Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Let's face it, UFC is plain boring

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,940-1,617
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
First, a disclaimer for all the low-brow, mouth-breathing Neanderthals who threatened bodily harm the last time I wrote on this subject: This is only my opinion.

Link

Post #1   11/4/07 9:48:49AM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
First of all, wow. I don't know what else to say to that. Appearantly, we'll never capture the attention of some of these right-wing idiots that think this is human cockfighting.

And for that, I blame Din Thomas. He should never, ever be allowed to fight in a sanctioned MMA event again. As long as idiots like him are doing this illegally, then MMA will never be looked upon as legit. I call for an all-out ban of Din Thomas, a guy I never really liked in the first place. An overrated guy who kept getting chance for some reason, perhaps becuase he's one of the top minorities in this sport. But he isn't that good. I, for one, hope we never see or hear from him again.

Enough on Thomas, and back to McNulty. I have no idea with him bashing MMA, but he doesn't know how to do it. The worst part of it is that he randomly compared MMA to boxing. For the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000th time, MMA is NOT boxing. Yes, boxing is ONE PART of MMA, but they are not one in the same. I'm a boxing fan, but there is no way that they are the same. The fact that McNulty claims "None of these guys would've lasted 30 seconds with a young Mike Tyson, or Roberto Duran, or any of the great fighters of yesteryear" is laughable. Just plain laughable.

Here's another quote that is rediculous: "it's more like some PG-rated version of professional wrestling, another entertainment genre that shamelessly sells brutality and violence to pseudo-tough guys." What?????? This guy is an idiot, and I, for one, can't look past that. I'm done reading this and talking about it, but I do have one more point.

He does have one decent point. Kids are watching this and thinking that they can do it in their backyards without any training. I say that the UFC should have a campaign something similar to the WWE's "Please. Don't Try This At Home," where the top stars tell kids it is not cool to try MMA out youself. It could be something that tells them to get training if they want to fight. I am not right-wing, but I do agree that the company could do something to pull kids away from streetfighting and into training. It could even help the UFC and MMA, as more kids would train, and the better athletes could come to MMA. That's it, I'm done.

Post #2   11/4/07 10:05:26AM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
We need more Octagon Girls with less clothes, that will be a +1 to the UFC.

Post #3   11/4/07 10:14:07AM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:

Posted by Ordep

Exactly the reason that MMA is seen as a joke...

Post #4   11/4/07 10:26:57AM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
I dont understand how people like to compare MMA to Boxing in any way. He keeps saying how its a bore once the fight goes to the ground but probrually the last 10 boxing matches I have seen, it has been: Dancing around the ring, throw to weak punches and then clinch for ten minutes until the referee breaks it up. You would get fined in some MMA event for pulling of sh*it like that! But in the end, hes just apart of another million reporters who will chose to easily bash MMA rather than see the good in it.

Post #5   11/4/07 10:40:59AM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
I have had this opinion expressed by many of my friends while i force them to watch a fight with me to try to get them interested. I find that if people dont understand the mental chess match thats going on in the match they think the two guys are just laying on each other. You really need to understand the science of it to love it.

Post #6   11/4/07 10:52:16AM   

xburbx

MMA Regular

xburbx Avatar

Career:645-394
Camp: rafrojas
Chips:
In regards to your comments about boxing being a more athletic sport, it really doesnt make sense when you look at a fight like Kimbo Slice vs Ray Mercer. Kimbo had trained MMA for a short period of time before fighting Ray Mercer, the 1990 boxing heavy weight champion of the world. Kimbo beat him in 1 min in the first round with a submission. If you disregard the fact that a pure MMA fighter needs atleast 3 elements (BJJ, boxing, wrestling) to be a truly rounded fighter, then you are not giving credit to the fighters athleticism. Boxing is only 1 element of the sport so it clearly takes the more athletic person to be able to master MMA over a person that has only mastered boxing. I also disagree that these athletes would have lost to Mike Tyson. Mike Tyson might be able to punch through a brick wall, but he has no idea how to defend a double leg take down or a full mount pass. MMA is the core of sports. Sports are a showing of 1 opponent being able to overcome another. What better possible way is there to show that than in hand-to-hand combat with highly trained athletes. Hitting a golfball or playing pool are just watered down forms of competition. Even boxing is geared towards the same competitive basis, but boxing is watered down as well. I would suggest that you educate yourself more on the sport before watching it again. Someone that watches this sport prior to knowing anything about it would be taken back because they have no idea what is going on. They would make the same assumptions you made.

Post #7   11/4/07 10:54:06AM   

V10_07

Learning to Sprawl

V10_07 Avatar

Career:33-30
Chips:
All I can really say to those nay sayers is try it.
Go to a do jo and take a few classes see whats really involved.
Just watching isn't always enough for some people.

Post #8   11/4/07 10:56:24AM   

Vendetta

MMA Regular

Vendetta Avatar

Career:719-395
Camp: SSU Combat Club
Chips:
That guy needs to visit a few jiu jitsu classes.

Post #9   11/4/07 10:59:47AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
whenever someone I know starts talking about how they find the groundgame boring/gay talking about how they just lay on each other I just show them sakuraba vs carlos newton at PRIDE 3. Even people with absolutely no understanding of jiujitsu have to acknowledge the skill and athleticism involved in grappling when they see a display like that.

I think a big part of the problem is that grappling is highly technical and most of what is going on is so subtle that people don't notice it unless they have some knowledge of the sport to begin with. I used to think the same way about grappling until I watched enough to understand what was going on, and then actually started practicing it myself. I can't really blame people for thinking that way, it's just what it looks like when you don't know what's going on.

Post #10   11/4/07 11:07:39AM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

First of all, wow. I don't know what else to say to that. Appearantly, we'll never capture the attention of some of these right-wing idiots that think this is human cockfighting.

And for that, I blame Din Thomas. He should never, ever be allowed to fight in a sanctioned MMA event again. As long as idiots like him are doing this illegally, then MMA will never be looked upon as legit. I call for an all-out ban of Din Thomas, a guy I never really liked in the first place. An overrated guy who kept getting chance for some reason, perhaps becuase he's one of the top minorities in this sport. But he isn't that good. I, for one, hope we never see or hear from him again.

Enough on Thomas, and back to McNulty. I have no idea with him bashing MMA, but he doesn't know how to do it. The worst part of it is that he randomly compared MMA to boxing. For the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000th time, MMA is NOT boxing. Yes, boxing is ONE PART of MMA, but they are not one in the same. I'm a boxing fan, but there is no way that they are the same. The fact that McNulty claims "None of these guys would've lasted 30 seconds with a young Mike Tyson, or Roberto Duran, or any of the great fighters of yesteryear" is laughable. Just plain laughable.

Here's another quote that is rediculous: "it's more like some PG-rated version of professional wrestling, another entertainment genre that shamelessly sells brutality and violence to pseudo-tough guys." What?????? This guy is an idiot, and I, for one, can't look past that. I'm done reading this and talking about it, but I do have one more point.

He does have one decent point. Kids are watching this and thinking that they can do it in their backyards without any training. I say that the UFC should have a campaign something similar to the WWE's "Please. Don't Try This At Home," where the top stars tell kids it is not cool to try MMA out youself. It could be something that tells them to get training if they want to fight. I am not right-wing, but I do agree that the company could do something to pull kids away from streetfighting and into training. It could even help the UFC and MMA, as more kids would train, and the better athletes could come to MMA. That's it, I'm done.

u shouldnt assume that rightwinged poeple are the main opposition to mma because the right will be more likely to protect your freedom , not trying to make it political but i believe its a common misperception, look who does most of the regulation and has more gov involvement in poeples life

john mccain callen the ufc human cockfighting this is true but he said that before the ufc had matchmakers who made less one-sided fights and disallowed groin shots and eye-gouges and fish-hooks. i have always wathched the ufc and some of my favorite fights were early ones but i can understand that some would critisize the early ufc. mccain has backed off since the ufc is now more mainstream and widely accepted as a legitamate sport.

Last edited 11/4/07 11:16AM server time by jocksmall
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   11/4/07 11:09:27AM   

HighKick07

Learning to Sprawl

HighKick07 Avatar

Career:778-476
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
why do ppl come to this site to talk crap.if u dont like it why are u here.must have a boring life,with nothing better to do.go back to ur wwf or chearleading u watch on a daily basis.

Post #12   11/4/07 11:38:56AM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by Ordep

Exactly the reason that MMA is seen as a joke...

Proof that people take some things too seriously that make themselves blind to jokes...

Last edited 11/4/07 12:09PM server time by Ordep
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   11/4/07 12:03:26PM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
Who cares what Ray Mcnulty thinks. He doesn't understand MMA, so who gives a rats ass what he thinks. Bottom line this sport continues to get bigger and bigger and boxing continues its downward spiral. Not that I want that I like boxing but MMA is dominating in the US right now. Ray should just stick to writing about sports he knows about like balet and womens figure skating.

Post #14   11/4/07 12:08:58PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,755-1,746
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm going to keep it simple...F this guy!

Post #15   11/4/07 12:27:49PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3