Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Phil Baroni's Suspension Reduced To 6 Months

Print  
Posted By Message

wolfgarnaud

MMA Regular

wolfgarnaud Avatar

Career:214-136
Chips:
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=4984&zoneid=2

The California State Athletic Commission on July 3, 2007, stated that fighter Phil Baroni had tested positive for Boldenone Metabolite and Stanozolol Metabolite following his Strikeforce main event bout with Frank Shamrock on June 22. He was subsequently fined $2,500 and suspended for one year.

Boldenone and Stanozolol are common anabolic steroids that are banned from athletic competition in California.

Baroni went before the commission on Tuesday to appeal and subsequently had his suspension reduced to six months. With the penalty being retroactive to the night of the bout, he will be eligible to fight again after Dec. 22. His fine was upheld.

“I take this as a loss. I never did steroids,” said Baroni following the hearing.

Last edited 11/2/07 3:09PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/31/07 10:14:06PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
Baroni never did steroids like Clinton never slept with Monica.

Post #2   10/31/07 10:22:07PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
'SLEEP" being the key word in that sentance....it's not like I would miss Phil anyways, Sherk on the other hand (regardless of how non-exciting he is) is important due to the title he has. It must be settled, and SOON!!!

Last edited 10/31/07 11:54PM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/31/07 11:52:28PM   

GermanWolf

Learning to Sprawl

GermanWolf Avatar

Career:336-213
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
Let me tell you something: If Baroni's dumb ass can walk into the appeals room and walk out with a reduced sentence for TWO types of steroids, Sherk has gotta be doing backflips.

Given all the effort he's put in, he'll probably wind up getting an apology.

Post #4   11/1/07 3:31:42AM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:
I wonder what his argument was that got him a reduced sentence. Is it just one of those things where if you at least show up at the hearing and speak your side of the story they will cut you some slack? Anyways, I like Phil. I think he is an entertaining fighter but heres the situation. You take someone who looks like he does, is a product of the hammer house, has a bodybuilding background, and tested positive for not just one but two types of steroids and its just hard to believe him when he says he didnt take steroids. Hope to see him back in action soon though!

Post #5   11/1/07 10:31:42AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
According to the post interview, Baroni had 4 out of the 5 tests come back negative. One of the tests came back positive and the reason by the expert was that the test administered was "better". Sounds a bit fishy to me actually. CSAC is using different labs, etc. Just seems bad to me.

Post #6   11/1/07 10:36:57AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
LOL at germanwolf - sorry bro but your fave fighter aint gonna get no apology, see he actually did steroids and its near impossible for him to prove he didnt, baronis case is very different

The CSAC are a bunch of stinky c*** flaps ffs! They basicially acknowledge they were wrong but uphold the fine and only half the suspension!!!! WTF?

Post #7   11/1/07 11:14:08AM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:

Posted by FantasyFighter

I wonder what his argument was that got him a reduced sentence. Is it just one of those things where if you at least show up at the hearing and speak your side of the story they will cut you some slack? Anyways, I like Phil. I think he is an entertaining fighter but heres the situation. You take someone who looks like he does, is a product of the hammer house, has a bodybuilding background, and tested positive for not just one but two types of steroids and its just hard to believe him when he says he didnt take steroids. Hope to see him back in action soon though!

I retract my previous statement. Looks like he actually may have gotten screwed on this one. Sucks for Phil. Hope to see him back in action with EliteXC as soon as possible.

Post #8   11/2/07 10:11:11AM