Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Serra Injured, Withdraws From UFC 79 Card

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,000-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.... When the hell is GSP gonna fight for the damn belt then... Damn you serra! DAMN YOU!!!

Post #16   11/23/07 8:46:35AM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,692-1,190
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:
At least Wandy/Liddell can get the main event status it deserves now.

Post #17   11/23/07 8:49:19AM   

matthughes23

MMA Regular

matthughes23 Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
ST. Pierre vs. Hughes III for interim belt. (Hope hughes wins but don't see it happening) Then, Serra vs. St. Pierre 2 where Georges gets his revenge! Common Dana. Use logic and common sense. I'm sure Georges will accept the fight without hesitating

Post #18   11/23/07 8:51:59AM   

The_Grim_Reaper

MMA Regular

The_Grim_Reaper Avatar

Career:349-212
Camp: Soulless Ones
Chips:
come on gsp vs hughes come on!!! this has to happen then gsp can avenge his loss to serra if he beats hughes!!

Post #19   11/23/07 8:53:58AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,000-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by The_Grim_Reaper

come on gsp vs hughes come on!!! this has to happen then gsp can avenge his loss to serra if he beats hughes!!

...when he beats hughes...

Post #20   11/23/07 9:01:29AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
why not schedule GSP vs Hughes for the superbowl card? That will give GSP enough time to train properly, and is only 2 months off the current date. By that time it'll be just as easy to hype a GSP vs Serra II as it will be to hype GSP vs Hughes III. If the back injury is as serious as i suspect it is, serra wont be able to fight until early summer, which will be enough time for the winner of GSP/hughes to prep for that fight. Biggest problem i see with that senario is that fitch now lacks an opponent.. with him at no4 and 1/2/3 being tied up, he's gonna have to fight down again =/

Post #21   11/23/07 9:37:10AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I haven't cared much for Serra since he was on TUF 4. With that said, it's not the guys fault that he got injured, at least as far as we know and he at least deserves the benefit of the doubt.

However, this incident has to potential to cause many problems in the division and in the careers of the fighters.

1. The most obvious is that it will delay the title bout longer. Forget about GSP and Hughes III, I don't think it's going to happen unless this injury forces Serra to retire or be out for more than 6 months. When GSP got injured, whilst holding the title, he was given time to heal.

2. If Serra comes back there is potential for him to be rushed back into the fight without proper healing and/or preparation. (GSP vs. Serra anyone?). That has potential for a very one-sided fight with a finish due to injury. Let's not go into the circumstances that Serra won the title, but I don't want the converse happening and there being a list of "reasons" why he lost the title.

3. GSP will not get a title fight for a long long time and may not fight until then. I could see GSP fighting Fitch in the mean time, GSP is up for the competition, but he really has nothing to gain with that fight. Fitch has everything to gain. It's a fight that doesn't make any sense

4. Most other top WW guys:

Koscheck - could fight, but whom does he fight? Fitch and Swick are both AKA. Unless you have a rematch with Diego, what else is there?

Diego - Isn't he moving down to LW?

Karo - He just fought and rumour has it, has a broken hand

There are other fighters in the WW division, but you need a high profile fight to take the place of a title fight.

5. If this injury ends Serra's career, then there is no opportunity for Hughes and/or GSP to prove that they are better. The way Serra has been lately, he would probably make a point of that. So annoying!!!!

However, this is not annoying, this is a serious problem and could put the WW division in limbo for a long time.

Post #22   11/23/07 9:46:14AM   

Tombsuprat

MMA Regular

Tombsuprat Avatar

Career:1,398-826
Chips:

Posted by fullfighting

Dear Dana,
I agree there is way too much excitement for this fight, for it to be on free T.V. We should have it on a pay per view event. Screw the fans this is about money!
sincerely,
The F-brothers
Damn-It anyway, I knew this fight was too good to actually happen. F***'in bullsh** !

Um the Hughes / Serra fight wasn't gonna be on free TV......its UFC 79...

Post #23   11/23/07 10:07:38AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:

Posted by Rush

1. The most obvious is that it will delay the title bout longer. Forget about GSP and Hughes III, I don't think it's going to happen unless this injury forces Serra to retire or be out for more than 6 months. When GSP got injured, whilst holding the title, he was given time to heal.

Its actually nowhere near the same thing tbh because GSP won in November was going to defend in February but had to delay to April, the timeline is completly different this time around and that already too longer delay on WW title fights means making it wait another month when theres no real need too would be a bad thing imo

Champions have to defend within 1 year, if they dont after 6 months they can do an Interim title fight, its been 7 months so far. Even tho Serra wasnt given the chance to defend within 6 months now that he is seriously injured and most likely out for a long time there has to be an interim title fight

Id even say that due to those TUF6 implications during Serras reign if he isnt even ready by April he should be given extra time to defend his title, but it may be so bad he is talking 6-12 months or maybe even the end of his career

Im actually seriously thinking that the UFC would of been planning for this possibility, they would of said to GSP to be ready to fill in as he is the clear #1 contender and would be a perfect fight for either fighter, he would of been training and be fit anyway so 5 weeks is more than enough time, im SURE the UFC will make the rubber match, really it makes the supercard even better, this could be very good news

Post #24   11/23/07 10:15:18AM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
I wonder how Hughes is feeling right now.....

I was looking fwd to see that bastard going to the Hospital but because of a KO not an Injury....

Probably over-training because he was scared?

How long until wee see a title fight in WW??

Post #25   11/23/07 10:26:42AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,994-1,016
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
GSP is already top shape for fighting, he is trainning like a maniac at greg jackson camp, so bring GSP against Hughes for ufc 79 and i am sure that GSP will kill him.

it is not like a new opponent, they have fought 2 time already and i don't think Hughes can change is style of fighting that much for GSP to need more than 5 weeks of full training to be ready !!

i hate Serra 100 time more now, and i was the president of the fan club of Serra's haters !!! just imagine how much i hate this guy !! LOL

Last edited 11/23/07 3:44PM server time by tuvok500
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #26   11/23/07 10:51:19AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,473-1,157
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

GSP is already top shape for fighting, he is trainning like a maniac at greg jackson camp, so bring GSP against Hughes for ufc 79 and i am sure that GSP will kill him.

it is not like a new opponent, they have fought 2 time already and i don't think Hughes can chance is style of fighting that much for GSP to need more than 5 weeks of full training to be ready !!

i hate Serra 100 time more now, and i was the president of the fan club of Serra's haters !!! just imagine how much i hate this guy !! LOL

This is the only solution to this problem.

And if you are the president then I am Vice. I dont think I hate so much as dislike his "i am the greatest" attitude just because he got lucky and won one fight. He was actually not a bad guy until he became so concieted.

Please Dana we want an interm belt.

Post #27   11/23/07 11:20:28AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Props to Serra for pulling out instead of pulling a big Timmy.

You know Dana put a ton of pressure on him to fight anyways

Post #28   11/23/07 11:58:23AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
this sucks

Post #29   11/23/07 12:59:46PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Champions have to defend within 1 year, if they dont after 6 months they can do an Interim title fight, its been 7 months so far. Even tho Serra wasnt given the chance to defend within 6 months now that he is seriously injured and most likely out for a long time there has to be an interim title fight

I agree that the time lines are different in this case compared to GSP's. But...

First of all, is what you mentioned the rule or your opinion? Let's say it's the rule and that Serra has to defend within 1 year.

Unless Serra decides to retire today, I think the UFC will give him the respect and wait until the year is over. They might even consider extending that because it was their promotional arrangement with TUF that delayed it this long in the first place.

If he says he will retire due to injury, then I can see an interim Hughes vs. GSP 3 fight happening next month.

Either way, unless Serra says he's retiring, I don't see an interim fight happening at the end of 2007 and probably not until Spring.

Post #30   11/23/07 1:03:44PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4