Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Why Brock is fighting Frank Mir

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Career:31-27
Camp: Keyboard Warriors of LMAOville
Chips:
Alot of people are wondering why Brock's first opponent is Frank Mir. Heres an interview with Brock where he specifically asked for an opponent with credentials.

Interview

""I'm looking to fight somebody with credentials. I'm not just talking Silver Medals in Judo. I want a belt. I've fought a lot of tomato cans. I've already had it. You know? I want a fillet Mignon. Let's do it, and do it right. I want to fight somebody, somebody that's got credentials because I've got them too. There isn't a wrestler, there isn't a heavyweight out there my size that has done the things I've done."

Post #1   11/7/07 1:36:11PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:903-534
Chips:
I may be wr-wr-wr-incorrect, but I think Lesnar may be biting off more than he can chew with Mir. Yes, Lesnar is a big guy, lots of scary muscles, and blah blah blah, but Mir is pretty big as well (Sherdog lists him as 6'1" 240 lbs - bigger than the Fedorminator).
"I've fought alot of tomato cans" - Lesnar is just barely beginning his MMA career. Of course, he's fought (sparred) with tomato cans, guys at skill levels that he is able to use pure strength to overwhelm. That wont be the case with Mir. Sure, people can argue that Mir isnt the same fighter that he was prior to his accident, but surely he can still slip a submission onto an inexperienced fighter such as um.. oh yeah, Lesnar.
"I'm a fighter, and I believe that if somebody should be holding a belt in the UFC, it's Brock Lesnar." - God, I hate when people refer to themselves in the third person as they come off as such pretentious douchebags. "George is getting upset!"
I know that there is a method to DW's madness and I would surely like to know the real M.O. behind this fight, beyond all the speculation. Mir's strategy should be applying chokes whenever possible. Even if Lesnar powers his way out of every one of them, bigger muscles require lots of oxygen......

-OUT-

Last edited 11/8/07 2:23AM server time by three_days_of_grey
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/7/07 2:33:08PM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
I know i should expect this kind of hubris from a former professional wrestler but I really cant stand this guy. Unfortunately i think he will beat Mir but i hope someone in the near future shuts him up.

Post #3   11/7/07 2:35:18PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,237-1,202
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by three_days_of_grey

I may be wr-wr-wr-incorrect, but I think Lesnar may be biting off more than he can chew with Mir. Yes, Lesnar is a big guy, lots of scary muscles, and blah blah blah, but Mir is pretty big as well (Sherdog lists him as 6'1" 240 lbs - bigger than the Fedorminator).
"I've fought alot of tomato cans" - Lesnar is just barely beginning his MMA career. Of course, he's fought (sparred) with tomato cans, guys at skill levels that he are able to use pure strength to overwhelm. That wont be the case with Mir. Sure, people can argue that Mir isnt the same fighter that he was prior to his accident, but surely he can still slip a submission onto an inexperienced fighter such as um.. oh yeah, Lesnar.
""I'm a fighter, and I believe that if somebody should be holding a belt in the UFC, it's Brock Lesnar." - God, I hate when people refer to themselves in the third person as they come as such pretentious douchebags. "George is getting upset!"
I know that there is a method to DW's madness and I would surely like to know the real M.O. behind this fight, beyond all the speculation. Mir's strategy should be applying chokes whenever possible. Even if Lesnar powers his way out of every one of them, bigger muscles require lots of oxygen......

-OUT-

Maybe Lesnar will have a special strategy like distracting the refere with a girl and hitting Mir behind the head with a chair !! LOL

Post #4   11/7/07 2:45:25PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
I really respect Brock for being a standup guy. He could have came in and accepted his match against Brad Imes, but he wants to fight the best. That's all that you can expect. You don't want fighters to be afraid of the top guys. You don't want fighters to fight tomato cans, like they did in Pride. You want them to come in and ask for the best.

Post #5   11/7/07 2:47:41PM   

scoozna

10 Year Service Award Winner

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,957-1,723
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Scenario #1: Mir wins - then I'm really happy because I like Mir alot an he shuts Lesnar up.

Scenario #2: Lesnar wins - OK, so I'm out some phony money and we have a new contender in th HW division that is ready for the next step.

It's a win-win.

Last edited 11/7/07 3:09PM server time by scoozna
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   11/7/07 3:09:17PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:3,116-1,776
Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

I really respect Brock for being a standup guy. He could have came in and accepted his match against Brad Imes, but he wants to fight the best. That's all that you can expect. You don't want fighters to be afraid of the top guys. You don't want fighters to fight tomato cans, like they did in Pride. You want them to come in and ask for the best.

i like the fact that he wants to come in and make a splash right away too, but the imes thing was purely internet rumor so its really a moot point.

Post #7   11/7/07 3:13:24PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
You guys do realize Lesnar is getting the reaction he probably wants right? He is making controversy for his match! He is gaining viewer ship and creating a cashcow for him! I am excited for this match and he has only had one match! Win or lose, Lesnar is a good money maker, for both him, his opponents, and the UFC.

Post #8   11/7/07 4:03:52PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
ive been sayin brock is going lose for awhile now and thats imo, so where is all the people that have put me down and said brock is going kill anyone in the HW div? now that you see who he is fightin now what do you brock lovers think?

Post #9   11/7/07 4:11:58PM   

Hurricane_Brad

MMA Regular

Hurricane_Brad Avatar

Career:239-159
Chips:
I do think that Brock has great potential for MMA, but this is only his second freaking fight, and Mir is a former HW champion! He hasn't been put into any tough situations and really tested yet. I think Mir is going to do just that, and I think Lesnar's inexperience will show. He will make a mistake, and Mir will capitalize on it.

Post #10   11/7/07 4:22:43PM   

youknowit

Learning to Sprawl

youknowit Avatar

Career:330-267
Camp: HardHitters
Chips:
That is prop worthy

Post #11   11/7/07 5:03:13PM   

youknowit

Learning to Sprawl

youknowit Avatar

Career:330-267
Camp: HardHitters
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by three_days_of_grey

"I've fought alot of tomato cans" - Lesnar is just barely beginning his MMA career. Of course, he's fought (sparred) with tomato cans, guys at skill levels that he are able to use pure strength to overwhelm. That wont be the case with Mir. Sure, people can argue that Mir isnt the same fighter that he was prior to his accident, but surely he can still slip a submission onto an inexperienced fighter such as um.. oh yeah, Lesnar.
""I'm a fighter, and I believe that if somebody should be holding a belt in the UFC, it's Brock Lesnar." - God, I hate when people refer to themselves in the third person as they come as such pretentious douchebags. "George is getting upset!"

-OUT-

Maybe Lesnar will have a special strategy like distracting the refere with a girl and hitting Mir behind the head with a chair !! LOL

That is prop worthy

Post #12   11/7/07 5:04:28PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
Pure WWE-type talking. He still have some actor skills left.

Post #13   11/7/07 11:30:03PM   

wolfgarnaud

MMA Regular

wolfgarnaud Avatar

Career:214-136
Chips:
a lot of talking but the whole interview goes not where, Mir is gonna break Lesnar's Arm

Post #14   11/8/07 12:25:21AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,054-1,311
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think the outcome will just depend on how how Frank Mir comes into this fight.While he has a solid ground game,and he's proven it in the past,with Lenars size and strength we might be seeing shades of Nog VS Sapp all over again.

I think Broc will fight a smarter game than that however,and we will see maybe a bit more of a technical fight than we expect.

Post #15   11/8/07 5:30:48AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2