Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

karate

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
hey isnt he the dude that played the karate kid

Post #16   2/8/07 1:59:29PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by Tha1

i dont agree. a lot of these guys are very athletic at heart, karate being a part of their training is just coincidence.

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by jmoooooo

a lot of fighters in mma now have a karate background. GSP has a background in Kyokushin karate. The "Mcdojos" as it was put have provided a ton of kids with that kind of background. Even if none of the moves translate directly to mma, it still gives kids a good foundation in part of the training aspect, and part of the technical aspect. Strength/balance/flexibility/how to properly punch and kick are all things that are taught, and still carryover. so while GSP might not be considered a karate fighter, when he did start training in other areas he had a lot of the basics down already, which im sure helped him progress at a much faster rate.

I believe Machida is/was also a karate practitioner... In his case, you could argue that added depth to his striking game...

It has to be a little more than just coincidence... Personally, I 've never taken Karate (Did take Tae Kwon Do for years though), but it teaches the fundamentals of some striking (usually at a very young age) and IMO, that shouldn't be taken for granted when considering a fighters developement.

Post #17   2/8/07 2:06:03PM   

Tha1

Learning to Sprawl

Tha1 Avatar

Career:5-4
Chips:
it teaches poor fundamentals of striking. no discussion of distance, angels, closing the gap, ranging, etc. were every brought up. i am pretty sure this is true across the board for all "traditional" martial arts. go to a boxing gym, or a muay thai gym, and what do they teach you on the first day? stance, distance, ranging, they cover angles, etc. these concepts are TRUE fundamentals. a strike is just the end product. "traditional" martial arts plays little factor into a great striker, maybe some balance and flexability at the most.

Post #18   2/9/07 2:17:46PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
No, there are plenty of Karate dojo and other TMA's that offer aliveness training. In that they have more realistic training and full sparring. Yes there are plenty that don't, but there is a big enought base of people out there that would want either. Some want to take Karate but not fight. Plus, TMA's are better suited for children, IMO. The cirriculum and atmosphere is easier for a child to adapt to than a combat gym. Sure, some of you are going to think, "well my kid can handle a MT gym", but the one offs don't fill gyms. A TMA school is a pretty good place to gain a base of knowledge to determine which direction you want to take your training.

Post #19   2/9/07 10:14:07PM   

Tha1

Learning to Sprawl

Tha1 Avatar

Career:5-4
Chips:

Posted by mrsumo

No, there are plenty of Karate dojo and other TMA's that offer aliveness training. In that they have more realistic training and full sparring. Yes there are plenty that don't, but there is a big enought base of people out there that would want either. Some want to take Karate but not fight. Plus, TMA's are better suited for children, IMO. The cirriculum and atmosphere is easier for a child to adapt to than a combat gym. Sure, some of you are going to think, "well my kid can handle a MT gym", but the one offs don't fill gyms. A TMA school is a pretty good place to gain a base of knowledge to determine which direction you want to take your training.

go to a grappling tournament, theres little kids everywhere. children in thailand start training MT at a very young age, same with the brazilians and their kids doing BJJ. in the midwest kids start wrestling very young age. kids are in boxing gyms all the time. you can train in a gym with no intention of fighting, people do it all the time. the point is, their training is much more effective than a TMA.

Last edited 2/9/07 11:53PM server time by Tha1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   2/9/07 11:52:37PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2