Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fedor interview (2 weeks old)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Link

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Just found it.

Last edited 1/8/08 5:03PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   11/25/07 10:17:40PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
crazy russians..

"I was satisfied when I saw an offer from `M-1 Global' first time. I was looking for an organization which can arrange the fights with the best opponents for me, and that is `M-1 Global'."

thats a load of crap. its understandable to say that you signed with ur own manager's promotion out of loyalty, because you want to promote mma in russia, because you felt the contract clauses were unfair and too constricting.. but saying that you signed with them so you could fight the best fighters out there? nog/couture/sylvia/gonzaga/arlovski/werdum/crocop/kongo... all under the ufc right now. You dont sign with M1 for top competition

Post #2   11/25/07 10:37:58PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,969-1,003
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

crazy russians..

"I was satisfied when I saw an offer from `M-1 Global' first time. I was looking for an organization which can arrange the fights with the best opponents for me, and that is `M-1 Global'."

thats a load of crap. its understandable to say that you signed with ur own manager's promotion out of loyalty, because you want to promote mma in russia, because you felt the contract clauses were unfair and too constricting.. but saying that you signed with them so you could fight the best fighters out there? nog/couture/sylvia/gonzaga/arlovski/werdum/crocop/kongo... all under the ufc right now. You dont sign with M1 for top competition

Post #3   11/25/07 10:43:22PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

crazy russians..

sure he shouldnt have said those words about him getting the top competition but like he said he can fight champions from OTHER organizations because m-1 isnt some power hungry company like the UFC..its the UFCs fault if fedor never faces any UFC champ..i dont kno why there so greedy an just wont cooperate

Post #4   11/25/07 10:47:27PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Chips:

Posted by wapttn

crazy russians..

Notice his words "ARRANGE the fights" Fedor was making the point that they will let him fight in other orgs. and even put a clause in his contact for arranging and paying to fight other champs.

I know what you're saying, but I think he meant that M-1 will let him and even help him fight top competition even if it's outside M-1.

There is a good chance that this could take off and fighters will be drawn to the idea of not being one organizatons B*tch

Post #5   11/25/07 11:12:31PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Chips:
i know what you guys are saying, but he knew about how the ufc operates and how their fighters only fight in the ufc, against ufc contracted fighters. He can try and make it out to look like he wants to fight in the ufc, but he made the choice to fight opponents outside of the ufc by signing outside of the ufc. Only nhl teams can play nhl teams, only nfl teams can play nfl teams.. thats how sucessful pro sport organizations work and you cant blame the ufc for trying to follow suit. At the end of the day, fedor signed with m-1, and its bs for him to say that he did it to fight top competition because everyone who follows mma knows that most of the top talent is in the ufc.

Post #6   11/26/07 12:27:36AM   

Hurricaneg

Learning to Sprawl

Hurricaneg Avatar

Career:456-236
Chips:
I would rather see all fighters under one org just because it benefits the fans. NHL NFL ect all have the best in their league and they produce the best action for their sport.

Post #7   11/26/07 12:29:22AM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,141-742
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by wapttn

crazy russians..

sure he shouldnt have said those words about him getting the top competition but like he said he can fight champions from OTHER organizations because m-1 isnt some power hungry company like the UFC..its the UFCs fault if fedor never faces any UFC champ..i dont kno why there so greedy an just wont cooperate

i see what you're saying but they cant bend to the will of one man, even if it is Fedor, it would be one thing if he wanted more money, but his management was demanding ridiculous things. If they let him compete in other MA competitions, they would have to let others do that, meaning there would be more injuries and they would have to work fights around MA competitions. If the UFC wants to do a Russian show, they will, but putting that in the contract as one of the stipulations is ridiculous

Fedor's Management are the greedy ones, they were looking to leach off the UFC to strengthen their company and using Fedor as the bait

Post #8   11/26/07 12:39:39AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Chips:
not bait.. leverage. and i think in the final contract that the ufc put on the table, they let fedor do combat sambo (who's gonna hurt fedor in sambo? ppl are too scared to even show up). I think the determining clause was the one where finklestein insisted upon having co-promotions between m-1 and the ufc. Seriously? how is that in the best interest of fedor? For me, thats about as obvious as the situation gets.

Bottom line, dont really know what happened behind closed doors.. we dont know the specifics of the contracts, and we dont know what the final demands were before both sides gave up. What we do know is that fedors manager refused to sign a contract, and one of the more significant reasons is that the ufc refused some level of affiliation with fedor's manager's fight organization.. at the end of the day, that should have nothing to do with whether or not fedor fights in the ufc.

Post #9   11/26/07 12:58:07AM   

xAcidburNx

Standup Guy

xAcidburNx Avatar

Career:672-426
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

not bait.. leverage. and i think in the final contract that the ufc put on the table, they let fedor do combat sambo (who's gonna hurt fedor in sambo? ppl are too scared to even show up). I think the determining clause was the one where finklestein insisted upon having co-promotions between m-1 and the ufc. Seriously? how is that in the best interest of fedor? For me, thats about as obvious as the situation gets.

Bottom line, dont really know what happened behind closed doors.. we dont know the specifics of the contracts, and we dont know what the final demands were before both sides gave up. What we do know is that fedors manager refused to sign a contract, and one of the more significant reasons is that the ufc refused some level of affiliation with fedor's manager's fight organization.. at the end of the day, that should have nothing to do with whether or not fedor fights in the ufc.

It was my understanding that what vadim had wanted was if the ufc went to russia. he wanted to be a part of it. not that he was asking the ufc to go there.

this is actually more of a question than a statement. just came out wrong .

I also think that running a fight organization like a team sport organization is a little different because of just that. Its a team vs team and you wouldnt want players leaving for something else mid seaser. where fighting is one on one and even in cases of team fighting its still one on one at all times. although having IFL running the top dogs of team fighters doesnt bother me all that much because these guys are still lower scale fighters and there is a lot more less qualified fighters out there then there are of the A Class.

Last edited 11/26/07 3:05AM server time by xAcidburNx
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   11/26/07 3:01:11AM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

i know what you guys are saying, but he knew about how the ufc operates and how their fighters only fight in the ufc, against ufc contracted fighters. He can try and make it out to look like he wants to fight in the ufc, but he made the choice to fight opponents outside of the ufc by signing outside of the ufc. Only nhl teams can play nhl teams, only nfl teams can play nfl teams.. thats how sucessful pro sport organizations work and you cant blame the ufc for trying to follow suit. At the end of the day, fedor signed with m-1, and its bs for him to say that he did it to fight top competition because everyone who follows mma knows that most of the top talent is in the ufc.

There isn't a single combat sport that works like that though. NHL/NFL and UFC is like apples and grease.

Post #11   11/26/07 3:36:06AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Hurricaneg

I would rather see all fighters under one org just because it benefits the fans. NHL NFL ect all have the best in their league and they produce the best action for their sport.

If a football player feels like he is getting screwed, he has 31 other options.

How is that the same as having none?

Post #12   11/26/07 5:34:18AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
fedors crazy and randys crazy (even though before he left he was the most respected person in mma). you guys may want to consider that fedor did what is best for him and that the problem is with white/ufc.

Post #13   11/26/07 9:45:24AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I think you guys need to read between the lines a bit

When I read this literally I am not thinking the best opponents out there, but the best ones for Fedor himself. What that means, I don't know, but one could speculate.

Post #14   11/26/07 11:55:06AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I think having open options is a good thing for Fedor. He is, like it or not, the top HW in the world. If he's fighting in elite xc one night, strikeforce the next, K-1 the next, and M-1 the next he'll have all of those org promoting his as the best fighter in the world. It's not only M-1 building Fedor it's everyone else. Seems pretty smart from a personal stand point?

Post #15   11/26/07 2:20:23PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2