Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

BabbyHughes

MMA Regular

BabbyHughes Avatar

Career:623-389
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
My God, this movie is going to be amazing

I so wish it would come out sooner.......

In a perfect world...It would come out on Valentines Day, so all the women around the globe would have to go see a Manflick with their boyfriends/husbands, and forever know how we feel every year

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/home.html?dl=undefined
some cool stuff on the movie site.

Post #1   2/9/07 7:40:13PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
agreed, definatly a movie for creatures with a sack filled with testosterone

Last edited 2/9/07 10:18PM server time by loller90278
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   2/9/07 10:17:46PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Hopefully they don't **** it up. Its probably the most intelligently fought battle in history, and I'm already not cool with them fantasying it up.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   2/10/07 1:11:19AM   

BabbyHughes

MMA Regular

BabbyHughes Avatar

Career:623-389
Camp: Slackers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Hopefully they don't **** it up. Its probably the most intelligently fought battle in history, and I'm already not cool with them fantasying it up.

What they are doing is taking the graphic novel (comic book basically) and are reacreating it. The comic book is based off of the battle of Thermopoli, but it has alot of fictional characters in it and battle scenes.

looks awesome :D

Post #4   2/10/07 3:48:47AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
I know what they're doing, but the original, non-fantasy story would make a fantastic movie itself. I guarentee the way it is, 90% of people who see it will think that battle never happened, and thats a shame considering how amazing of a story it is, all by itself.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #5   2/10/07 3:59:50AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,055-1,156
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Me and some buds are going to the midnight I-max showing. It's gonna be awesome.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #6   2/10/07 4:06:33AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
My girlfriend made me go see f***ing "Happy Feet" in exchange for her going to see this movie. So if it sucks I'm going to be pissed. I'm also eagerly awaiting the release of Reno 911: Miami.

Post #7   2/10/07 5:01:18AM   

tamarslay3

Banned

Career:19-11
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

My girlfriend made me go see f***ing "Happy Feet" in exchange for her going to see this movie. So if it sucks I'm going to be pissed. I'm also eagerly awaiting the release of Reno 911: Miami.

actually NUMBER 23 looks better

Post #8   2/10/07 1:47:17PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Chips:
i will not go see 23...

garbage

Post #9   2/10/07 1:49:06PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I don't think anyone will ever be confusing Thermopylae with Hannibal Barca's battle at Cannae or Alexander the Great's battle at Gaugamela. Both Hannibal's and Alexander's plans were brilliant and are still being studied and taught today. Thermopylae was a show of bravery per se. The Oracle of Delphi sayed that a king would have to die (the Spartans had two kings(always), for past religious misconduct. Yes, the men showed bravery agaisnt overwhelming odds, but that was how they were raised from birth. Oh hell, why am I telling you this. You recommened the book Gates of Fire, that was on Thermopylae right. Thermopylae was more about geography, superior war tactics ( specifically the use of the phalanx), and bravery. The phalanx and Spartan training were leaps and bounds ahead of the Persians, but the specific use of the phalanx wasn't anything new to the Spartans or Greeks for that matter.

Post #10   2/11/07 1:15:25AM   

Unkoman

MMA Regular

Unkoman Avatar

Career:578-339
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

i will not go see 23...

garbage

I agree another davinchi show looking crapfest

Post #11   2/11/07 3:24:32AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by Svartorm

I don't think anyone will ever be confusing Thermopylae with Hannibal Barca's battle at Cannae or Alexander the Great's battle at Gaugamela. Both Hannibal's and Alexander's plans were brilliant and are still being studied and taught today. Thermopylae was a show of bravery per se. The Oracle of Delphi sayed that a king would have to die (the Spartans had two kings(always), for past religious misconduct. Yes, the men showed bravery agaisnt overwhelming odds, but that was how they were raised from birth. Oh hell, why am I telling you this. You recommened the book Gates of Fire, that was on Thermopylae right. Thermopylae was more about geography, superior war tactics ( specifically the use of the phalanx), and bravery. The phalanx and Spartan training were leaps and bounds ahead of the Persians, but the specific use of the phalanx wasn't anything new to the Spartans or Greeks for that matter.

The armies of Asia always tended to be skirmishers and horse archers, and historically did poorly when hitting the varied geography of Europe. I actually think the psychological aspect of the battle was the most brilliant part. The machine-like percision of the Spartan hoplite and their dedication to always looking clean and untouched by the carnage around them are huge factors in warfare. The greatest part of that battle though was the fact that the entire Persian army had to march through Thermopylae, and witness all the carnage that transpired there. Being as the Persians were almost entirely slave and peasant troops, that had to have had a huge effect on the moral of men who had never seen war and death on that scale.

And if you think the average person knows dick about history, you're dead wrong. I've been running a historical trivia game at my work for the last year, and some of the answers I've gotten are downright embarrasing, especially in the warfare aspects. The average joe doesn't know the difference between WW1 and WW2, let alone any bronze age warfare questions.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #12   2/11/07 5:13:00AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Hey Svartorm, looking back at my statement, I guess it came off a little short and possibly insulting to you. I did not mean this. Your analysis of the battle is sort of what I was trying to convey. In short, Cannae and Gaugemela were more brilliant (militarily) in my opinion.

On a side note, what is this historical trivia game?

Post #13   2/11/07 3:29:40PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by Svartorm

hehe i ordered that book 3 days ago via amazon

i read genghis kahn and the making of the modern world during the summer and i've been hooked on war tacticioners evre since, hannibal, salah al hadin, alexander etc

Post #14   2/11/07 3:47:26PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Hey Svartorm, looking back at my statement, I guess it came off a little short and possibly insulting to you. I did not mean this. Your analysis of the battle is sort of what I was trying to convey. In short, Cannae and Gaugemela were more brilliant (militarily) in my opinion.

On a side note, what is this historical trivia game?

Don't sweat it dude.

We've got a whiteboard at work that the lunch specials go on, but being as I work at night, its blank, so I put up a trivia question at night. Usually its history, geography, or warfare related. It passes the time at night and has brought in a few customers who really like that kind of thing.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #15   2/11/07 8:22:54PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4