Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Former UFC Foe John McCain: "The Sport Has Grown Up"

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by Jang

The rules have stayed exactly the same since he said that.

But it's now officially sanctioned, take that for what it's worth

Post #16   11/21/07 5:49:21PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

how is this bad, he made is "human cockfighting" claims when the sport was unsanctioned, now it is sanctioned so he has no problem with it. stop ripping the guy because he made a correct statement when the ufc was human cockfighting, and no he doesnt want to profit from it, that is just plain ignorance.

Well to me i would think that it is ignornant to think that politicians arent out to make money.......If you ask me that seems to be the only thing that they do care about.....

Post #17   11/21/07 7:23:25PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,526-889
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by mrsmiley

Based on what grounds can you say that is ignorance?
His wife owned the company of the biggest boxing promoter.I can't see how anyone could be so blind as to believe McCain won't try to make a profit off of the sport he almost deystroyed.

that comment right there proves your ignorance and your cynicism, im not even going to comment.

Because you can't make a comeback.You can't prove he won't.

Post #18   11/21/07 9:35:47PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by mrsmiley

Don't let McCain fool you.When he says the sport has "grown up",he realy means big companys can make a profit off of it now.His wife is the heir to the Ainiser Bush (spell check) company,who was the biggest promoter of pro-boxing.Don't be suprised if in the next few years you see the Budweiser logos at future UFC events.

I don't get what you're saying here... Do you honestly think that the UFC and Zuffa wouldn't want to have huge companies poor money into their organization for sponsorships? Much like the fighters, thats where half of all the cablingy comes from, man???

Don't you think Budweiser logos would look good in the ring? I mean it's not as classy as Mickey's fine malt liquor, but...

.What i'm getting at is McCain wouldn't support a new radical sport,until it becomes a profitable venture.Which their's nothing wrong with just that,but he tried to stop it.In stead of just saying,hey,we need a better system for this sport,he wanted it totaly abolished from history.

Post #19   11/21/07 9:39:32PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
even though i detest MCcain's statements on the old UFC, i find it hard to believe that the UFC is the same as it was when he was criticizing it. remember, the rules were different and there weren't any rounds or too many forms of regulation or even organization for that matter. i am not denying mr.simleys accusations, if anything i think he has a pretty valid point, but to say the UFC is the same as it was back in '95 is as ignorant as McCain's comments.

Post #20   11/21/07 9:50:17PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:
Your right.The sport has changed to a degree.I just questioned why McCain would not lobby for rule adjustments in the first place..My biggest concern (and I don't mean to sound like and ass on this thread,but i do feel strongly about it) is about a lot of the fighters.Guys like Pat Militech and Frank Shamrock fought against guys like McCain who claimed they were barbaric and human cock fighters.Fighters today don't have to struggle like they did just a few years ago.Back then,you had to fight TO fight.As a long time fan of the sport,I would hate to see guys like John McCain,who did everything in his power to stop the sport,come in and promote products and gain a bigger profit from MMA than the fighters who fought against him.While I never ment to imply this will happen beyond a shadow of a doubt,i'm just saying it wouldn't suprise me.Budweiser logos might look cool in the octagon,but if it comes at the price of guys like McCain pocketing more money than a guy like Militech would ever see from the sport,I'm inclined to say no thanks.

Last edited 11/22/07 2:25PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   11/22/07 2:23:40PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
A politician flip-flopping his views?? Never seen that happen before.

Post #22   7/20/08 8:48:37PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:992-648
Chips:
I think its a load of crap!!!! This is just an attempt to help secure votes before election!!!!! These politicians are all the same

Post #23   7/20/08 10:19:08PM   

Quasar

Banned

Career:46-17
Chips:
Dont let this guy fool you he just wants your vote.

Post #24   7/20/08 10:32:21PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2