Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Former UFC Foe John McCain: "The Sport Has Grown Up"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
The following is an excerpt from an article from The Daily Telegraph:

Senator John McCain, of Arizona, led the charge to ban these competitions from cable television, describing the events as "human cock fighting''. Now he has revised his opinion, saying: "The sport has grown up. The rules have been adopted to give its athletes better protections and to ensure fairer competition.''

LINK

Post #1   11/21/07 7:40:29AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Don't let McCain fool you.When he says the sport has "grown up",he realy means big companys can make a profit off of it now.His wife is the heir to the Ainiser Bush (spell check) company,who was the biggest promoter of pro-boxing.Don't be suprised if in the next few years you see the Budweiser logos at future UFC events.

Post #2   11/21/07 7:53:30AM   

Jang

Learning to Sprawl

Jang Avatar

Career:172-93
Camp: Adeo Armifer
Chips:
The rules have stayed exactly the same since he said that.

Last edited 11/21/07 8:03AM server time by Jang
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   11/21/07 8:03:44AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jang

The rules have stayed exactly the same since he said that.

Yeah not much has changed in terms of rules since McCain started his campaign against MMA.It's just profitable now and he will be looking for his piece of the pie.

Post #4   11/21/07 8:17:49AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:
The bottom line is John mcCain claimed any transgression of the modern boxing rules was barbaric.He claimed UFC competition only appealed to the "lowest common denominator in our society",on the Larry king show.

Even Gold medalist like Jeff Blatnick (Greco Roman Wrestler) pointed out how ignorant some of McCaines claimes were when he started his compaign against MMA (around 95) stating"

"They didn't understand ground fighting."

and later stating

"They couldn't believe the concept of hitting a aman on the ground."

Even when weight classes were properly formed, gloves became mandatory,and more resrictions were made in how you could strike an opponent,McMain still claimed the sport was barbaric and needed to be stopped.It's only in light of the profits the UFC has made that he's changed his mind.
Because of John McCain MMA was almost deystroyed.He even caused Time Warner Cable to stop airing UFC events on PPV for a brief period of time.So let me ask you this.

If McCain only thought what the sport was lacking was a few changes in the rules,why,instead of asking for a new set of rules,did he go out to shut the sport down?

Extreame fighting was the first promotion to use gloves and weight classes,and still senators like Roy Goodard (McCaines buddy),made outrageous claimes stating Extreame fighting didn't even have referees for their fights.

It's all about profit and making money.Trust me,polititians like McCain couldn't put MMA under when they were against it,but they will do as much harm when they are for it.

Last edited 11/21/07 9:52AM server time by mrsmiley

Post #5   11/21/07 9:45:39AM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
how is this bad, he made is "human cockfighting" claims when the sport was unsanctioned, now it is sanctioned so he has no problem with it. stop ripping the guy because he made a correct statement when the ufc was human cockfighting, and no he doesnt want to profit from it, that is just plain ignorance.

Post #6   11/21/07 12:23:35PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:
Based on what grounds can you say that is ignorance?
His wife owned the company of the biggest boxing promoter.I can't see how anyone could be so blind as to believe McCain won't try to make a profit off of the sport he almost deystroyed.

Last edited 11/21/07 12:57PM server time by mrsmiley
2 total post edits

Post #7   11/21/07 12:52:41PM   

Ogre365

MMA Regular

Career:84-60
Chips:
Man **** McCain. I don't care what he says then or now. We survived when he was trying to destroy us and we are doing better then ever with or without his approval.

I wouldn't care if he fell to his knees and worshipped Dana White or kept talking shit about MMA till the day he died. **** him.

Post #8   11/21/07 1:55:35PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
so, do we prefer that he is still out to shut it down?

seems like we complain and talk crap either way.

I'm glad he is making these statements in public.

Post #9   11/21/07 2:44:31PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

so, do we prefer that he is still out to shut it down?

seems like we complain and talk crap either way.

I'm glad he is making these statements in public.

So If I went up to you and said "You're a piece of ****", kicked you in the face, and went publicly saying you have no place in this country.... THEN.... went publicly and said... he's grown up now, he can stay.

Would that make it alright?

Your friends would have no grounds to question the sincerity of my statement?

Post #10   11/21/07 2:56:27PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I'd feel better about you now that you're okay w/me.

"I don't approve of this sport" isn't the same as "i don't approve of this person."

i dont' really care about his motives I care about the message he's sending to the country regarding MMA. The sport has progressed a lot since 1995.

a huge opponent is now publically okaying it.

Yay!

Post #11   11/21/07 4:26:53PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

I'd feel better about you now that you're okay w/me.

"I don't approve of this sport" isn't the same as "i don't approve of this person."

i dont' really care about his motives I care about the message he's sending to the country regarding MMA. The sport has progressed a lot since 1995.

a huge opponent is now publically okaying it.

Yay!

Post #12   11/21/07 4:38:08PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Based on what grounds can you say that is ignorance?
His wife owned the company of the biggest boxing promoter.I can't see how anyone could be so blind as to believe McCain won't try to make a profit off of the sport he almost deystroyed.

that comment right there proves your ignorance and your cynicism, im not even going to comment.

Post #13   11/21/07 5:22:10PM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:
Regardless of rules changes and whether or not it was sanctioned then or is now, whatever. The UFC has become more established now. I think the UFC has passed its infancy stage and McCain, whether he is pro or anti UFC, can no longer greatly impact the sport.

The thing to takeaway here is that its always good for the sport when we make new fans or supporters. It can only help.

Post #14   11/21/07 5:33:20PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Don't let McCain fool you.When he says the sport has "grown up",he realy means big companys can make a profit off of it now.His wife is the heir to the Ainiser Bush (spell check) company,who was the biggest promoter of pro-boxing.Don't be suprised if in the next few years you see the Budweiser logos at future UFC events.

I don't get what you're saying here... Do you honestly think that the UFC and Zuffa wouldn't want to have huge companies poor money into their organization for sponsorships? Much like the fighters, thats where half of all the cablingy comes from, man???

Don't you think Budweiser logos would look good in the ring? I mean it's not as classy as Mickey's fine malt liquor, but...

Post #15   11/21/07 5:47:17PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2