Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

‘The Spider' Tops Fedor in Sherdog P4P Rankings

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
An incredible run by UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva combined with a long period of inactivity by Russian heavyweight stalwart has resulted in a shake up at the top of Sherdog.com's Pound-For-Pound mixed martial arts rankings.

1) Anderson Silva
2) Quinton Jackson
3) Fedor Emelianenko
4) Gilbert Melendez
5) Dan Henderson
6) Takanori Gomi
7) Shinya Aoki
8) Sean Sherk
9) Norifumi Yamamoto
10) Randy Couture

LINK

Post #1   10/25/07 8:32:58AM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:
I just don't like this.How could he be the best pound for pound fighter when he hasn't beat four out of the five best miidleweights? Am I wrong here?

Post #2   10/25/07 9:08:18AM   

Rich78

MMA Regular

Rich78 Avatar

Career:148-108
Chips:
I wouldn't say you're wrong, it's just a different perspective on it.

While I would agree that no, he hasn't beaten four out of the 5 best middleweights, nobody else, in any weight, has beaten these equivalent fighters lately, in their respective weight classes either. At least he has been consistently fighting, and winning 'recently', which can't be said for many others.

Like I said though, there is no right and wrong to rankings, it's all down to opinions, which, as the ever popular mmaweekly ranking threads have taught us, people will NEVER EVER agree on.

Last edited 10/25/07 9:17AM server time by rich78
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/25/07 9:16:10AM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
I agree that Fedor shouldn't be no. 1, but that list is rediculous.

First of all, where is GSP? I actually have him at number one. How can you not have him at least in the top ten?

Second, Randy Couture is retired. How can he still be in the top ten?

I agree that you could have Melendez above Gomi and Sherk, but not at number 4 overall. Sherk should not be in the top 10. He's waaaaay overrated.

Other than that, it's a decent list.

Post #4   10/25/07 9:25:59AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
Sherk, and Couture should not be on that list IMO.

BJ Penn, and GSP are top 10 P4P

Post #5   10/25/07 10:12:33AM   

Kdub

Learning to Sprawl

Kdub Avatar

Career:729-469
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
How is Sherk overated? He is probably the best LW fighter in the world. His work ethic is better than any MMA fighter in the game. His only 2 losses are to the best pound for pound fighter in the world GSP and the other loss is to Hughes. In which he brought Hughes the distance and won a couple rounds. He deserves to be in the top 10 PFP. At LW I don't think there is a fighter who can beat him (even Penn).

I know its tough to compare fights but Diaz killed Gomi and Sherk dominated Diaz. Don't be pissed because he has a wrestler style of fighting. He is as dominate as any fighter at his division.

Last edited 10/25/07 10:14AM server time by kdub

Post #6   10/25/07 10:13:15AM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:
you know I think Jackson is a gifted and extremely entertaining fighter but Pound for Pound the second best fighter in the world come on
lets see how he does against a healthy Rua or Wanderlei
when he beats them then I can see top 2
until then I think somewhere around 5 or 6

and yeah GSP got caught and now he doesn't even make the list

crazy

Post #7   10/25/07 10:16:04AM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:

Posted by Rich78

I wouldn't say you're wrong, it's just a different perspective on it.

While I would agree that no, he hasn't beaten four out of the 5 best middleweights, nobody else, in any weight, has beaten these equivalent fighters lately, in their respective weight classes either. At least he has been consistently fighting, and winning 'recently', which can't be said for many others.

Like I said though, there is no right and wrong to rankings, it's all down to opinions, which, as the ever popular mmaweekly ranking threads have taught us, people will NEVER EVER agree on.

I think you also have to factor in that his wins have been in a DOMINATING fashion and there is no immediate challenger that has a chance of beating him.

Last edited 10/25/07 10:50AM server time by brooklynbadass

Post #8   10/25/07 10:49:11AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,071-1,071
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
i agree about Anderson Silva on top, the main reason is probably his devasteting style !!

but, GSP should be second !!

if Dan herderson has his place even after a lost , well, i would argue that GSP should be there too !!!

Post #9   10/25/07 10:50:39AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by Kdub

How is Sherk overated? He is probably the best LW fighter in the world. His work ethic is better than any MMA fighter in the game. His only 2 losses are to the best pound for pound fighter in the world GSP and the other loss is to Hughes. In which he brought Hughes the distance and won a couple rounds. He deserves to be in the top 10 PFP. At LW I don't think there is a fighter who can beat him (even Penn).

I know its tough to compare fights but Diaz killed Gomi and Sherk dominated Diaz. Don't be pissed because he has a wrestler style of fighting. He is as dominate as any fighter at his division.

What work ethic are you talking about?! The guy just lost his belt for steroid abuse. You have to be freaking kidding me.

BJ Penn destroyed Hughes, and Hughes beat Sherk, so Penn would destroy Sherk. Sherk has no real stand-up to speak of, and his submissions are so so. He relies primarily on his wrestling ability. Now can you explain to me how he is a top fighter in the world, when his game is all 1D?

Post #10   10/25/07 11:04:34AM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:
I think Rampage should be number one after KOing Liddell and winning the descision over Hendo.

Post #11   10/25/07 11:05:21AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
That list is rediculous... and judging from just looking at it... they have absolutely no credibility when it comes to any fighter rankings with how poorly that is put together.

GSP IMO is #1, no question. Silva is great, and he has destroyed the MW division, but GSP has destroyed a very stacked division. Not to mention DESTROYING one of the most dominant champs of all time.

They don't have BJ Penn anywhere on the list, and they have Rampage as #2???? Don't get me wrong Page is an amazing fighter... but I don't see him as #2 P4P in the world.

Post #12   10/25/07 11:09:39AM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Kdub

What work ethic are you talking about?! The guy just lost his belt for steroid abuse. You have to be freaking kidding me.

BJ Penn destroyed Hughes, and Hughes beat Sherk, so Penn would destroy Sherk. Sherk has no real stand-up to speak of, and his submissions are so so. He relies primarily on his wrestling ability. Now can you explain to me how he is a top fighter in the world, when his game is all 1D?

Work ethics? or you meant JUICE ethics?
looks like he forgot to clean himself before the tests last time...ooopss.
by the way, it's not the best LW fighter in the world is the most boring one.

Post #13   10/25/07 11:18:52AM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Big deal everybody will beat liddell from here out......Shouldn't Shoguns name be talked about here. He destroyed rampage! After that he beat Big Nog, in the 2005 GP middleweight tourney. Then walked through Overeem and Arona on his way to the Tourney win. Blah, blah, blah he lost to Forrest. That wasn't shogun fighting, I dont know what the hell that was but the real deal will be back.....

This list is boarder line retarded, Most people have already commented on the extreme lack of respect for GSP, which is great. Any top 10 P4P list without him is discredited immediately by me.
1. Fedor
2. GSp
3. Shogun

Post #14   10/25/07 11:27:27AM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Whomever made this list must have just pulled names from a hat because it is rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #15   10/25/07 11:30:56AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2