Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WEC 31

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Wasn't able to watch the show, but I read that Filho nearly lost?!? That would've easily been upset of the year had Sonnen stopped him with the slam early on.

Do you even know what year you're talking about. This is 07, THE upset year.

Sonnen was way underrated coming in. The fight went pretty much how I expected it to go except I thought Sonnen would avoid the sub a little longer.
Look at the nice string of wins Sonnen has pulled off lately. He's no chump.

Post #31   12/13/07 7:38:07AM   

CWall33

MMA Regular

CWall33 Avatar

Career:413-243
Chips:
Great night of fights, and free to boot.

I went 7-2, but completely missed the hot bout, and didn't score over 7 pts for any of my wins, so I'm pretty disappointed in my score.

I think the Sonnen stoppage was a good call by the ref. Some are saying he was screaming NO NO NO before the stoppage. Maybe where he's from, "No" is pronounce "AAAAGGGGHHHH!", which is what I heard.

Sonnen needs to thank that ref for keeping him out of rehab for the next 6 months.

Post #32   12/13/07 8:56:08AM   

sweeptheleg99

Learning to Sprawl

Career:522-331
Camp: Mafia
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Posted by DCRage

Wasn't able to watch the show, but I read that Filho nearly lost?!? That would've easily been upset of the year had Sonnen stopped him with the slam early on.

Do you even know what year you're talking about. This is 07, THE upset year.

Sonnen was way underrated coming in. The fight went pretty much how I expected it to go except I thought Sonnen would avoid the sub a little longer.
Look at the nice string of wins Sonnen has pulled off lately. He's no chump.

Yup. That fight was way more even going in than most fans would know. Sonnen is a gamer man and damn near beat Filho. And if you don't think that was a premature stoppage, then you're nuts.

That being said, I fully understand the ref's concern: a guy as big as Filho getting an arm coupled with Sonnen's yelling prob made the ref think that he was on the verge of a Frank Mir/Tim Sylvia bone-snap situation. But shit, I would have loved to see that go 5 rounds!!!!!

Post #33   12/13/07 9:11:13AM   

Biggee

MMA Regular

Biggee Avatar

Career:307-196
Camp: Clanton Gang Bitch!
Chips:

Posted by CWall33

Great night of fights, and free to boot.

I went 7-2, but completely missed the hot bout, and didn't score over 7 pts for any of my wins, so I'm pretty disappointed in my score.

I think the Sonnen stoppage was a good call by the ref. Some are saying he was screaming NO NO NO before the stoppage. Maybe where he's from, "No" is pronounce "AAAAGGGGHHHH!", which is what I heard.

Sonnen needs to thank that ref for keeping him out of rehab for the next 6 months.

It wouldnt of gone 5 rounds, because even if the ref didnt stop it, he would of been tapping or have a broken arm in 2 seconds. There were 5 seconds left, and there was no way he was staying from tapping, no way. Dont get me wrong, he deserved to win that fight 10x more the paulo, paulo looked horrible, he just straight dominated paulo.

How bout that bantamweight fight, not bad. How about fabers knee, leaving no legs on the ground, that was awesome.

Post #34   12/13/07 10:35:36AM   

sweeptheleg99

Learning to Sprawl

Career:522-331
Camp: Mafia
Chips:
Dude, that was probably the slickest knee thrown in competition ever...seriously. i was like "Did that just happen???"

BUT, it wasn't nearly as sweet as valencias over-head suplex!!!! That dude is crazy strong.

Post #35   12/13/07 10:44:00AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,568-1,469
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
the german suplex along with 4 SOLID rights by valencia were the biggest highlights of the show for me. jens getting the sub so quickly was a huge surprise, i really thought he would struggle against swanson, and filhos hands were slower than zuluzihnos after a night of drinking, he was very fortunate to escape with his belt. the fight was going to be over quickly even if the ref didnt step in, but sonnen laid out a foundation for anyone to follow if they want to beat filho and proved himself a very good fighter once again. the WEC is proving to be a very good organization, im really hoping they can keep this up with such a low rated channel as VS being their medium.

Post #36   12/13/07 10:58:55AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,283-1,272
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by CWall33

Ha...I believe it was Sonnen who let out that yelp when Babalu had him in a nasty heel hook - it's a UFC highlight they show over and over...

I think you're right - even though the ref jumped in a bit early - I don't think he was escaping that (2nd) time.

Post #37   12/13/07 11:31:23PM   

themmachamp

MMA Regular

Career:4-1
Chips:
that was by far the best free event I've seen all year, props to the WEC on a great card and phenomenal fights.

Post #38   12/14/07 11:06:26AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:

Posted by themmachamp

that was by far the best free event I've seen all year, props to the WEC on a great card and phenomenal fights.

Agree completely.

Great card, although I disagree with most above about the validity of the stoppage.
I know Paulo is a golden boy to most the people on here, so I won't go any further into it. I just felt that there was no tap so it should not have been stopped. I have watched it several times over and over again, and it was not THAT tight at the time ref stopped it. It was tight momentarily but then the arm turned slightly, and was evident (at least IMO) why he did not tap.

That being said, great fight! Faber looked great against a guy that is tough to finish, and Pulver looked great as well.
I hope to see a Faber/Pulver fight soon.
I love WEC's 145# division!!

Post #39   12/21/07 2:21:15PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3