Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Randy Coutures Side Of The Story

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
LAS VEGAS – Randy Couture went before the media to tell his side of the story Thursday at Xtreme Couture Mixed Martial Arts, two weeks to the day after his resignation from the UFC sent shockwaves across the combat sports world.

Couture, the only man in UFC history to win championships in two separate weight classes, addressed the status of his current contract with Zuffa LLC, parent company of the Las Vegas-based promotion. The 44-year-old signed a four-fight contract – which covered a term of 18 months – prior to his victory over UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia at UFC 68 in March.

“I wasn’t happy with that contract then,” Couture said. “I asked for a signing bonus. I knew a lot of other athletes were getting signing bonuses. I was told, ‘No, we can’t give you a signing bonus.’ But it really didn’t matter. What I ultimately wanted to do was fight, so I accepted the contract.”

LINK

Post #1   10/26/07 6:00:34AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

With official tallies for that bout still pending, Couture's estimations applied to the pay-per-view tiers provided place him in the $1.6 to $1.8 million dollar range per fight - still a far cry from the $3.25-$3.75 million that had been reported.

Oh man, it's not 3 million dollars for a 30 minute job, it's 1.5 million!! Zuffa is robbing him blind!

“All of those things are small mitigating factors into this overall feeling that I’m just another fighter and I get no respect from the organization”

I think it is preposterous for Randy to be treated as just another fighter. He's a movie star!

Post #2   10/26/07 7:50:39AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
I will have to say... prior to Randy's press conference I was begining to question the manner in which he was doing things. I had lost a little respect for him with the whole money issue, but he gained it all back when he spoke at that conference.

I didn't read the link you posted, but I did get to record the press conference and watch it when I got home. Some of the things Randy said completely redeemed his image in my eyes. He talked about how it was "Never about the zeros"... It was more about the trading money behind closed doors to fighters who he felt didn't deserve it any more than he did... and the fact that they stopped doing that for him. He showed papers that gave what he was making... was nowhere near $3.25-$3.75 million. It was the $250,000.00 purse, and $1 per PPV per buy that's over 100,000 buys, and $3 per PPV buy that's over 330,000 buys.

Granted if the PPV sales were 500,000, he would have made somewhere around $720,000 from PPVs and $250,000 purse totalling $970,000. That is definitely nothing to bitch about, but is nowhere close to $3 million +. The fact that makes me believe him is he showed the papers regarding his pay, and the other figure was "Rumored".

Another thing worth mentioning... in Dana's conference call yesterday someone asked him about if he had talked to Randy since he had been in town. Dana said he tried to call Randy twice, but Randy never called back. Randy said he spoke with Dana the day before his press conference, and it wasn't a yelling match. That Dana still asked him to come back.

Anyway, if you didn't see the press conference there's too much to mention. The most important thing to me that I got from it all.... unless Fedor fights in the UFC, we will never see the Couture/Fedor fight. Randy doesn't plan to fight anywhere else even after his contract is up, but is saying that Dana does not "own" him past the next 9 months. Randy made a point to even say that his loyalties have always been to the UFC... and in less words basically said he still intends to fight in the UFC if they can fix the b/s. He said he was offered $3 million to fight in Bodog against Fedor before he came out of retirement... he took a deal with Zuffa instead for $250,000+ per fight. That goes to show that even if Fedor has the clause saying M-1 has to offer him $1 million over what UFC offers.... We would most likely see him turn it down.... and if the fight were to take place... it would be in the UFC.

Anyway, take it as you will.... personally I'm a little disappointed that I lost that much faith in Randy prior to his press conference. Just goes to show how easily the media can effect your stand on something. Also, I'm not bandwagon jumping... I will most likely not ever stand behind Dana on the stuff that's going on either... Dana makes claims... Randy had proof. Also, Randy did make mention of the fact that the UFC will pay medical expenses when they are fighting... but if they get hurt outside the octagon it's up to the fighters.

BTW, I still don't support fighters making multi-millions per fight... then again I don't support fighters fighting for pennies either. That's what made me gain the respect for Randy again... it wasn't about the money... it was about them spreading the money to guys who probably didn't deserve it, and then giving him the shaft. He also said he would have never resigned if Dana would have responded and changed the crap that was going on.

Post #3   10/26/07 8:40:35AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

I will have to say... prior to Randy's press conference I was begining to question the manner in which he was doing things. I had lost a little respect for him with the whole money issue, but he gained it all back when he spoke at that conference.

I didn't read the link you posted, but I did get to record the press conference and watch it when I got home. Some of the things Randy said completely redeemed his image in my eyes. He talked about how it was "Never about the zeros"... It was more about the trading money behind closed doors to fighters who he felt didn't deserve it any more than he did... and the fact that they stopped doing that for him. He showed papers that gave what he was making... was nowhere near $3.25-$3.75 million. It was the $250,000.00 purse, and $1 per PPV per buy that's over 100,000 buys, and $3 per PPV buy that's over 330,000 buys.

Granted if the PPV sales were 500,000, he would have made somewhere around $720,000 from PPVs and $250,000 purse totalling $970,000. That is definitely nothing to bitch about, but is nowhere close to $3 million +. The fact that makes me believe him is he showed the papers regarding his pay, and the other figure was "Rumored".

Another thing worth mentioning... in Dana's conference call yesterday someone asked him about if he had talked to Randy since he had been in town. Dana said he tried to call Randy twice, but Randy never called back. Randy said he spoke with Dana the day before his press conference, and it wasn't a yelling match. That Dana still asked him to come back.

Anyway, if you didn't see the press conference there's too much to mention. The most important thing to me that I got from it all.... unless Fedor fights in the UFC, we will never see the Couture/Fedor fight. Randy doesn't plan to fight anywhere else even after his contract is up, but is saying that Dana does not "own" him past the next 9 months. Randy made a point to even say that his loyalties have always been to the UFC... and in less words basically said he still intends to fight in the UFC if they can fix the b/s. He said he was offered $3 million to fight in Bodog against Fedor before he came out of retirement... he took a deal with Zuffa instead for $250,000+ per fight. That goes to show that even if Fedor has the clause saying M-1 has to offer him $1 million over what UFC offers.... We would most likely see him turn it down.... and if the fight were to take place... it would be in the UFC.

Anyway, take it as you will.... personally I'm a little disappointed that I lost that much faith in Randy prior to his press conference. Just goes to show how easily the media can effect your stand on something. Also, I'm not bandwagon jumping... I will most likely not ever stand behind Dana on the stuff that's going on either... Dana makes claims... Randy had proof. Also, Randy did make mention of the fact that the UFC will pay medical expenses when they are fighting... but if they get hurt outside the octagon it's up to the fighters.

BTW, I still don't support fighters making multi-millions per fight... then again I don't support fighters fighting for pennies either. That's what made me gain the respect for Randy again... it wasn't about the money... it was about them spreading the money to guys who probably didn't deserve it, and then giving him the shaft. He also said he would have never resigned if Dana would have responded and changed the crap that was going on.

Randy was *supposedly* offered one $3mill fight with Fedor, instead he took a 4 fight deal with UFC, where he makes (according to the above link) $1.6-1.8 million per fight. So in 4 fights for the UFC he was looking to make $6.4 million dollars?

Post #4   10/26/07 10:04:12AM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

if there were 500,000 buys - he makes around 1.5 mil just from PPV not 720,000

Post #5   10/26/07 10:31:50AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by brooklynbadass
if there were 500,000 buys - he makes around 1.5 mil just from PPV not 720,000

$1.00 per buy over 100,000
$3.00 per buy over 330,000 (or 333,000 can't remember)

500,000 - 330,000 = 170,000 (PPVs over 330,000)
170,000 x $3.00 = $510,000

330,000 - 100,000 = 230,000 (PPVs over 100,000 but not 330,000)
230,000 x $1.00 = $230,000

$510,000 + $230,000 = $740,000

$740,000 (PPV earnings) + $250,000 (Fight purse) = $990,000

Post #6   10/26/07 11:08:37AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,969-1,003
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I think it is still a real possibility that we can see couture fighting in the ufc again soon.

He feel bad about some request who were denied and he want to be pay like the champ he is, so, i think that this issues is resolvable and nothing is broken forever.

Post #7   10/26/07 11:14:14AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Randy was *supposedly* offered one $3mill fight with Fedor, instead he took a 4 fight deal with UFC, where he makes (according to the above link) $1.6-1.8 million per fight. So in 4 fights for the UFC he was looking to make $6.4 million dollars?

The press conference I watched he didn't say the PPV bonus numbers were that big. He had said that he made about 500,000 each off of PPV bonus for the two fights he had just done prior to his last one and he was still waiting on the numbers for the third. But whatever, it's not about the 0's.

It's like when he addressed the reporters in the crowd about them putting in hard work for a company for 11 years and then all of the sudden the company hiring a rookie for more money. It's a respect issue, not a money issue.

I urge you to watch the actual video of Randy talking. Not some transcripted article about the video in which the author moves this quote and moves that quote in order for the words to fit his desires. Even though this article seems to be pro-Randy I've still seen some words that were twisted just enough to give the wrong impression.

If you can stand there and still say that Randy's bitching about nothing I really don't get it. That tells me that you've never been in a job where you put your hard work and effort into it and weren't given raises without having to bitch to your manager for them. I know I worked several jobs in which I never received a raise simply because I wasn't the type to bitch for one. I watched co-worker after co-worker bitch and complain to the manager and get raises. It always frustrated me because I wanted them to appreciate me for my loyalty and for the exact fact that I hadn't gone and bitched for raises. To me it showed I was a man of integrity and hard work ethic, and yet it went under appreciated and overlooked by management in a world where the guy who bitches with the loudest mouth gets what he wants.

I completely understand Randy's frustration. It's a matter of respect, not money. Randy could leave the fight game right now (as he seems to be doing) and make more money tomorrow doing half the work. He's just finally reached a breaking point.

Post #8   10/26/07 1:00:20PM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:
it was 1 dollar a buy if it was 100,000 buys. If it was over 300,000 buys then its 3 dollars per buy

3 x 500,000 = 1,500,000

In late August, Couture exercised a clause in his contract to audit Zuffa for the Gonzaga pay-per-view numbers. With official tallies for that bout still pending, Couture's estimations applied to the pay-per-view tiers provided place him in the $1.6 to $1.8 million dollar range per fight - still a far cry from the $3.25-$3.75 million that had been reported.

Last edited 10/26/07 1:07PM server time by brooklynbadass
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   10/26/07 1:04:57PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,217-1,243
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by silverbullet

If you can stand there and still say that Randy's bitching about nothing I really don't get it. That tells me that you've never been in a job where you put your hard work and effort into it and weren't given raises without having to bitch to your manager for them. I know I worked several jobs in which I never received a raise simply because I wasn't the type to bitch for one. I watched co-worker after co-worker bitch and complain to the manager and get raises. It always frustrated me because I wanted them to appreciate me for my loyalty and for the exact fact that I hadn't gone and bitched for raises. To me it showed I was a man of integrity and hard work ethic, and yet it went under appreciated and overlooked by management in a world where the guy who bitches with the loudest mouth gets what he wants.

AMEN. I left my last job because of not being appreciated. Now I make more money AND am appreciated. I can totally understand Randy's decision.

An organization is under no obligation to treat it's employees fairly when it comes to money, and they often don't.

Post #10   10/26/07 1:12:29PM   

LoSt

Learning to Sprawl

LoSt Avatar

Career:348-186
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I cant believe allthe negativeresponses randy is getting to this. I urge all of you to actually watch his press confrenceinstead of just reading an article about it and I guarentee you you will see things in a different light

Post #11   10/26/07 4:04:14PM   

unikcycle

Learning to Sprawl

unikcycle Avatar

Career:246-175
Chips:
I didn't watch the conference but I did read the article. I'm with Randy on this one. What your getting paid is relative... it doesn't matter if your getting paid millions if someone who is not as good as you are at your job is getting paid more than you... its an insult. The man is the face of the UFC he should be treated accordingly.

Post #12   10/26/07 4:52:30PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by LoSt

I cant believe allthe negativeresponses randy is getting to this. I urge all of you to actually watch his press confrenceinstead of just reading an article about it and I guarentee you you will see things in a different light

is there a link to the video? if so, i missed it.

Post #13   10/26/07 7:25:42PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I TIVO'd it on HDNET INside MMA. They showed most of the press conference.

Post #14   10/27/07 2:51:16AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
Yeah, i watched it. I've been looking for a link to it that doesn't require signing up for any website though.

you and your hdnet

Post #15   10/27/07 12:32:16PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2