Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Why did Wandy do so poorly in the UFC?

Print  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I read the thread on Pride coming to Vegas this month, and it got me thinking...

How many of Wandy's fights have you seen him use stomps and soccer kicks? And how many times have those been effective in his victories? I think Wanderlei is a great fighter and a true warrior... So did the UFC's (NSAC's) rules inhiibit his game plan(s)???

Also, with that being said, Do you think Shogun would be as dominant having to abide by the US rules?

Post #1   2/8/07 1:01:10PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
I think they both would do great in the US. Shogun would do better IMO.

Unless Hendo takes Wandy's belt, Shogun has peaked in PRIDE. I hope he comes to the UFC.

Post #2   2/8/07 1:35:09PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Unless Hendo takes Wandy's belt, Shogun has peaked in PRIDE. I hope he comes to the UFC.

They are two of the top 5 LHW's on the planet, so I think they will have great success in wherever they fight... I was just throwing around the idea that the NSAC's rules would take some important tools out of their arsenal...

It's unfortunate that we won't see Wanderlei and Shogun fight eachother in Pride, but completely understandable... It would be great to see one or the other come over and show the US audience what Chutebox is all about...

Post #3   2/8/07 1:52:40PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

They are two of the top 5 LHW's on the planet, so I think they will have great success in wherever they fight... I was just throwing around the idea that the NSAC's rules would take some important tools out of their arsenal...

It's unfortunate that we won't see Wanderlei and Shogun fight eachother in Pride, but completely understandable... It would be great to see one or the other come over and show the US audience what Chutebox is all about...

Yeah, I kust think Shogun would adapt better.

They did say that if they met in a tournament, they would fight.

Post #4   2/9/07 1:08:40AM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

i could see shogun comming over soon but i don't see wandy ever comming to the ufc. hes king of the mountain over there and hes going to stay king for a while and how would it look if he came over here (if) he lost his belt. hed be motivated that much more to get it back. i think he retires the pride middleweight champion then maybe we'll see him.

Post #5   2/9/07 1:35:29AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I read the thread on Pride coming to Vegas this month, and it got me thinking...

How many of Wandy's fights have you seen him use stomps and soccer kicks? And how many times have those been effective in his victories? I think Wanderlei is a great fighter and a true warrior... So did the UFC's (NSAC's) rules inhiibit his game plan(s)???

Also, with that being said, Do you think Shogun would be as dominant having to abide by the US rules?

I think Wandy has just grown as afighter since then. Sure, lack of stomps and soccer kicks could either one, but I just think Shogun is more well rounded and would be a better matchup with Chuck.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #6   2/9/07 3:32:01AM   

Tha1

Learning to Sprawl

Tha1 Avatar

Career:5-4
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

wanderlei's fight with tito was in brazil, no nsac. tito was too tal for him to effictively use the clinch and knee, his takedown defense was also not great.

Last edited 2/9/07 2:10PM server time by Tha1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   2/9/07 2:08:54PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I think Wandy has just grown as afighter since then. Sure, lack of stomps and soccer kicks could either one, but I just think Shogun is more well rounded and would be a better matchup with Chuck.

Yeah his ground game and TK defence have improved a lot. I think its just the fact that he has learned more over time. Look back at Chuck. He always had fights go to the ground. But then again Chuck used his wrestling more in theold days.

Post #8   2/9/07 3:13:56PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
His UFC record isn't THAT bad. He lost to Vitor when Vitor was at the top of his game, and he lost a decison to Tito via lay and pray. I think Wandy has come a long way since than.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #9   2/9/07 4:51:27PM   

teamquestnorth

Standup Guy

teamquestnorth Avatar

Career:829-580
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
he was just young then and peaked later than vitor and tito. compare their skills now

Post #10   2/9/07 6:30:18PM   

CrazyDriver16

Learning to Sprawl

CrazyDriver16 Avatar

Career:1,922-1,095
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
Lack of juice?

Post #11   2/9/07 7:15:12PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
agree with hippy wand is just better than he was in the ufc. better takedown defense, better striking, more confidence, more power. hes just more developed than he was in the ufc.

Post #12   2/9/07 8:09:51PM   

StraightLeft

Learning to Sprawl

StraightLeft Avatar

Career:259-174
Camp: Metro Machine
Chips:
Have to say it was because he was younger and hadnt come into his own. I think it would be a much different story if he were to fight in the UFC now. I would not want to be in a cage with that man lol

Post #13   2/9/07 8:23:07PM