Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frankie Edgar is too small.

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Edgar is fine at the weight he is at, but I don't think he is ready to be champion yet or within the next couple months.

Penn, Stevenson, Sherk, Florian would all beat him at the moment. Edgar is good, but the only way he would be able to beat any of those four guys would be by being able to finish, and I'm not sure he knows how to finish consistently.

He can win decisions against most of the division, but he would need a sub or KO to win against the four elite fighters. There is just no way he has the size to go five rounds with those guys

Post #16   11/19/07 5:00:01PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I agree with the TS. Edgar will have major problems against wrestlers who are stronger than he is, a la Sherk. I really think Edgar has a bright future in MMA, but when he runs into someone else who has a similar background as him and walks around at 170+ he is going to have a real tough time.

In my wrestling career, I've seen pure strength give the edge to two otherwise evenly matched opponents so many times. 155 has become the most athletic class in MMA, and we are seeing a good group smaller LWs out there. Unfortunately for them, the other trend is real quality 170ers dropping down. BJ, Florian, Sherk, Stevenson, and maybe Diego if drops down all have a size advantage that will keep some of the most exciting LWs from reaching the top.

Post #17   11/19/07 5:07:26PM   

nitro29

Learning to Sprawl

nitro29 Avatar

Career:295-190
Camp: MidwestSwing
Chips:
until he's beaten, he should stay at 155.

Post #18   11/19/07 5:12:03PM   

stickyhash421

Banned

Career:62-33
Chips:
too many weight classes...in fact

HW: 220+
LH: 200-220
MW: 180-200
WW: 160-180
LW: 140-160

Post #19   11/20/07 5:14:42AM   

stickyhash421

Banned

Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Edgar is fine at the weight he is at, but I don't think he is ready to be champion yet or within the next couple months.

Penn, Stevenson, Sherk, Florian would all beat him at the moment. Edgar is good, but the only way he would be able to beat any of those four guys would be by being able to finish, and I'm not sure he knows how to finish consistently.

He can win decisions against most of the division, but he would need a sub or KO to win against the four elite fighters. There is just no way he has the size to go five rounds with those guys

mehh florian and sherk are not elite, but whatever

Last edited 11/20/07 5:17AM server time by stickyhash421
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   11/20/07 5:16:34AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Chips:

Posted by stickyhash421

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Ok then, who are the elite LWs? In your opinion?

Post #21   11/20/07 8:11:36AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
/\ well it would be the 7/8 guys ranked above them mate, Gomi/Kawajiri/Melendez etc etc

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by NatedawgThaM

NO WAY he should fight the winner of Clay/Huerta. He should be next in line for a title shot.

You realize that would mean he wouldn't fight for several months? Penn & Stevenson are scheduled to meet on January 19th, so the next title fight could maybe be in... I dunno... April? You want Edgar sitting on his hands that long?

Nope he said Edgar should fight the winner of Clay/Huerta, so that fight would be around March/April and the winner could be ready to fight the winner of Sherk VS JS/BJ which will likely happen around the same time

Last edited 11/20/07 9:45AM server time by CornishMMA

Post #22   11/20/07 9:44:24AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Chips:

well it would be the 7/8 guys ranked above them mate, Gomi/Kawajiri/Melendez etc etc

Well since the discussion is about Edgar's prospects in the UFC... and none of the guys you mentioned are there... and this is the UFC discussion room... I don't think any of those guys play into what we are talking about here.

Post #23   11/20/07 10:12:56AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Yeah i spose he didnt really say "elite in the ufc" and was thinking elite lw's in general

Post #24   11/20/07 10:17:28AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Yeah i spose he didnt really say "elite in the ufc" and was thinking elite lw's in general

I could roll with that.

I do not like Sherk, and I loathe watching him fight most of the time. But assuming he does not deflate coming of the juice, I just don't see a fighter like Gomi beating him. This is kind of hijacking the thread here, but who sees Gomi winning that fight and how?

Post #25   11/20/07 10:50:03AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Nope he said Edgar should fight the winner of Clay/Huerta, so that fight would be around March/April and the winner could be ready to fight the winner of Sherk VS JS/BJ which will likely happen around the same time

I read it as "Edgar should not fight the winner of Clay-Huerta", as I'd originally suggested, "and should simply await the next title fight." It's academic, really.

Anyway, I don't think you can reasonably cut Florian out of the title picture, especially if Sherk is stripped of the belt. He and Edgar are on a collision course, in my mind.

Only Doerksen and Gono were given post-78 medical suspensions, and I'm not sure Fisher hit Edgar more than a few times. My guess is he could fight again at UFC 80, 19 January - especially if a title shot were in the bargain (and I don't think there'd be any question that the winner of that match would deserve a title shot).

Post #26   11/20/07 10:58:07AM   

stickyhash421

Banned

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by stickyhash421

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Ok then, who are the elite LWs? In your opinion?

i should probably stop or get flamed but i just dont consider them "elite", there good but i just dont see a top 5 contender in them

Last edited 11/20/07 6:12PM server time by stickyhash421

Post #27   11/20/07 6:11:52PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I wont flame you. You have a right to your opinion.

I am not a fan of Sherk, but the fact is he is an athletic freak (probably steroids) and he can impose his strength on anyone in that weight class.

Florian I am a fan of and I think his Muay Thai is better than almost all other lightweights in the UFC and his ju-jitsu is very strong. I think he is in the same class as Stevenson, Penn, and Sherk.

Plus Florian knows how to gameplan for each opponent and seems to always bring in the perfect strategy

Post #28   11/20/07 6:42:59PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Chips:
No flamage at all, I just was wondering who you think the top 5 LWs in the UFC if Sherk and Florian are not among them?

Post #29   11/20/07 6:48:39PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2