Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Serra Injured, Withdraws From UFC 79 Card

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Muay-Thai

MMA Regular

Muay-Thai Avatar

Career:100-45
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
Matt Serra will have to withdraw from the UFC 79 card due to an injury he suffered after his training earlier this week.

The current UFC welterweight champion, who was scheduled to fight Matt Hughes at UFC 79, suffered a herniated disc in his lower back on Monday following a routine training session in his Long Island gym.

LINK

Post #1   11/23/07 4:02:09AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
YOU HAVE GOTTA BE FRIGGIN KIDDING ME! I was really looking foreword to this fight. Well wonder who will fill in? Come on GSP for interim title . Aren't slip disc's ussually reoccuring?

Last edited 11/23/07 4:07AM server time by cmill21
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/23/07 4:05:12AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Career:404-246
Chips:
To be honest I was waiting for this to happen, But not with this match, With the Liddell/Silva match.

Will they still have hughes fight? I doubt it because UFC are good at shelfing fighters. Funny but this kinda thing won Serra the belt I think, When GSP had to pull out of 67 coz his knee. He lost his motivation for the fight, Now Serra will do the same thing.
I thought he could beat Hughes come december but now he will lose to any one.

Worst news ever........................

Last edited 11/23/07 4:16AM server time by ufcboss
Edit note/reason: Changed my mind

Post #3   11/23/07 4:08:58AM   

Muay-Thai

MMA Regular

Muay-Thai Avatar

Career:100-45
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
This is the most brutal thing I have heard all month regarding the UFC.

It is horrible that we already had to wait until December for this fight to happen.. now what.

I would love to see GSP step up, but I doubt it will happen. I think the fight will just get scraped and we'll have to wait even longer, till he recovers.

I can't believe Sera has gone so long holding the title without defending it once. It might be close to a year.

Post #4   11/23/07 4:16:23AM   

ukgaz

Learning to Sprawl

Career:48-24
Chips:
Big blow to UFC79. What now? Do they push Liddell/Silva as main event or bring a replacement in for Serra.

Post #5   11/23/07 4:18:11AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Chips:
As much as I would just cream to see GSP/Hughes III for the Interm, It's just not fair to Georges, But if came out and won the fight, WOW.

Post #6   11/23/07 4:18:53AM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
Dear Dana,
I agree there is way too much excitement for this fight, for it to be on free T.V. We should have it on a pay per view event. Screw the fans this is about money!
sincerely,
The F-brothers
Damn-It anyway, I knew this fight was too good to actually happen. F***'in bullsh** !

Post #7   11/23/07 4:52:35AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Chips:
If they shelf this fight, They better make GSP re-earn his No.1 Contender spot or he wont fight till half way through 2008, Bad News for GSP fans.

Post #8   11/23/07 4:58:41AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Chips:
I got it!

Make it a No.1 Contenders match, Offer GSP the fight first, If he decline's, He is no longer the contender for the belt, Same for Hughes. I believe with a champions heart 1 month should be enough time to get ready, Im sure many fighters would take this up.

Then we see how Serra goes, They can still have GSP headline the Canada show.

Well??????????????????

Post #9   11/23/07 5:04:38AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
this sucks but we get to laugh during the last few episodes of the TUF 6 because you know they hype the Serra-Hughes match alot at the end so we get to laugh as they hype up nothing LOL

Sucks though. I hope GSP and Fitch can step up and fight. IMO, a month is plenty of time to get ready..

Post #10   11/23/07 5:10:15AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Well its a nice idea BUT what with TUF6 and all the hype and all they NEED to have those 2 fight so theres little doubt they will just shelve this fight until Serra is ready, but that will be a while as that is no minor injury

If GSP doesnt fight again for the #1 contender spot then he wont get his next fight until at least July!!!!!!!!!!!!! 11 months is TOO LONG!

If any of you think im taking this rather well i can actually tell you im not really typing what im feeling ............................

F*CK IT ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH WHY F*CKING HELL WHY?

Post #11   11/23/07 5:13:19AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Chips:
I think the UFC asked for this.
They always want some big super fight and there plans never go as planned. They should of learned by now.
Im straying a little but, IMO that Forrest and Rampage are the next coaches and there gonna fight when its all done, Then About time Rampage hurts his back and cant fight, Another fighter/Champ on the shelf. This could happen.

I bet they are locking Chuck and Wandy in padded rooms right about now.

Sherk- Shelf
Rampage- Shelf
Randy- Who knows

A.Silva is our only fighting champ.!!!

Last edited 11/23/07 5:53AM server time by ufcboss
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   11/23/07 5:50:44AM   

xAcidburNx

Standup Guy

xAcidburNx Avatar

Career:672-426
Chips:
with one month left i doubt stpierre will take the fight.hughes is not someone anyone will wanna take on short notice unless its a riggs moment where he would never have gotten a title shot otherwise. fitch and stpierre have too much to lose considering stpierre was sposed to fight for the title right away anyways.

my bet is if they do infact go through with the matt hughes fight they will give him a tough competitor like kos/diego, couple other names come to mind but lets go on. whoever wins this fight will fight serra. this is why i dont think they will make hughes fight because of all the hype they created surrounding this match.
gsp will most likely fight again before he gets a title match just so hes not rusty plus if hes confident enough he should be more than willing to prove himself. im hoping its a fight with fitch. that will definately determine who should fight for the title. although i dont want to see either of these guys lose, itd be a fight i would skip work over,
so even though the serra injury screws things up and puts another title on hiatus it also brings new platforms for next year.hope serra recovers quickly, rampage deserves his well earned rest, I hope couture clears things up soon and ima have a stroke if i think about the upcoming middle weight title fight too much.

P.S anyone know if boxing has this many injuries?

Post #13   11/23/07 6:36:04AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
So does GSP have to go through the rest of the 170lb divison again inbetween title shots???
So ironic how i dont care about Serra but that GSP wont get a title shot soon.
Hughes has to be first becasue of the Hype Serra tried to build up on TUF 6.

GSP vs Fitch is the only realy good match that can happen in the interim. B/C Hughes cant fight till his title shot.
But then Fitch is really the only guy who deserves a shot behind GSP (Karo is pretty close)

Post #14   11/23/07 7:34:26AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:

Posted by madmarck

GSP vs Fitch is the only realy good match that can happen in the interim. B/C Hughes cant fight till his title shot.

huh? how does that work??? This would be Hughes title shot, same as BJ's title shot is now for an Interim belt Hughes could be as well

GSP will surely be training and pretty fit as it is, 5 weeks is plenty enough time imo, and he should be so confident of beating Hughes again i really think he would take it IF the ufc try and make it

COME ON DANA MAKE GSP VS HUGHES 3 HAPPEN AT UFC 79

Post #15   11/23/07 8:08:11AM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4