Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor talks about signing with M1 Global

Print  
Could Rickson beat Fedor?
Yes by armbar 2 6%
Yes by RNC 0 0%
Yes by Flying Triangle 3 9%
Yes by Gogoplata 1 3%
Nope 28 82%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
“It would be an honor for me to fight him,” said Emelianenko of the former UFC heavyweight champion.

But Finkelchtein was quick to add another interesting name into the mix. “We would like to fight (Rickson) Gracie because he makes these statements that he knows how to fight to defeat Fedor."

LINK

Post #1   10/25/07 7:19:15AM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
That article is a crock. Fedor signed w/ M-1 b/c the UFC was not "global enough"? Or was it because they wouldn't sign his Russian buddies to a contract? Just becuase there aren't many (maybe any) Russians in the UFC doesn't mean it isn't global. There are fighters from everywhere: Canada, Mexico, Brazil, England, Japan, Australia, and pretty much every country in the world. There just aren't many top Russian fighters.

Fedor vs. Rickson? Ha...maybe Fedor should fight Royce. He might not even have to hold on to the ropes...

Post #2   10/25/07 9:42:44AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,496-1,195
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

That article is a crock. Fedor signed w/ M-1 b/c the UFC was not "global enough"? Or was it because they wouldn't sign his Russian buddies to a contract? Just becuase there aren't many (maybe any) Russians in the UFC doesn't mean it isn't global. There are fighters from everywhere: Canada, Mexico, Brazil, England, Japan, Australia, and pretty much every country in the world. There just aren't many top Russian fighters.

Fedor vs. Rickson? Ha...maybe Fedor should fight Royce. He might not even have to hold on to the ropes...

Post #3   10/25/07 11:05:03AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
I believe the stab at the UFC not being "global enough" is a stab at the fact that they are also an exclusive company. They sign a fighter and you are limited to only fighting UFC fighters. Fedor wants to fight anybody and everybody.

Post #4   10/25/07 11:37:02AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Well its Rickson by armbar clearly!!!! Imagine if they actually made that fight

Post #5   10/25/07 11:45:09AM   

MMA0922

Learning to Sprawl

Career:94-56
Chips:
even that Pride is no more, i believe they were more Global than the UFC,

except for Anderson Silva, the UFC tries to promote more the american figther more than others...

and if Fedor thinks that with M-1 is gonna have what he wants... and the company is gonna be better ...well thats his decision and i think we should respect that.

Post #6   10/25/07 12:53:39PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

The UFC is not that global IMO.

They have a large stock of fighters from the US, Brazil, Canada and Japan.

I can only think of one Aussie and that is Sinosic and he doesn't have a contract with the UFC. Also, England is not Europe and Japan is not Asia. They are small fish in big oceans.

How many fighters are there from Mexico? Not many if any. There are a few that probably live in the US, but their roots are in Mexico.

Correct me if I am wrong here.

Post #7   10/25/07 5:37:33PM   

kerazzle

MMA Regular

kerazzle Avatar

Career:349-189
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
man I love Fedor, but Finklestein is an idiot. ****** Rickson Gracie? I seriously doubt Fedor wants this fight considering he just said he doesnt consider himself the best fighter since he hasnt beaten the main crop of heavyweights out there.

Post #8   10/25/07 6:47:18PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I would love to see Rickson and Fedor fight.To mean that would be awesome.

Post #9   10/25/07 8:07:52PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
imo...it will be the same result as when matt hughes fought royce gracie...only worse because it is fedor. despite all of the fedor bashing, he is till one of if not the top fighter in the world. he should and will run through rickson, although i would love to see rickson sneak a stealthy submission because as a JJ fan i am a complete gracie worshiper. but i am not an idiot so i can say that fedor is going to smash one of my idols, although it is with a heavy heart.

Post #10   10/25/07 8:15:08PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Lol no appriciation for legends. The UFC is not global, they fight in the US and England, they promote american's far more then outsiders. I mean I hear more about Rich then Anderson, more about Hughes then GSP, more about Chuck then Wand(pretty much nothing about Wand), and more about Randy then anyone really. I don't blame them at all seriously, it's the smartest thing to do considering the biggest TV market in the world is the US, but for fighters they like to represent their country(look at GSP, Cro Cop, Fedor, all the Brazilians, ect) and they of course want to fight in front of their people.

Post #11   10/25/07 8:15:59PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Lol no appriciation for legends. The UFC is not global, they fight in the US and England, they promote american's far more then outsiders. I mean I hear more about Rich then Anderson, more about Hughes then GSP, more about Chuck then Wand(pretty much nothing about Wand), and more about Randy then anyone really. I don't blame them at all seriously, it's the smartest thing to do considering the biggest TV market in the world is the US, but for fighters they like to represent their country(look at GSP, Cro Cop, Fedor, all the Brazilians, ect) and they of course want to fight in front of their people.

have to agree with you there. it is a shame, but as you said, it is smarter business wise to keep it mostly in america. i would hate to see those fighters you mentioned leave because of that fact, and if they did, i can't really blame them.

i know this is going on a serious tangent but, i think ufc should go to canada, i mean it is close to the US and it has a good mma market with fighters like cote, gsp and goulet as big stars there. TKO is pretty successful, so i think the ufc should really consider canada as well, maybe have gsp fight for a title there.

again, srry for randomness

Last edited 10/25/07 8:26PM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   10/25/07 8:25:51PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by cmill21

have to agree with you there. it is a shame, but as you said, it is smarter business wise to keep it mostly in america. i would hate to see those fighters you mentioned leave because of that fact, and if they did, i can't really blame them.

i know this is going on a serious tangent but, i think ufc should go to canada, i mean it is close to the US and it has a good mma market with fighters like cote, gsp and goulet as big stars there. TKO is pretty successful, so i think the ufc should really consider canada as well, maybe have gsp fight for a title there.

again, srry for randomness

The thing no one seems to be picking up is, M-1's paying, M-1 has Fedor, and every single HW fighter see's fedor as the guy they have to beat to be known as the best, which is why I believe many of the Hw's will go to M-1. Do I think M-1 will put the UFC out of business? Hell no. Do I think they will build and become a very strong competitor? Yep. Monte Cox knows how the UFC works, and he know's why they became succesful, they will do their very best to break into the american market, and will be successful if Randy is on a card one day.

Post #13   10/25/07 9:16:57PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
LOL at calling out Rickson. He hasn't fought since his son died. Not too mention... HE'S FLIPPING 49!!!!

He's probably my favorite legend, but come on.

Post #14   10/25/07 11:14:35PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I agree that the UFC is not global. THey promote almost exclusively in the US and they have promoted their top fighters---Americans--heavily while acting confused and befuddled on how to market a guy like Silva who is absolutley decimating the field.

I do think that they are positioning themselves to make a global push though since they are buying up global competition and bringing in other fighters. Remember, UFC basically came out of two camps----Karate guys and Brazilian Ju Jitsu fighters. So it makes sense that it's primarily Americans, Canadians, and Brazilians. While Pride came out Japanese wrestling and has ties with Judo and Sambo. That pulls from an entirely different set of countries.

Post #15   10/26/07 2:13:04PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2