Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Less TUF, more UFN please!

Print  
Posted By Message

wolfgarnaud

MMA Regular

wolfgarnaud Avatar

Career:214-136
Chips:
http://fightlinker.com/?p=821

The UFC has two big problems right now, in my opinion. Okay, they’re not really big problems for the UFC, but they’re my two pet peeves:

There’s too many times in a year where there’s no new shows for over a month.
There’s too many new UFC guys that need developing, and not enough shows to develop them in.

Post #1   10/29/07 1:00:43PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,450-1,133
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I like this article and completely agree that we need some smaller "free" shows to get some fighters moving up the ranks.

But this will never happen. The UFC makes too much money making a UFN into a PPV.

I think that PPV's should be saved for title fights and contender fights. There should be at least one title fight per PPV. There are five weight classes and each champion can be expected to fight twice a year, that is ten PPV's. I think that is lots. Even with injuries we could expect 8 PPV's a year. Throw in 10 UFN's and the UFC will be on tv an average of 1.5 times per month.

Post #2   10/29/07 1:53:50PM   

chokesetterjake

MMA Regular

chokesetterjake Avatar

Career:1,714-1,082
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC events should be like paychecks, every two weeks. if that were the case it would be nice for PPV to be brought down to $20 from $40

Post #3   10/29/07 2:00:46PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

I like this article and completely agree that we need some smaller "free" shows to get some fighters moving up the ranks.

But this will never happen. The UFC makes too much money making a UFN into a PPV.

I think that PPV's should be saved for title fights and contender fights. There should be at least one title fight per PPV. There are five weight classes and each champion can be expected to fight twice a year, that is ten PPV's. I think that is lots. Even with injuries we could expect 8 PPV's a year. Throw in 10 UFN's and the UFC will be on tv an average of 1.5 times per month.

If I remember correctly, part of the new deal was a weekly live show on Spike...beginning in 2010 I believe.

Post #4   10/29/07 4:35:03PM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:
While the idea of more fight cards is always appealing there is a downside to that. There is only so much marquee talent available and if you increase the number of shows, you are forced to spread out the high end talent over a greater number of shows and cannot have these "Stacked" cards and also you will occasionally create what some people will call crappy cards which are not featuring a title fight. But then, of course, the goal of having more shows is to create more talent. It seems kinda like a never ending cycle to me.

I think the current rate the UFC is putting on shows is a good one. You have one PPV a month, a UFN or TUF finale every other month, and TUF (which features previously unaired fights) + Unleashed to get you by between live events.

Wouldnt mind if PPV's were a little cheaper, but its still hard to complain about the current situation IMO.

And in case you forget, there are other organizations putting on good shows as well.

Last edited 10/29/07 4:43PM server time by FantasyFighter
Edit note/reason: Other org's

Post #5   10/29/07 4:42:15PM