Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sammy Vasquez Fighting For His Life

Print  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Sammy Vasquez has been fighting for his life in Saint Joseph Medical Center’s Critical Care Unit since the night of his Oct. 20 Renegades Extreme Fighting bout at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas. Revolution Dojo’s Vasquez (1-2) suffered a third-round KO loss to Vince Libardi (4-3) before being taken to the hospital by local medical technicians seated cageside.

Vasquez’s 26 days in critical condition have resulted in multiple blood clots, fluid on his brain, brain swelling and, most recently, a massive stroke he suffered last Friday, according to messages left on the TXMMA.com forum by Vasquez’s wife, Sandra. In the latest posting, dated Nov. 12, the family asked not to be contacted and simply requested prayers. Vasquez’s mother spoke with The Fight Network on Tuesday but would only confirm her son is 35 years old and the father of a 7-year-old.

LINK

Post #1   11/16/07 6:57:43AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Ive got my fingers crossed Sammy pulls through with no longterm brain damage, its so scary that there was no real reason why this happened and was just a normal mma fight with a normal ko finish

Post #2   11/16/07 7:03:35AM   

EvilScott

MMA Regular

EvilScott Avatar

Career:681-409
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
A buddy of mine saw the fight - Sammy was KO'd when he was slammed and landed on the back of his head.

The Texas Boxing Commission is TERRIBLE though, and I wouldn't be surprised if this guy wasn't medically fit to fight in the first place.

Last edited 11/16/07 12:34PM server time by EvilScott
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   11/16/07 12:33:52PM