Avatar

Career:108-59
Chips:

Posted by OchoCinco

I don't think Overeem has a chance against Arlovski, Big Tim, or Cro Cop. He's just not good enough.

Same here, but at the same time I believe he is wasting his time in PRIDE.

Unless he can beat Shogun or Lil Nog the PRIDE LHW division is useless for him.

Post #9   2/10/07 9:54:28AM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by nate22

Should Oveerem join UFC? This is fantasy chat and is going in the lounge guys.

I don't really care what forum this is in, but... I don't see how this is fantasy. Depending on what's left on his contract we could be looking at this possibility soon, IMO. He seems to have reached a ceiling in Pride, UFC has been doing a lot to bring in fighters, and I'm sure he'd like another chance at Chuck. Fantasy, I would think, would be more like chuck/wandy or can crocop KO a horse. Things we know willl never happen.

Post #10   2/10/07 11:07:44AM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
IMO Overheem would be very popular in the UFC and would be a contender to chucks belt

Post #11   2/21/07 12:43:45PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

IMO Overheem would be very popular in the UFC and would be a contender to chucks belt

Chuck already KOed him once. Chuck's gotten even better since then, I think Overeem has gotten worse.

The Iron Code

Post #12   2/22/07 12:40:32AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
But that was before Overeem had a ground game, wasn't it?

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #13   2/22/07 1:35:01AM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!