Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Who u taking for Hughes vs GSP III ?

Print  
Whos winnings at UFC 79
Matt Hughes 32 25%
GSP 94 75%
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,397-1,758
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I'm taking Hughes, but I think St. Pierre will more then likely win. It's just like the Serra fight for me, I think Hughes will win, but wouldn't mind if St. Pierre won.

Post #31   11/25/07 3:40:36PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by Khaos

I'm taking Hughes, but I think St. Pierre will more then likely win. It's just like the Serra fight for me, I think Hughes will win, but wouldn't mind if St. Pierre won.

Well in that fight I took hughes even though I wanted Serra to win.

I think GSP will win this fight But I think Hughes will be more prepared this time. With a better game plan and he has a bit more of an idea of what to expect form him. I'm thinking a late KO/TKO for GSP.

Post #32   11/25/07 3:55:07PM   

hammerhead1

MMA Regular

hammerhead1 Avatar

Career:1,404-1,021
Chips:
(GSP by TKO in the 2nd)

YOU KIDDIN RUSH RD 1 T(KO)

Post #33   11/25/07 4:13:46PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
This saved the entire card

GSP 3rd Rd TKO

Hopefully GSP will have enough time to get ready for this fight, because Matt Hughes is no push over and GSP will have to be on his A game to win.

Last edited 11/25/07 4:15PM server time by fedorwins1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #34   11/25/07 4:15:07PM   

Cobbs666

Standup Guy

Cobbs666 Avatar

Career:1,063-740
Camp: *TeaM SaTaN*
Chips:
dont think this should be the main event but whatever...

Post #35   11/25/07 7:04:53PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,969-1,003
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by Cobbs666

what is your choice for the main event ?

an interim 5 rd championship fight between the top 2 fighters in the WW or a 3 rd fight between 2 guys who are coming from 2 lost each and are not fighting for a belt or for a place to be the #1 contender ?

Post #36   11/25/07 7:10:29PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
They both have given eachother poor performances in the past.
GSP got nervous in munber 1, Hughes was over confident and undertrained in number 2.
They both should be wise to eachothers tools so I have it as a 4th round finish for St Pierre. probably by ground and pound tko after a knockdown or something.
I have a feeling Hughes is coming out amped and ready for war.

Post #37   11/25/07 7:24:06PM   

sleevey

MMA Regular

sleevey Avatar

Career:729-440
Camp: Jaxallout
Chips:
Wow this has been great reading theses well thought out posts this is why I love mmaplayground.

IMO I think it will go the distance with GSP getting the nod either split or unanimous I still cant decide that. I am thinking this for multiple reasons.

First I think hughes loss to GSP helped him his ego was so big he wanted to be a one punch KO artist (thats not hi strength at all). Steming back to the Gracie fight he wanted to stand and bang. He was a victim of believing all the Hype. In those fights he lost the stand up bad ( BJ., Gsp and Gracie).

I see GSP getting the first 2 rounds Hughes will not win the standup nor will he take GSP down with ease. GSP takedown defense is sicl and lets not forget that it may even be the best takedown defense in the division also GSP has proven himself as a great wrestler himself in his wins over KOS and Hughes So in the first two a see a lot of clinching and a lil crisper stand up for GSP.

Towards the end of the third I believe Hughes will have finally gotten some takedowns and a lil GNP due to the cardio of GSP he his taking this fight on much shorter notcie. I think we will start to some fatigue in GSP one of Hughes best attributes is he is a cardio machine no one works harder than Hughes on his cardio. I did take into consideration that Hughes has not gone five since sherk back in april of 2003 but GS has not gone past the 3rd ever before but has gone the distance in 3 of his last 6 fights.

After GSP has the first 3 rounds and his tank is getiing a lil empty I see Hughes winning the last 2 rounds pretty convinceingly with steady takedowns some GNP and what he does best some great wrestling. I think the fight will be much closer than what people think I really believe that Hughes will not have the same gameplan as thier second fight it will be just to long into the fight before he can exicute it I Matt's last fight with Lyltle he looked like the matt hughes prior to his ego and vanity getting the better of him and he dominated a great fighter who has a ton of heart and some great ability.

IMO I think the difference maker in this fight will be as with most big fights is who has the bigger gas tank I think Matt does but it may be to lil to late but hey thats just my 2 sense.

Post #38   11/25/07 8:32:19PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
I’m predicting a much closer fight than most.

My gut reaction to the announcement of St. Pierre taking Serra’s place was that GSP would probably be finishing Hughes within the first couple of rounds with a TKO again. However, the more I think about it, the more I believe it’s going to be a full twenty five minute war.

Both fighters have proven to have the ability to take one another down, and I think that’s what both will be focused on more than anything this time around. I think we’ll see them both striking a bit here and there until either of them get a good enough opportunity to take the other to the ground. I believe the takedowns and grappling will be pretty even.

However, at the beginning of every round and at any point during the five rounds that they both end up back on their feet I believe St. Pierre’s got a pretty big advantage; like a Franklin/Silva type of advantage. I’m also not so sure Hughes will have the same type of confidence in himself going into this fight as he does against everyone else.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out, but for now I’m going with GSP by unanimous/majority decision.

Post #39   11/25/07 8:56:32PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by Cobbs666

Your right. What an inappropriate main event a five round (interim) title fight with probably the two best WW's ever would be.

I'd Rather have Rich Clementi and Melvin Guillard as the main event, or even Manny Gamburyan and Nate Mohr.

But George St. Pierre/Matt Hughes Part 3 for the interim title? Yeah your right. What a horrible idea

Post #40   11/26/07 2:28:27AM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
Of course I will be rooting for my boy Hughes but it's going to be a very, very tough fight for him to win.

The key to this fight will be the succes or failure of Hughes' takedown attempts. Hughes will have to avoid taking to much damage to his legs from GSP leg kicks to make sure the power in his leg drive is not diminished because it will take great technique and power to get GSP to the mat. GSP proved in the Koscheck fight how good his wrestling and control is.

If Hughes can avoid the big KO strikes on the feet and get GSP to the mat he really needs to keep active and try to damage GSP as much as possible. Even though Hughes' ground game is awesome I just can't see Hughes controlling GSP on the ground for an entire round or two, especially the first couple of rounds. GSP is good enough that he will get back to his feet. Hughes has to be relentless with his takedowns.

Hughes HAS to do 3 things to win this fight. 1) Avoid getting caught while standing 2) Keep top position long enough to wear down GSP 3) Have better cardio than GSP so he can take control of this fight in rounds 3 - 5.

I will be rooting like hell for Hughes to win but given the fact that GSP is more dangerous in more positions than Hughes, I will actually be kind of surprised to see Hughes win. But, even though he is an underdog, I think he has the skills to pull it out. This will be a great fight. I can't wait for Dec. 29th. Hughes by UD

Post #41   11/26/07 12:43:26PM   

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:
i'm gonna go for gsp, but i think its gonna be closer than either of the other fights, i think first round is gonna be a very tight one, with a couple of good strikes from GSP, second will go to hughes with some strong takedowns and slams and g'n'p and then in the third i think its gonna be close and hughes will either get taken down by a strike and tko'ed or submitted

gonna be an awesome fight whatever happens

Post #42   11/26/07 12:48:06PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
MAn i was so happy to learn that GSP would be Figthing Hugues its a way better fight that Hugues/Serra. I whink its gonna be a closer fight that number 2 but i still see Matt Hugues loosing in round 2 or 3.

I want GSP to do the same thing as he did to KOS, a little leg kick and take him down. I would love for GSP to do what matt Hugues normally does GNP to victory.

The only thing thats dangerous for gSP will be his gaz tank since he is kind of on short notice

GSP by TKO/2rd

After the loss i hope that Hugues Retires

Post #43   11/27/07 5:30:05PM   

tlangley

MMA Regular

tlangley Avatar

Career:425-240
Chips:
GSP. but i still wanna see Hughes/Serra after this

Post #44   11/27/07 11:45:07PM   

MattHughesFan

MMA Regular

MattHughesFan Avatar

Career:294-174
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I'm going with Hughes for obvious reasons. I'm predicting a late 4'th or 5th round TKO or a decision win. I really think Hughes learned his lesson and will be well prepared.

That being said unfortunately i wouldn't be surprised if GSP wins. A Lot of people are saying GSP will win quick and decisive and i am pretty sure that won't happen. U have the #1 and #2 WW fighters going at it to determine who really is #1 and #2 (yeah Serra in the belt holder but i don't consider him #1). Some one already said this and i agree completely that in fight 1 GSP got nervous and in fight 2 Hughes was overconfident with his stand up. I really do believe that the fight is going to be a lot closer then most are saying will, Actually i think it so close it's a coin toss, and i really do believe that regardless of who wins it's either going to be by decision or in the late 4th or 5th round and regardless of who wins it will be a war. I'll be rooting for Hughes though and he's my pick to win.

Post #45   11/28/07 4:17:36PM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4