Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC.com Confirms Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir For UFC 81

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

wolfgarnaud

MMA Regular

wolfgarnaud Avatar

Career:214-136
Chips:
In a classic case of putting your money where your mouth is, new UFC signee Brock Lesnar ??" who has made no bones about wanting to fight the best the heavyweight division has to offer ??" will make his Octagon debut at UFC 81 on February 2nd against none other than former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir.

The bout will be held at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada on the eve of Super Bowl XLII.

“It’s an interesting matchup,” said UFC President Dana White. “Lesnar is a great wrestler, a good athlete, and this is definitely gonna be a big test for him. Frank Mir is a former world champion who is coming off a big win over Antoni Hardonk, and he’s looking to get his career back on track while Lesnar’s looking to walk into the UFC and prove what type of fighter he’s gonna be by trying to knock him off.”

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8534

Last edited 1/8/08 2:30PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   11/5/07 8:41:25PM   

wolfgarnaud

MMA Regular

wolfgarnaud Avatar

Chips:
i dont know you people but that's a crazy fight... and is gonna be a tough one for Lesnar.

Post #2   11/5/07 8:44:06PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
WOW we just posted that at the same time

Post #3   11/5/07 8:47:23PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,065-1,066
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
well, i am going with Mir !!

Lesnar will be KO or submit in the first RD i think !!

Last edited 11/5/07 8:53PM server time by tuvok500
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   11/5/07 8:51:29PM   

icrazysob

Learning to Sprawl

icrazysob Avatar

Career:860-495
Chips:
I don't know what to think of this fight..I figured Brock would have went after a striker or a wrestler in his first fight..

Though even with his inexperience I think Brock takes it by either gnp or lay and pray..

I can't wait though..so many unknowns will be answered about both of them

Post #5   11/5/07 8:52:11PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm sure the UFC isn't ready to give Lesnar a striker, but I think this match is a little ballsy for a first fight in the UFC as well. I don't have any doubt that Lesnear can take him down and GnP him, but the chance of getting caught in a sub will be there.

On the other hand, having Lesnar beat a former champ would give him instant credability...and he will probalby do it in devastating fashion, which will definitely get the media's attention.

Post #6   11/5/07 8:56:18PM   

edge0125

MMA Regular

edge0125 Avatar

Career:1,503-923
Chips:
wow, why would they give brock such a tough first fight. Theres no way he will beat Mir

Post #7   11/5/07 8:56:50PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I think it does the exact opposite of answering unknowns. I think we're still left with questions after this bout. I think it's a terrible match up for the observant MMA fan no matter what the outcome.

1) Should Frank Mir win, does that mean he is back to his old self and he is dominant once again because he was able to defeat a man of great talent in Brock Lesnar? Or does that mean those who are negative about the Brock Lesnar abilities were right, and that he got beat by a washed up Frank Mir?

2) Should Lesnar win does that mean he's got all the talent some suspect he may have because he was able to showcase it against a top competitor in the HW division? Or does Lesnar winning mean Frank Mir is still a wreck (pun intended) and will never be competitive once again?

I don't think (based on the timing) that it means anything about the abilities of either man because currently there are too many questions about both fighters. Therefore, IMO, terrible match up.

Post #8   11/5/07 9:00:45PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
I see them getting right into it. No feeling each other out. Brock gets the takedown right away and Mir is eating punches working off his back and his guard is dangerous. Brock doesn't have the submission training like Mir does. I see it going one of two ways.

Brock destroying Mir

OR

Mir easily submitting Brock.

Post #9   11/5/07 9:05:28PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by icrazysob
so many unknowns will be answered about both of them

I agree. I dont doubt Lesnar's wrestling ability. I am curious to see how his stand-up is. And if it goes to the ground, we will see how good his ground game, and submission defense are. I like Mir. I hope he continues to win, and improve. His last fight looked good. Before that he just looked out of shape and slow, since his accident. I will give this fight to Mir, by submission, in the 1st.

Post #10   11/5/07 9:09:18PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Brock claims to have trained JJ before so if that is true Mir is getting messed up because I think submission is the only root for Mir. I think he overpowers him, out speeds him, out strikes him, out wrestles him...

I got Lesnar by late stoppage or Unanimous Decision by GNP..

Post #11   11/5/07 9:13:38PM   

SpiderSilva

07/07

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,887-1,178
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Well i would have never thought this fight when Lesner came in Mir is really turning thigs around but Brock is a F'n monster who most likly will prove himself at 81 its hard to say with this fight

Brock by GnP

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #12   11/5/07 9:24:26PM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
Wow that is a very tough 1st fight for Lesnar. Even if Mir isn't quite where he used to be he has so much more experience than Lesnar. Lesnar is a beast but I'm not sure that will be enough to beat a guy who has had the fights Mir has had. I don't like the fight very much, but it will be worth watching--So I guess it works.

Post #13   11/5/07 9:25:40PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
mir by sub 1rd, dont think this is good for brock cause i think mir will be able to keep way from a big punch with his kicks and it will end up in the ground some way, no matter what mir's ground is sick and if ur in his ground game over, tim foud that when his arm broke and i think time has size and power over most hw so dont really think brock can do good unless he can get a KO standin cause his ground game is no where nears mir and most new-comin mma figher who gn havnt learned the fully let and r more lay n pray which is a bad idea vs mir, who knows his time is comin to end if he doesnt get his shit together

Post #14   11/5/07 9:32:30PM   

wolfgarnaud

MMA Regular

wolfgarnaud Avatar

Chips:
is a tough one, even with a wrestling background i dont think Lesnar want to go to the ground with Mir, i think he is gonna use his strenght and power to strike and probably go for a K.O. ,,, but i dont see Mir falling on that one anyway, in the end he is gonna able to make Lesnar Tap.

but, is hard to know what lesnar is gonna do with just one fight in MMA, and going to the ground with a guy like Mir i dont think is a good idea..

Frank Mir is gonna break Lesnar Arm!!!!!!!! welcome to the UFC!!!!!!

Post #15   11/5/07 9:33:27PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>