Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

old school vs new school

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
could any of the old school guys from the early 1990s be ufc or pride champ against current competition?
royce was no match for matt. but what about marco ruas or don frye, could they (in there prime )beat todays talent?
i think they could compete at a high level but would probably be ranked top 10 maybe top 5 at 205lbs but not champ.
agree or disagree?

Post #1   2/9/07 8:01:57PM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:
I think with todays training methods evolving mostly benefiting younger fighters there'll be a point where some of the old school fighters such as Royce or Severn simply won't be able to keep up anywhere. Supplementation, Diet, and excercise have evolved to the point to where some fighters are almost superhumans compared to fighters of the past.

Post #2   2/9/07 8:30:50PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
yeah they would all compete well and be champs prolly if they committed themselves they way fighters do now...

back then fighting was not their first priority..they had to get second jobs so they wouldnt train to full potential...but now that you can fight full time and make great money doing it they can train and fight full time

so yea...they could all be just as good as anyone right now

Post #3   2/9/07 8:39:36PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,055-1,156
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
If you could transport one through time with the skills they had then, I still say no. They aren't as well rounded as the fighter's of today. However, if you gave them the time to develop and be more well rounded I think many of them would be. Warriors are warriors, If you have the heart and will to be the best you will. That being said the fighter from before the year 2000 who retired and could be the most successful if he time traveled to now would be Frank Shamrock. He's a loudmouth jerk now, but he was the most well rounded fighter of his time IMO.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   2/9/07 11:01:40PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Frank Shamrock and Don Frye in his prime could hang right now, but I don't think he'd be champs. Maybe even a young Ken Shamrock.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #5   2/10/07 12:06:50AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Frank Shamrock and Don Frye in his prime could hang right now, but I don't think he'd be champs. Maybe even a young Ken Shamrock.

All would have to swallow there Pride to learn more( from other people) and get better however. I don't know if Ken would do that. I could see Frye doing it, he took lessons from Frank once already. Put him with Militech Or Jackson's camp and I think he would be a great one even if started in this ERA.All 3 are legends of thier time, and all 3 had more than one skill even when they started so I agree the transition would be easier for them.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #6   2/10/07 12:16:54AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:3,041-1,688
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Frank Shamrock could easily destroy people today, and still does.

Post #7   2/10/07 1:05:38AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
Since a lot of us are completely accustomed to the new definiton of Mixed Martial Arts, watching older MMA events is pretty laughable. Those were the days when it was literally brawlers vs. wrestlers. vs. kickboxers vs. karate guys etc. etc. A lot of the fighters came in from there discipline and competed against other guys from different disciplines. That's why Royce was able to dominate because no one really knew about BJJ and it's power in a NHB competition. But now with every guy in MMA rounding out his skills to include at least some form of striking, grappling, and submission the old school one dimensional fighters would be overwhelmed.

I think this is answering the initial question, but if you are asking if the fighter as an athlete would be able to compete in today's MMA. Of course. Anybody with the physical capability, heart, and willingness to train hard has a shot at being a great fighter.

Post #8   2/10/07 4:21:12AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Frank Shamrock could easily destroy people today, and still does.

Frank has skills, but it's been a long time since he fought someone I would even consider to 20 . After he dispatches Renzo and Baroni( both fight's he should win and not top 20 IMO) I think he should fight Lousea . If he could find a way to fight a top 5 fighter I might be sold on him again

The Iron Code

Post #9   2/10/07 5:22:17AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

A young Ken Shamrock would get busted for roids. Not to mention he would get his ass owned at HW. Frank would have the best chance. Just for the simple fact that he best explefies cross training of the old days. He would have the best chance becasue he is the most like the fighters of today.

Post #10   2/10/07 6:31:40AM   

OchoCinco

MMA Regular

OchoCinco Avatar

Career:1,196-776
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

If you could transport one through time with the skills they had then, I still say no. They aren't as well rounded as the fighter's of today. However, if you gave them the time to develop and be more well rounded I think many of them would be. Warriors are warriors, If you have the heart and will to be the best you will. That being said the fighter from before the year 2000 who retired and could be the most successful if he time traveled to now would be Frank Shamrock. He's a loudmouth jerk now, but he was the most well rounded fighter of his time IMO.

Todays fighters are just to well rounded for the old guys.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #11   2/10/07 8:11:00AM   

Drago

Learning to Sprawl

Career:4-9
Chips:
The sport has evolved, its becomming more and more professional. As the pay checks increase the incentive also increses to train harder and use the latest supplements. Long may it continue.

Post #12   2/10/07 9:07:47AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
In the beginning you had BJJ. Then the wrestlers hit the scene. The guys starting realizing that cardio played a big part in lasting in a fight i.e. Maurice Smith and Frank Shamrock. MMA was going through phases with certian styles dominating and then Fran Shamrock showed that you had to be wellrounded with great cardio to win.

Just look at how much power Big Daddy and Tank could pack in a punch, but they couldn't win it all. I look at really 1 guy from back in the day that in their prime now could compete: Frank Shamrock. He had it all except a good attitude.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #13   2/10/07 9:33:32AM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
Not unless the step up, and start learning the new age stuff.

They will also need to train alot harder then old school fighers did.

So learn more new age fighting techniques, and better training = maybe.

Post #14   2/10/07 11:15:29AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I think Igor Vovchanchyn would do well in LHW...

Bas Rutten would do well at whatever weight he wanted...

Is Pedro Rizzo considered old school??? Could you imagine if he trained at Chutebox???

Pedro Rizzo's striking & chin + Wandy or Shogun's aggressive style = Dominante HW in any org...

Post #15   2/13/07 1:04:52PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2