Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The state of the UFC's Middleweight division II.

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

where did you get the records for the fighters?

Sherdog. Of course they could be wrong, but I don't have the resources to verify their stats.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #16   11/15/07 10:32:48AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Naturaldisaster

where did you get the records for the fighters?

Sherdog. Of course they could be wrong, but I don't have the resources to verify their stats.

yeah I feel ya. most of sherdogs records are wrong anyway so no body really knows people records

Post #17   11/15/07 10:48:46AM   

stickyhash421

Banned

Career:62-33
Chips:
if you look more youll see the middleweight division is hardly weak, its not their fault the ufc wont sign them, plenty of fighters at LH or WW could move up to MW if they wanted to, it would not be that hard at all for some fighters, st. pierre would do good at 185 against anderson silva and hendo could move down. but fighters like kang, filho and lindland etc. wont sign with the ufc for whatever reason wheather its their fault or not which makes it seem like a bad division which its not. just maybe anderson silva is a very dominate fighter and perhaps he wont be "exposed" or at least for a long time, his losses are controvercial.

Post #18   11/17/07 4:30:56AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by stickyhash421

if you look more youll see the middleweight division is hardly weak, its not their fault the ufc wont sign them, plenty of fighters at LH or WW could move up to MW if they wanted to, it would not be that hard at all for some fighters, st. pierre would do good at 185 against anderson silva and hendo could move down. but fighters like kang, filho and lindland etc. wont sign with the ufc for whatever reason wheather its their fault or not which makes it seem like a bad division which its not. just maybe anderson silva is a very dominate fighter and perhaps he wont be "exposed" or at least for a long time, his losses are controvercial.

Note that my commentary was specifically about the UFC's Middleweight division only, and not about 185-lb fighters worldwide.

You're right that some non-Middleweight UFC fighters could fight at 185 if they wanted to, but there aren't many who would be worthy contenders, imho. Henderson is the obvious choice there, but I think we've already covered that.

GSP could probably fight at 185, yes. However, I don't know why he'd want to, until and unless he achieves a dominance over the Welterweight division similar to Silva's dominance of the Middleweight division. That isn't likely, though, since (a) St. Pierre isn't the Champion yet, and (b) the UFC's Welterweight division is far deeper than its Middleweight division.

A while ago, Matt Hughes said that if he lost to Matt Serra, and if Rich Franklin lost his rematch with Silva, he might move up to 185. I think a lot of us will be surprised if he loses to Serra, though.

There's also been some talk of Michael Bisping dropping down to 185 if he hits a wall at 205. It's too early to say that he won't get anywhere in the LHW division, though. He's clearly still on an upward developmental curve, so we may not know for sure whether he can cut the mustard at 205 for a year.

I think the apparent dominance of the champion is part of what people mean when they criticize a whole division. It's not that there aren't any good fighters. In fact, if Silva and Franklin magically disappeared, the remaining UFC Middleweights would suddenly find themselves in a highly-competitive roller-coaster of a division.

Post #19   11/17/07 12:31:20PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2