Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Randy Couture: Hero or Joke?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Hero or Joke? How about neither?
There isn't too much me that frustrates me than the liberal (mis)use of the term "hero". While Couture is indeed a physical anomaly, he has done nothing 'heroic'. Did he defy the odds? Absolutely. Heroic? Negative. Yes, I know it's just semantics, but that really chaps my ass.
Joke? I think it's a smart move for a 44 yr. old fighter on top of the world, to use his recent (surprising) success and pursue other business opportunities, whether it be acting, a car lot, or whatever. Couture can't fight forever and the only place to go was down. The non-fight with Fedor may have been the best thing to happen to Coutures financial future/retirement with his hot, younger wife. (Man, I need to get me some cauliflower ears and seven-figures in the bank.)
In any case I think many are dwelling on this whole thing far too much. MMA will go on, UFC will go on. I don't think Randy will be missed in the ring nearly as much as he will as ambassador and face of the UFC, as he was following the Liddell-imposed retirement.
I do find it entertaining that many on this site, among others, were blasting Dana White for not giving Fedor a carte blanche contract, then nailing him for offering so much that it upset Couture. I feel that fighters, if they aren't already, should start putting 'escalators' in their contract, ie. additional % for main event/co-main event fights, etc.
It's time to let this topic go. There are three sides to every story: What DW says, Couture says, and the truth tucked away in the middle somewhere. Unfortunately we may never know.

-OUT-

I didn't call him either a hero OR a joke... that was the title of the article.

I also never blasted Dana for not offering Fedor enough money... I couldn't believe Fedor turned down the most lucrative deal offered to him.

I do agree that he will be mostly missed as an ambassador as well. The fact of not getting to watch his "Final" fight is upsetting itself, but it's the fact of not getting to see or hear him anymore involving UFC.

I also agree that at this point neither Couture, nor Dana are telling the entire story. I think each of them are telling portions that makes them look better.

I know it was the title of the article, I read it. I was just commenting on it, not trying to call you out or anything. It's all good.

Post #16   10/24/07 9:26:16PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:992-648
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

There is a BIG problem in MMA. fighters are not getting what they deserve. In Mayweather De La Hoya. Fighters Got Payed 30 Million EACH. The highest paid fight in MMA was (I Think) Rampage Chuck. The MMA worlds NEEDS a man like don king that will Raise the pay.
MMA fighters have a lot more on the line. broken limbs, torn ligaments, concussions, cuts (like kalibs). They are NOT getting payed what they deserve.

Its retarded how soccer, hockey and basketball players get payed more than Men who put there life on the line EVERYTIME they step into an octagon.

Hell no They dont need someone like Don King.... why so he can take good fighters in MMA and destroy everything they have like ::cough:: Mike TYSON ::cough::

Post #17   10/24/07 9:57:09PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I just want to say one thing

Dana said the him and Courture are friends
well a real friend would help out a friend and
let him fight who he wants

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #18   10/25/07 2:55:11AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

I just want to say one thing

Dana said the him and Courture are friends
well a real friend would help out a friend and
let him fight who he wants

I disagree man.... Friends are friends, and Business is business. I'm sure he said they were friends to make it seem likes it's not as big a deal as it was.

If he let him fight who he wants, he'd have to let everyone fight who they wanted... I think everyone gets a small say in who they fight... but ultimately it is Zuffa's decision.

Post #19   10/25/07 10:22:34AM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
yeah but its not like the UFC couldnt make any $ off of the fight M-1 cant get PPV buys like the UFC let alone get PPV to show their fights so why not get together for the fight everyone wants to see

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #20   10/25/07 2:27:28PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

yeah but its not like the UFC couldnt make any $ off of the fight M-1 cant get PPV buys like the UFC let alone get PPV to show their fights so why not get together for the fight everyone wants to see

Granted M-1 at the moment is a skeptical, relatively unknown organization.... if they had the Couture/Fedor PPV.... they would have PPV companies falling at their feet trying to broadcast the fight. Let alone anyone MMA fan who hears that the Couture/Fedor fight takes place will most likely buy that PPV with little regard as to what organization is doing it. M-1 may be green in the grand scheme of things, but if there is one PPV I see them having no problem selling is a Couture/Fedor fight.

Post #21   10/25/07 2:36:02PM   

Ogre365

MMA Regular

Career:84-60
Chips:
Man **** that writer. Dissing Gonzaga like he had no place fighting Couture. Then he goes and makes it sound like "The Rock has some phony movie career, he made some good movies in my opinion. This guy dissing everyone just makes him sound like a dick.

Post #22   10/25/07 3:38:00PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Ogre365

Man **** that writer. Dissing Gonzaga like he had no place fighting Couture. Then he goes and makes it sound like "The Rock has some phony movie career, he made some good movies in my opinion. This guy dissing everyone just makes him sound like a dick.

He wasn't dissing Gonzaga... he was stating that if Randy had no problem fighting Gonzaga, why is he not willing to fight Minotauro Nogueira, Mirko Cro Cop, Andrei Arlovski, Cheick Kongo, or Brandon Vera; but only willing to fight Fedor.

Post #23   10/25/07 3:55:43PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:

Posted by bearsmith

this is in reply to RMFG_187
Boxers get paid more because the promotions for big fights like mayweather vs del ahoya are on a much larger scale than mma promotions and there is at the moment more money in big name boxing fights than there is in mma.it dosnt really have antin to do with the risks that fighters take but as time goes by nd mma grows im sure mma fighters purses will also grow

Partially true but not entirely true. The Couture v. Lidell III fight made 3 million at the gate and 20 million at PPV. You can not seriously tell me that if a PPV event pulled in 23 million dollars (not including merch sold) that a BOXER or his management would allow a fighter to pull in 250K. That's ludicrous. Name a fighter who will fight for that knowingly and I'll sell them a bridge in Brooklyn. You are an idiot if you take that deal. The difference here is, expectations for MMA fighters' pay has not caught up to the actual revenue draws. There is no conscionable way to advocate that a company makes 95% of the profits off of a 23 million dollar fight and the entire roster of fighters that night gets paid a grand total of 667,000 with bonuses. that's ludicrous.

Post #24   10/26/07 2:20:40PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
Corey Ellis, the guy who wrote that article, is a complete Retard...Where do I begin?

"Randy Couture said he wasn't getting enough respect—which of course implies that the respect of millions of fans across the world and hundreds of other fighters wasn't sufficient enough for him."

-Randy said from the beginning that it was the lack of respect FROM DANA AND THE UFC that led him to this decision. I'm sure Randy loves the respect from the fans, But let me ask you: If you felt your boss didn't respect you, would YOU want to still be there?

"I don't see how money could have been such a huge problem—Couture was making at least $100,000 a fight."

-It's not the money itself, It's the fact that One of the greatest Champs of all time and one of the reasons the UFC is Where it is today is pissed that Fighters who come over from other organizations get offered more than double what Randy made per fight, and Randy has Been there for 11 years.

"Is Couture's head so big that he couldn't bring himself to fight the likes of Minotauro Nogueira, Mirko Cro Cop, Andrei Arlovski, Cheick Kongo, or Brandon Vera?"

-Once again, THe only thing left for couture to accomplish IS to beat the #1 ranked heavyweight in the world, he doesn't have time left to fight these guys, or a reason to, for that matter.

And did this guy REALLY compare Randy Couture to "The Rock?"

I saw this article, and Corey Ellis, the guy who wrote it, as a complete joke. Point Blank.

Last edited 10/27/07 10:24PM server time by ChokeUOut
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #25   10/27/07 10:23:57PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Chips:
yeah the whole "what about the respect of the fans" argument horrible. They don't even corrolate. Randy Couture didn't come out and say "I'm sick of MMA. I've been doing it forever and I haven't gotten any love from the fans." He said he had a problem getting respect from the BUSINESS that was paying him to do his professional job. Big difference. Homie needs to take a logic course and learn how to connect the dots. I'm actually embarrassed for him.

Post #26   10/28/07 10:18:03AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
One thing I don't like is the fact that Randy wanted to fight Fedor but then gets pissed at Dana for offering him a hell of a lot of money to get the fight to happen. It makes no sense. Randy said he retired for two reasons, respect and that there is no one left to fight. BUt when he explains these reasons they seem to conflict with each other.

Randy said that it was never about the money and that he fought to fight. Why did that all of a sudden change from fighting to fight, to fighting for respect?

I love Randy but I think this was a bad move.

Last edited 10/28/07 2:33PM server time by nubby
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #27   10/28/07 2:32:17PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Chips:
Simple....Dana offered the money to Fedor but didn't respectively offer the same or better to Randy. That's a lack of respect.

If the heavyweight champion of the world fights a challenger who should get paid more....the challenger or the heavyweight champ? The champ. That shows respect to the one that EARNED that position.

Post #28   10/28/07 8:06:29PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2