Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gonzaga Vs. Werdum II

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
Gabriel Gonzaga (8-2-0, 3 KO, 5 Sub) will face off once again against Fabricio Werdum (9-3-1, 2 KO, 6 Sub) at UFC 80. These accomplished grapplers in the MMA community first encountered at Jungle Fight , with Werdum ending the fight in the 3rd via TKO.

Gabriel Gonzaga Vs. Fabricio Werdum 1

Admittedly Gonzaga's ironic head kick knockout over veteran and top contender Mirko "CroCop" Filipovic is nothing short of impressive, are the fans placing too much stock in this single victory... I think so! Lets look over their career records a little closer:

Werdum has notable wins over Alistair Overeem, Tenzig Tedoradze, Ebenezer Braga, Roman Zentsov, Tom Erikson, Gonzaga himself and a recent win over top contender Aleks Emelianenko in the first round. His losses come all by decision, two of which happen to have strong Sambo backgrounds and superior striking, which leads one to believe that it's simply a bad match-up... and an impressive performance against one of the greatest Heavyweights of the era in Nogueira.

Gonzaga has notable wins over... CroCop? Aside from Mirko, the only opponent worth mention would be Lee Hinkle, which is saying something. His losses both come via TKO from Werdum and a legend in Randy Couture...

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a thread to bash on Gonzaga or doubt his abilities, he is definitely a powerful and talented Heavyweight who offers plenty to the mix, I'm simply trying to open some eyes. Some have gone on record already to say that Gonzaga's striking is far superior to Werdum's, however it is aperant in their first encounter that it's not the case, and although it has been four years since then there is no reason to believe it still doesn't hold true, as Werdum has trained with Team CroCop and Chute Boxe to improve his striking even further... and his grappling still seems to be on top after watching his recent match with Nogueira. All the while Gonzaga has sat in the dark beating lesser Heavyweights with God awful striking, but as soon as he throws one kick his striking ability somehow becomes advantageous against everyone?

Werdum has better strking, grappling and conditioning, and even though I'm not counting the young Brazilian out, I don't see how anyone can have him as the favorite. Prediction: Werdum via UD.

Last edited 10/31/07 1:37AM server time by richieb19
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   10/31/07 1:34:15AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
wait, how beat kongo? was it gonzaga? my minds going blank.

excellent points richie but i think i'll have to disagree.
ive become somewhat of a gonzaga fan boy, and i see much more potential in him now than he did 4 years ago. i think gonzagas size is gonna play a huge role in this fight cuz werdum is a rather smal hw

Post #2   10/31/07 2:19:01AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,959-1,110
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

wait, how beat kongo? was it gonzaga? my minds going blank.

excellent points richie but i think i'll have to disagree.
ive become somewhat of a gonzaga fan boy, and i see much more potential in him now than he did 4 years ago. i think gonzagas size is gonna play a huge role in this fight cuz werdum is a rather smal hw

Ritchie your post was written well but Ill gonna go with Loller here. I see Gonzaga winning on the feet, and doing some good GnP on the ground for a UD.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   10/31/07 2:41:10AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
I want to see Fabricio take this. I think he beats Gonzaga in just about every area except pure strength (not always an advantage if you don't know how to use it) and hairyness of back.

As long as Werdum doesn't get disorientated, start to think he is in Pancrase and start winging open hand strikes around he should be good.

Post #4   10/31/07 3:40:22AM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
the only disagreement i have with your statement is that you say that there is no evidence that gonzagas striking has improved. He koed mirko and broke coutures arm with some brutal head kicks, i think that shows atleast a little that his stand up must have improved.

i always new that gonzaga would lose to couture, and i knew that this would create more confusion on where GG actually stands in the HW division.

IF GG wins he is definately a top ten HW, if He loses his win over Mirko was complete luck.

I see GG winning by GnP, but this is a hard fight to pick a winner.

Post #5   10/31/07 4:09:05AM   

jgordon85

MMA Regular

jgordon85 Avatar

Career:1,768-1,176
Camp: Team Twisted
Chips:
as dana white would say "this is a interesting fight" that is the way i feel napo has gotten better since there last bout. werdum did not look to good in his first match but if you can look good and win fighting arlovski that is saying something. i was impressed with napo's performance against randy. i do not know who to pick for this fight.

Post #6   10/31/07 4:57:00AM   

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Career:1,254-787
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
Gonzaga 2nd TKO GnP

Post #7   10/31/07 6:37:27AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,009-1,021
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
the Gonzaga of 2007 -2008 is much better than he was before and i don't see how Werdum can beat him this time !!
i see a 1 way fight for Gonzaga with a win by TKO at the second round !!

Werdum was afraid of AA and the only reason he was able to do the full 3 rounds is because the octogon door was lock and that AA was a sleepwalker !!

Last edited 10/31/07 10:38AM server time by tuvok500
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   10/31/07 10:38:08AM   

djchoice2000

Learning to Sprawl

djchoice2000 Avatar

Career:246-158
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
wow I didn't know that first fight was that close. I think Gozaga by 1st rd KO he is more polished now then he was then and Werdum has lost his aggressiveness.

Post #9   10/31/07 10:48:46AM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Its fine and well you use their MMA career resumes to do comparing, but lets not forget the names Gonzaga put down in grappling tournaments.

Gonzaga knows what it is like to face and defeat competition. His main problem is stand-up, but not striking cause he has brute strength, but rather finding his range and being able to be defensive.

If Gonzaga has improved his range and defense on his feet I seem him taking this fight. He is stronger and better on the ground, and he has power that should not be taken lightly.

Post #10   10/31/07 11:31:33AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by djchoice2000

wow I didn't know that first fight was that close. I think Gozaga by 1st rd KO he is more polished now then he was then and Werdum has lost his aggressiveness.

It wasn't that close. After the first round Gonzaga started to fall apart.

Post #11   10/31/07 11:38:33AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Its fine and well you use their MMA career resumes to do comparing, but lets not forget the names Gonzaga put down in grappling tournaments.

Gonzaga knows what it is like to face and defeat competition. His main problem is stand-up, but not striking cause he has brute strength, but rather finding his range and being able to be defensive.

Werdum is easily the more accomplished grappler of the two, having a look at them both in ADCC he beat Daniel Gracie, TK, Van Arsdale, Lindland, Pe De Pano, Shoji, Sinosic, Rolles Gracie and others. Not to say Gonzaga didn't do well aswell, being 4-2 and beating big names like Ricco and Pe De Pano. Don't get me wrong, performance in one organization doesn't mean one is a better grappler than the other, Werdum has always been known as a huge threat with his ground-game, as evident in all of his fights, especially against Nogueira where he was basically on the same playing field as Nog goes regarding position and submissions. Gonzaga IS a great grappler, but he doesn't compare to Werum. The only way I see him winning this fight is by taking Fabricio down and being conservative all the way to a decision...

Post #12   10/31/07 11:50:11AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
in the first fight, gonzaga was 10 kilograms lighter than what he is now, and from what i heard he accepted the fight on short notice.

you're right about wrdum training with crocop and now he moved on to chute box, so i hope chute box teaches him to be a little more aggressive.

what im hoping for is that this fight basically turns into a ground war for 3 rounds, but im guessing gonzaga would like to keep it standing

Post #13   10/31/07 12:53:17PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

in the first fight, gonzaga was 10 kilograms lighter than what he is now, and from what i heard he accepted the fight on short notice.

you're right about wrdum training with crocop and now he moved on to chute box, so i hope chute box teaches him to be a little more aggressive.

what im hoping for is that this fight basically turns into a ground war for 3 rounds, but im guessing gonzaga would like to keep it standing

I agree with you, this would be such an exciting ground fight. These guys know how to do it all on the mat.

But I think you're right when you say Gonzaga may want to keep this fight standing. Gonzaga may think he has a little bit of an edge over Werdum on the feet, while both of them are so good on the ground.

Not like Werdum is helpless on the feet ... but Gonzaga is a big dude, with a lot of power behind those punches and kicks.

Post #14   10/31/07 1:36:38PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
GG all day long, its an ok fight but i think they could have made better ones, id prefer to see Werdum fight Kongo and GG rematch CC so he can beat him again in a more predictable fashion

Post #15   10/31/07 2:00:12PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2