Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Things aren’t looking too hot for Randy

Print  
What Should Randy Do
Fight For UFC 44 77%
Fight UFC in court 7 12%
Retire 6 11%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
For those of you who didn’t read the novel of a live blog we did earlier today, let me summarize the UFC press conference for you: It was 10 minutes of facts and then 45 minutes of rhetoric. Mixed in were 5 minutes of stupidity from random douche ‘journalists’. Nowhere to be seen at this conference was Kevin Iole, who no doubt was off somewhere kicking the ass of the source who led him so astray.

Their plan is to offer Randy another fight this week. That fight will be for sometime early 2008 and most likely be against Big Nog. If Randy doesn’t accept that fight then they’ll consider him retired and have other guys fight for the vacant title. If Randy simply does not intend to fulfill his contract, it looks like the UFC is locked and loaded for sexy court action. Wait a second … court action isn’t sexy at all. Shit.

click here for full article

click here for live blog of the ufc press conference

Last edited 10/30/07 8:20PM server time by sam_rothstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/30/07 8:19:11PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,944-989
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
yeah, that what i heard to, so , the way i see it is that the ball in on randy's side and he will have to refuse a fight with nogueira and retire or accept it and finish his actual contract.

if he want to go in court with that, well, his chance are not good i think.

i am thinking that the only way you can resigh for a contract is if 1 part ( the ufc ) were not respecting there part witch is to give randy 4 fights in 2 years i think !!

Post #2   10/30/07 8:27:24PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
he should just finish out his contract. done

Post #3   10/30/07 8:31:04PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I'm thinking if he wanted to make a statement he should go into the fight and let the guy sub him in the first minute or intentionally forfeit. However, that could be detrimental to his reputation.

I think he is just going to stay away.

Post #4   10/30/07 8:50:06PM   

bezun

Banned

Career:146-107
Chips:
I like the guy but Boo hoo if the ufc dropped the ball on fedor. They dont want him to fight sambo because they want to protect thier asset. This is the same reason they wont let randy fight for m-1, he is worth too much to get hurt and if he losses, the ufc could lose face. Randy should finish his contract and move on but unfortunatly, he might only have two more good fights left in him. WAR RANDY"S CONTRACT!!!

Post #5   10/30/07 8:50:38PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
People keep ripping this Iole guy and I just don't understand it.

Sure the 13-15 million seems pretty off base, but the fact is Randy obviously was making more money then he led us to believe and this whole thing was about money and not respect. If it wasnt about money why would Randy try to give a breakdown of the structure of his contract...cause it is about money perhaps?

Iole tends to do a great job like on his piece with Jens Pulver, though the lead was horrible, the story was good. Also he wasn't at the press conference because contrary to what Randy and his fans seem to be thinking lately...MMA and combat sports will go on.

I'm pretty sure Iole is going to the Kessler/Calzaghe fight and that would explain his absence.

I am still a fan of Randy, I just hope he admits this is a money issue and handles this like a professional and not try to make it seem like he is fighting for a higher cause when it really is for money

Post #6   10/30/07 8:56:25PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Sure the 13-15 million seems pretty off base, but the fact is Randy obviously was making more money then he led us to believe and this whole thing was about money and not respect. If it wasnt about money why would Randy try to give a breakdown of the structure of his contract...cause it is about money perhaps?

Iole tends to do a great job like on his piece with Jens Pulver, though the lead was horrible, the story was good. Also he wasn't at the press conference because contrary to what Randy and his fans seem to be thinking lately...MMA and combat sports will go on.

I'm pretty sure Iole is going to the Kessler/Calzaghe fight and that would explain his absence.

I am still a fan of Randy, I just hope he admits this is a money issue and handles this like a professional and not try to make it seem like he is fighting for a higher cause when it really is for money

I agree. If someone says something once, I'll believe them. If they say it twice, I'll start to question them. If they say it three times, there's not a doubt in my mind their lying. After Randy repeated himself for the umpteenth time, "Its not about the money." there was no doubt in my mind that it was about the money.

Last edited 10/30/07 9:06PM server time by xxMALICExx

Post #7   10/30/07 9:06:11PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
I agree in a perfect world he should just finish out his contract. However the problem is motivation. Randy Couture has done it all, there is only one fight left for him, and that is against Fedor. Any other fight just reinforces what we already know about him. If he beats Fedor he would be considered the greateset fighter of all time. That is really the only fight that makes sense for him. Against anyone elce it's just a risk of not going out on top. If he loses to Fedor nobody would think less of him, just that he finally met his match. People would be disapointed, but his legacy wouldn't be tarnished. If he wins, he is turely legendary, and would be the Babe Ruth of the sport. He is still a Legend no matter what happens from here, but this would put him on the next level.

Post #8   10/30/07 9:09:24PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by ocho-cinco

I agree in a perfect world he should just finish out his contract. However the problem is motivation. Randy Couture has done it all, there is only one fight left for him, and that is against Fedor. Any other fight just reinforces what we already know about him. If he beats Fedor he would be considered the greateset fighter of all time. That is really the only fight that makes sense for him. Against anyone elce it's just a risk of not going out on top. If he loses to Fedor nobody would think less of him, just that he finally met his match. People would be disapointed, but his legacy wouldn't be tarnished. If he wins, he is turely legendary, and would be the Babe Ruth of the sport. He is still a Legend no matter what happens from here, but this would put him on the next level.

That IMO is bs. He hasn't steped it there with Big Nog, AA, Cro Cop, Hunt, Aleks, Kongo, Vera, Werdum, and he can't say that he beat Barnett(wen't through the top 10 on this site so don't call me a pride nut hugger), so IMO he has alot he can still do. I'm a little shocked that he thinks beating Tim and GG makes him so much more important then he was in 2006. Beating 2 of the 12 top 10 HW's still leaves him with 10 that he could fight.

Post #9   10/30/07 9:17:03PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I feel like an idiot, i've had to rewrite this post about 3 times now because i'm trying not to bash randy and sound like an idiot myself so you might have to take this with a grain of salt.

For randy to say that his last challenge is fedor, and that if he cant fight him has nothing left to prove in the ufc is a tactic to maintain his image. If randy uses his last 2 fights on his contract to fight fedor, the worst thing that can happen is that he loses to fedor twice. If thats the case, but he puts up a good fight, his ranking and respect in the peoples eyes will still go nowhere but up. If he wins one or both of the fights, he'll be an mma god. On the other hand, if he fights Nog and loses, then his ranking and respect have nowhere to go but down, no matter what kind of fight he puts up. Whats worse is if he fights Nog a second time and loses, then people will starting thinking that it was over ambitious of him to request fedor. Whats even worse than that is if he has to face sylvia or gonzaga again on his last fight.. if he loses that fight, then people will seriously question his last two wins (what if sylvia was healthy or better prepared? what if gonzaga hasnt broken his nose?)

In my eyes, hardwork is rewarded with respect. If he wants my respect he should take the fights put infront of him and fight them like they were his last like a fighter should. Win or lose, he would have my respect as a fighter. The problem with that is that if he loses, then theres a chance that he's gonna miss out on the hollywood gravy train. In that world, you get paid on how popular you are, and if he loses these fights, then his popularity will never be as high as when it was now. Its too bad because this popularity is with the people who dont understand or truly appreciate the sport.. the longer this drags out, the less respect he'll have from fans like me

Post #10   10/30/07 9:18:05PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,649-1,474
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

If it wasnt about money why would Randy try to give a breakdown of the structure of his contract...cause it is about money perhaps?

People keep ripping Iole for a good reason. This whole situation began as a difference in opinions between Randy and UFC Management. Both parties had a different interpetation of particular events...but it was basically a matter of opinion. It could of been left at some general statements...but that is where Iole enters the picture. He comes out of the woodwork with outlandish claims about Randy's salary....when you basically call someone a crybaby and give false information about them, you are begging for a response. Randy didn't have much of choice, except to defend himself...and to defend himself, he had to provide proof. And now here we are scrutinizing the numbers...from both sides now. Iole has the nerve to bypass an apoligy and write another inflamatory article about it's all about the money because that is all that Randy is talking about....well, there's a reason that's all he's talking about and it's because Iole's dumb ass got everyone in the media all stirred up about some outrageous salary claims.

At the end of the day, there seems to be some misunderstandings between parties. I'm fairly certain it's not the complete fault of either party, but perhaps the nature of the beast. It is very easy to look over a great employee, when they don't bitch about the small things. After all, the squeaky wheel gets the grease...and if you expect to be be rewarded for your accomplishments, without the need to ask for a pat on the back, sometimes you end up disappointed. Is that Randy's fault? No. Is that Zuffa's fault? That's debatable. What we do know is that Randy was their number one fighter since Liddell's losses. If the Pride guys were getting offered more than what Randy was making, then he probably should feel the way he does. I noticed that Dana avoided the question about how much Fedor was offered. He responded that he would of never let Fedor get paid more than Randy...a very smart answer, but doesn't really address the question.

Even if Randy doesn't choose to fight in the UFC again, I just hope this gets patched up...because I don't want to have the same awkard feeling when Randy is in the corner of a fighter as I do when I see guys like Lindland cageside.

Post #11   10/30/07 9:25:41PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

because iole has spent his whole career writing about boxing matches and everytime I read an article of his where he talks about mma it just sounds like the guy has almost no idea what he is talking about

iole is one of those guys who you want to read his articles just to find out what kind of horrible information he puts out there

Im not saying he isnt a smart journalist, I think he just needs to spend a little more time figuring out what hes writing about

Last edited 10/30/07 9:31PM server time by sam_rothstein

Post #12   10/30/07 9:30:48PM   

miller001001

Learning to Sprawl

Career:141-100
Chips:
wouldnt it be funny if randy just agreed to fight the 2 fights and just walked in octagon and tapped at the start of the fight, that would really make a fool of dana and he will soon be out of his 2 fight contract and done with the ufc, not to mntion his contract ( that dana keeps mentioning) would still require the ufc to pay him

Post #13   10/30/07 9:30:57PM   

wolfgarnaud

MMA Regular

wolfgarnaud Avatar

Career:214-136
Chips:
well the part i dont understand is, if this whole situation is all about the money why is Randy leaving the UFC who is the company that is giving that money to him,(and forget the numbers) 'cause the way i see... Randy is not asking for more money, is he?
so whats really going on?
if he was all about the money, the easiest thing is try to sign another contract with the UFC, and that is not happening... so i dont understand that part about Randy = money

also all the money thing came when Iole show those 13-15 million that apparenttly randy was making,,, then randy couture gave the press conference showing his numbers, and now the UFC showed other numbers,, and in the end there is 3 diferent choices, so we can pick any of those...

i hope someone post the papers they were showing in the UFC press conference,, as they did in the Couture's press conference (the contract with the tim sylvia fight)

the point is... i dont know what going on with all this...
and i dont think we are gonna know the truth about it..

Post #14   10/30/07 9:32:01PM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
Who cares about fighting when you have such a MILF as your wife..... Randy is happy without fighting.

Post #15   10/30/07 9:33:19PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3