Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Steroids Found In Sherks Supplement

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

wolfgarnaud

MMA Regular

wolfgarnaud Avatar

Career:214-136
Chips:
According to Sherdog.com, One of Sean Sherks Supplements manufactured by Xyience was found to contain amounts of 1-androstendione:
Seven tests totaling $3,000 were conducted on supplements Sherk took before his bout against Hermes Franca. One such product was the Xyience-branded "Xyience Xtreme Joint Formula." Five capsules were analyzed according to a report supplied by Don H. Catlin, M.D., president and CEO of Anti-Doping Research, Inc.

"No anabolic steroids were detected in four of the capsules," Catlin wrote. "In one capsule 1-androstendione was identified."

As for the one capsule of "Xyience Xtreme Joint Formula" in which 1-androstendione was identified, the company said it has halted all shipments of the product until it can conduct independent testing by a certified lab.

"While we are confident that Xyience products do not contain anabolic agents or any illegal substances," said Susan Wierzbicki, Director of Quality Assurance, Xyience, "we are taking this report very seriously."

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=9774

http://www.mmafightline.com/news/2007/113/sean_sherk_307247.shtml

Post #1   11/5/07 2:07:23PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
SNAP! This could be a problem considering the UFC and Xyience are in bed together. Although they will probably prefer Sherk take the fall instead of the company. I'd be surprised if Xyience finds it and admits it.

Last edited 11/5/07 2:13PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/5/07 2:12:49PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by Rush

SNAP! This could be a problem considering the UFC and Xyience are in bed together. Although they will probably prefer Sherk take the fall instead of the company. I'd be surprised if Xyience finds it and admits it.

haha yeah i was thinking the same thing. well i dont think sherk should take the fall... **** that. But.. seeing as the ufc and xyience just extented with each other... i see this being swept under the table

Post #3   11/5/07 2:25:14PM   

MeanGreene

Banned

Career:167-99
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Havnt heard SNAP! in a while.....made my day!

This is pretty intresting....sumbody got sum splanin to do

Post #4   11/5/07 2:47:09PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
So a company that produces steroids is sponsering the UFC? That's bad news.

Post #5   11/5/07 3:08:27PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't think that he should be stripped if it's a supplement thing, although I would strongly advise him to change supplements. I used to take andro before it was banned, 1-AD, it was really powerful stuff. I gained 60 lbs in 5 months!!

Post #6   11/5/07 3:08:43PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I got a question for anybody who has knowledge in this area.. is there a connection between nandrolone and 1-androstendione? Cause sherk didnt test positive for 1-androstendione, he tested positive for nandrolone. Does the body somehow metabolize one into the other or something? And if not.. what does this have to do with sherk's case? Contaminated supplements are nothign new

Post #7   11/5/07 3:10:07PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,283-1,272
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by wolfgarnaud

As for the one capsule of "Xyience Xtreme Joint Formula" in which 1-androstendione was identified, the company said it has halted all shipments of the product until it can conduct independent testing by a certified lab.

"While we are confident that Xyience products do not contain anabolic agents or any illegal substances," said Susan Wierzbicki, Director of Quality Assurance, Xyience, "we are taking this report very seriously."

I don't get what Xyience is saying - either it is an ingredient or it is not. If the supplement is contaminated then they have a big issue - but would/should Sherk be penalized for their sloppy manufacturing?

Does Xyience list ingredients on their bottles or do they not have to because they are not required by the FDA?

Post #8   11/5/07 3:17:08PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by wapttn

I got a question for anybody who has knowledge in this area.. is there a connection between nandrolone and 1-androstendione? Cause sherk didnt test positive for 1-androstendione, he tested positive for nandrolone. Does the body somehow metabolize one into the other or something? And if not.. what does this have to do with sherk's case? Contaminated supplements are nothign new

Here are the two structures. Pretty much the only difference is the keto group (=O) vs the hydroxyl group (-OH). These can be converted by enzymatic oxidation/reduction. Whether there is an enzyme for that I will have to keep looking. There is another difference where one of the hydrogens (nandro) is a carbon (Andro), but I am just going by the stuctures on wiki and haven't confirmed them with a more reliable source.

Oh, the names are not on the figures. The one on the left is the Andro... and centre is Nandro... (the easiest way to remember is that dione means two ketone groups I also put testosterone on the far right now. Notice that there are more similarities between testosterone and andro.

Androstenodione is actually converted to testosterone in the body. Both testosterone and nandrolone bind the same androgen receptors in the body.

I traced the metabolic pathway for testosterone back to acetyl COA and discovered that the chemical differences between Andro and nandro occur so far upstream in the synthetic pathway that is it unlikely that any of the typical enzymes in this synthetic pathway would interconvert andro to nandro.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1
Photo Attachment 2
Photo Attachment 3

Last edited 11/5/07 3:52PM server time by Rush
7 total post edits

Post #9   11/5/07 3:29:35PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
dang gets crapped on because he is being a company man and uses xcience, if the UFC is in bed with Xcience and it is found that it was the big X that made him fail the test then he should get some compensation for lost revenue and lost of name strength.

Post #10   11/5/07 3:31:10PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

To be honest, I have no idea if there is a connection between the two. 1-androstendione is a supplement that is 700% more anabolic than normal testosterone before the body metabolizes it. Where I would guess it becomes related is due to what they found the 1-androstenedione in... joint care product.

Nandrolone is deca-durabolin, which is a good mass building steroid, but can be used medically for osteoporosis. My assumption would be that the 1-androstenedione elevated his testosterone levels while the other products in the joint care product he was taking made it seem related to Nandrolone. Just my two cents... could be completely different than this though.

Post #11   11/5/07 3:41:53PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,021-1,032
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
If Sherk's defence is base on these result, well, i say that it can be very good for him.

1 scientifique proof can overturn almost any case in court !!

Last edited 11/5/07 3:50PM server time by tuvok500

Post #12   11/5/07 3:42:07PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by scoozna
I don't get what Xyience is saying - either it is an ingredient or it is not. If the supplement is contaminated then they have a big issue - but would/should Sherk be penalized for their sloppy manufacturing?

Does Xyience list ingredients on their bottles or do they not have to because they are not required by the FDA?

My assumption would be the company that makes xyience products also makes other pro-hormone products.... products not banned by the FDA but banned in professional competition. It is not uncommon for a company to manufacture products under different brand names.

IMHO I think to penalize Sherk would be the absolute lowest road to go down... I couldn't imagine the kind of lawsuit Sherk would have against the CSAC, or against the UFC if they stripped his belt. He took a supplement that was not on the banned list in good faith that it would be the product he was buying... I definitely think he is not at fault.

I would also assume that Xyience, along with every other company who manufactured anything designed to be ingested, has to put their ingredients on their bottles. I would think that most likely what happened was poor quality control going on at Xyience's manufacturing warehouse... some just got in. Notice that they tested 4 capsules that came out clean but found 1 that had the supplement.

Last edited 11/5/07 3:49PM server time by tnunley

Post #13   11/5/07 3:47:52PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
ok, I am finished updating my post above with the pics.

I have offered about as comprehensive explanation as I could. If more information/detail is needed, I would have to open a new thread.

Keep in mind, I said there is no evidence that I am aware of that an enzyme in the known synthetic pathway of testosterone can convert andro to nandro, but I cannot rule out the possibility of (an)other enzyme(s) capable of carrying out that chemistry.

Post #14   11/5/07 3:56:06PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Rush

ok, I am finished updating my post above with the pics.

I have offered about as comprehensive explanation as I could. If more information/detail is needed, I would have to open a new thread.

Keep in mind, I said there is no evidence that I am aware of that an enzyme in the known synthetic pathway of testosterone can convert andro to nandro, but I cannot rule out the possibility of (an)other enzyme(s) capable of carrying out that chemistry.

So essentially this means nothing other then xyience has sterioids in certain supplements? Thats bad news for both parties...Also if Sherks taking all of these supplements should he not know exactly whats in them since he's a pro athlete that participates in a tested sport? This is like when people in the olympics say "it was a supplement", well the olympic comission says "you should have known exactly what your putting into your body".

Post #15   11/5/07 4:28:10PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3