Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 80: Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Fabricio Werdum

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,940-1,617
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Gabriel Gonzaga will return to the octagon in January to take on Fabricio Werdum at UFC 80 in Newcastle, England reports Gracie Mag.

Prior to his loss to Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture at UFC 74 in August, Gonzaga had been defeated just once, losing to Werdum in 2003 at Jungle Fight 1.

Link

Post #1   10/30/07 7:16:36AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Oh man. I cant wait for this fight!

Post #2   10/30/07 7:30:36AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
its a rematch a want to see, i hope werdum wins, so h can be up there with the top guys

Post #3   10/30/07 8:42:19AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:

Their 1st fight was good but gastank problems in it, they are both so much better now and i think it will turn much like other mma fight featuring top BJJ guys do - into a boxing fight - so Monson Cruz 2 basically and GG wins, the fact Wersdum was so unwilling to take AA down gives extra assurance tot his happening imho, not much contest tbh fairly easy win for GG which im happy about cos id like to see him get another title shot

Post #4   10/30/07 9:12:24AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Gonzaga is the windshield, Werdum is the bug.

Post #5   10/30/07 9:59:43AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Gonzaga is the windshield, Werdum is the bug.

You can't actually believe this... What has Gonzaga done other than beat CroCop in flukish style? Werdum has been able to stop Tedoradze, Aleks, Overeem, Zentsov, Braga, Erikson, Midoux and Gonzaga once before. The only times he's ever lost where against two Sambo players who could out strike him and avoid him on the ground and to none other than Big Nog in a pretty competitive match.

Werdum wins in it the third.

Post #6   10/30/07 11:00:40AM   

Rich78

MMA Regular

Rich78 Avatar

Career:148-108
Chips:

Still not sure on GG's credentials as a top tier fighter, and think although he had a very average UFC debut, Werdum will pull out the win here. I hope this doesn't turn out to be the headline fight though!!!

Post #7   10/30/07 11:46:53AM   

Snake

Learning to Sprawl

Career:238-142
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Flukish style?

I don't know what fight you were watching.

Post #8   10/30/07 12:16:37PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
Werdum will take this one easy

Post #9   10/30/07 12:26:07PM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
If Werdum fights like he did against Pit Bull, Gonzaga should win pretty easy....

Post #10   10/30/07 2:00:44PM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Werdum will take this one easy

How so? Or are you being sarcastic?

Post #11   10/30/07 2:01:41PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:
Here's a little pbp I made for their first bout, because I'm pretty sure no one here has ever seen it... and with all the undeserved love for Gonzaga and the unappreciation for Werdum, well it seems fitting... Please mind the spelling errors, also I'm uploading the video as we speak.

Rd. 1

Werdum comes out with a flying kick to the head, and continues to dummy Gonzaga in the standup for a little while. Gonzaga goes for a weak takedown and Werdum practically just pulls guard instead of fighting it, they scramble with Werdum looking better on the bottom. Another cheap takedown/guard pull, Gonzaga gets mount but Werdum gets out. Paulo Filho stands them up. Werdum lands a 1,2 combo that drops Gonzaga flat but he recovers. They go to the mat once more, Werdum almost fully locks in a kneebar in the mists of a scramble and the bell rings.

Rd. 2

Werdum still looking better in the stand up misses a big knee. Gonzaga goes for a shoot and Werdum moves to the side, taking his back momentarily. They scramble and stand up. Gonzaga goes for a shoot again but eats a knee again, which leaves Werdum on his back and Gonzaga standing up. Gonzaga passes Werdums guard and Werdum gives his back, and attemting a Kimura on Gonzaga. They stand up again with Gonzaga holding on to his legs and he gently puts him down again, Gonzaga is in side control. Werdum instantly scrambles out with ease. Gonzaga throws 1 or 2 weak punches but then rests in Werdum's halfguard. Filho pauses the action to move them away from the ropes and into the middle. Gonzaga throws one punch and Werdum retains full guard. Gonzaga tries to flurry a few punches and it looks like Werdum lost a tooth (but it's not, because his mouthguard is still in and theres no teeth missing from the bottom... unkown object). Gonzaga stalls some more and theyre stood up. Werdum lands a big counter right, Gonzaga clinches to avoid more damage but instead recieves three big knees to the chest/belly. Gonzaga tries to guage his jab and gets countered with another right. They clinch up again but Werdum continues to deliver big shots. Gabriel lands one knee in the clinch but then Werdum comes out with another combo that once again dazes Gonzaga and puts him on a knee. He clinches again. Werdum gets a high croth and takes Gonzaga down with ease. Gonzaga is halfway out of the ropes with Werdum on his knees beside him delivering punches and knees to the head. A few more big punches connect and the bell rings with Gonzaga laying down on his back getting up slowly. Frank Trigg says Gonzaga would have been out within a few more seconds if not for the bell saving him.

Rd. 3

The round starts and Werdum completely dominates Gonzaga in the standup, Gonzaga just stands there trying to cover up. Gonzaga tries a comeback with some knees from a thai clinch, but hes too damn slow. Theyre both pretty exhausted now and continue to trade and clinch with no one really doing any damage. Werdum goes for a standing guillotine choke, then instead brings up a big knee followed by a big right straight. They clinch up again and rest, but the Werdum lands a huge right hook from the clinch and follows it up with some more (lazier) hooks and then another knee to the head once they clinch again. Gonzaga is bloodied up pretty bad now, Werdum lands 5 straight knees from the thai clinch followed once again by a punch combo that drops Gonzaga again. Werdum takes side control with complete ease and continues the onslaught. Werdum attempts a key lock, which gets but then decides to switch to full mount and go back to pounding him out. Gonzaga tries to cover his face but Werdum is just too much and Filho has seen enough. Gonzaga needs help getting up, and then he leans on his cornerman cause he can no longer stand on his own.

Last edited 10/30/07 2:39PM server time by richieb19
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   10/30/07 2:39:26PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

You can't actually believe this... What has Gonzaga done other than beat CroCop in flukish style? Werdum has been able to stop Tedoradze, Aleks, Overeem, Zentsov, Braga, Erikson, Midoux and Gonzaga once before. The only times he's ever lost where against two Sambo players who could out strike him and avoid him on the ground and to none other than Big Nog in a pretty competitive match.

Posted by richieb19

Here's a little pbp I made for their first bout, because I'm pretty sure no one here has ever seen it...

That fight is 4 years gone. I'm not sure what can be drawn from it.

Werdum's wins over Tedoradze, Zentsov, Midoux, Braga, and Erikson are meaningless because not one of them is UFC-caliber. They're aren't even as good as the lesser fighters on Gonzaga's recent resume - Scherner, Marrero, and Jordan.

Alistair Overeem is a Light Heavyweight whose performance has fallen off a cliff. Since defeating Kharitonov in February of '06, Overeem has pretty much stunk. At the time, we didn't know that Werdum's win was the beginning of a fall for Overeem, but in hindsight it's pretty apparent.

Werdum's loss to Nogueira was a decent fight, although I don't see Gonzaga fighting the same way Nog did.

I haven't seen Werdum's win over Aleks Emelianenko. Sherdog doesn't list the time, only that it was in the 1st round. In credit to Werdum, this result suggests that he can take on big smashers. Which makes his performance against Arlovski all the more mystifying. I also think Aleks might be vulnerable to big submission fighters.

Scherner and Marrero are obviously not top-tier UFC fighters, but they're better than most of the guys Werdum has defeated, and Gonzaga blew through both of them.

Gonzaga's fight against Jordan was terrible. He'd almost literally just stepped off the plane from Brazil after losing a child and almost losing his wife, and he performed miserably. He still won that fight, mind you.

Gonzaga's win over Cro Cop was unexpected, and the head kick that ended it unlikely, but his victory wasn't a fluke at all. He executed a well-conceived game plan perfectly, and comprehensively dismantled his opponent in all facets of the game. Did Cro Cop screw up? Unquestionably. He admitted that he didn't prepare properly. That doesn't mean that Gonzaga didn't kick his ass.

In his match against Couture, I thought Gonzaga was merely okay. I thought he was up a creek without a paddle anyway - I agree that people have been too quick to enshrine him - and the early broken nose clearly took the wind out of his sails. Still, it took Couture about two rounds after the broken nose to finish him off.

Meanwhile, Werdum's last match was a nightmare. I was as disappointed with him as anyone else. I expected him to be a legit contender in the Heavyweight division, and he still might be. I'd like to be wrong, but I think he folds like a lawn chair.

Last edited 10/30/07 3:27PM server time by AchillesHeel
4 total post edits

Post #13   10/30/07 3:21:09PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by richieb19

Posted by richieb19

Here's a little pbp I made for their first bout, because I'm pretty sure no one here has ever seen it...

That fight is 4 years gone. I'm not sure what can be drawn from it.

Werdum's wins over Tedoradze, Zentsov, Midoux, Braga, and Erikson are meaningless because not one of them is UFC-caliber. They're aren't even as good as the lesser fighters on Gonzaga's recent resume - Scherner, Marrero, and Jordan.

Wow, waaaaaay off. Tedoradze is the current HW champion for Cage Rage. Braga HAS faught in the UFC and won with a submission over Jeremy Horn. Erikson is one of the best wrestlers turned fighters to date. Overeem is still a high ranked LHW with immense striking ability and a formidable ground offence, plus he's the biggest LHW I can think of which poses problems to alot of fighters... and granted Zentsov and Midoux have always been up and down (especially Midoux) they are both fantastic fighters (especially Zentsov). Although Scherner (0-2 UFC), Marrerro (1-2 UFC) and Jordan (0-2 UFC) are in the UFC, it doesn't make them even remotely match up to the competition Werdum has not only faced, but defeated. I will admit that Gonzaga's impressive KO over CroCop is bigger than any of Werdum's wins, one big win just doesn't cut it. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Gonzaga I just realize that he's given far too much credit for one victory.

Last edited 10/30/07 4:21PM server time by richieb19

Post #14   10/30/07 4:17:21PM   

Lethal

MMA Regular

Lethal Avatar

Career:165-104
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:
i have respect for both guys. i don't even know who to cheer for for this fight. if gabe wins, people may leave him alone about being a lucky fighter. if werdum wins, maybe we'll see another arlovski fight within a year.

Last edited 10/30/07 4:27PM server time by lethal

Post #15   10/30/07 4:26:38PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2