Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Randy Couture: Hero or Joke?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
Before you start flaming... I love Randy!! You can search my posts, and you won't find a single post of me saying one bad thing about him (except some borderline comments when it comes to money). I did not post this as a blow to Randy's reputation, and I don't necessarily agree with the manner in which the author of this states some of his thoughts. The reason I just to post this is because this guy makes some good comments. Obviously he is wrong about the numbers ($250,000++ per fight)

"Randy Couture said he wasn't getting enough respect—which of course implies that the respect of millions of fans across the world and hundreds of other fighters wasn't sufficient enough for him.

Instead, Couture needed the approval of a fat, bald, ex-boxer and two money-grubbing brothers. I don't see how money could have been such a huge problem—Couture was making at least $100,000 a fight."

Article

Post #1   10/24/07 4:00:27PM   

EvilScott

MMA Regular

EvilScott Avatar

Career:681-409
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
The issue the article fails to address is time left in Couture's career. He's an old man and probably got only a few good fights left in him.

Why waste time on small fries when the big fish is right there? Randy doesn't have time left to waste.

The whole money issue...I don't know what to think.

Post #2   10/24/07 4:05:56PM   

payne8888

Learning to Sprawl

payne8888 Avatar

Career:67-48
Camp: UDIN
Chips:
I agree w/most of the article. Couture has really gone about this in the wrong way IMO.

Post #3   10/24/07 4:09:05PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Couture's agent, however, had a much different story to tell—he said the split was due to the fact that Randy wasn't getting enough respect from management, or as much money as notable fighters like Chuck Liddell.

If Randy could beat Chuck Liddell, than maybe he would deserve Chuck's pay.

EDIT Randy fought Gonzaga because he knew that he could beat him. With all due respect, I do not consider Gonzaga a world-class MMA contender. However, a rematch with Tim Sylvia or a fight against Big Nog would result in a probable loss for Couture. Good timing for him to step out.

Last edited 10/24/07 4:13PM server time by silverbullet
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   10/24/07 4:10:24PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
There is a BIG problem in MMA. fighters are not getting what they deserve. In Mayweather De La Hoya. Fighters Got Payed 30 Million EACH. The highest paid fight in MMA was (I Think) Rampage Chuck. The MMA worlds NEEDS a man like don king that will Raise the pay.
MMA fighters have a lot more on the line. broken limbs, torn ligaments, concussions, cuts (like kalibs). They are NOT getting payed what they deserve.

Its retarded how soccer, hockey and basketball players get payed more than Men who put there life on the line EVERYTIME they step into an octagon.

Post #5   10/24/07 4:12:56PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
I love Randy coutoure but i do have to agree with this article.....if he wasnt happy about his pay why did he sign the contract in the first place....Plus there is still plenty of competition for him in the UFC without Fedor......I do agree that fighters in the UFC should be making more money, but if you sign a contract you should honor it!!!!!!!!

Post #6   10/24/07 4:14:21PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by silverbullet
If Randy could beat Chuck Liddell, than maybe he would deserve Chuck's pay.

I agree, I think he probably should have made more than Liddell, but the fact of the matter is the amount Randy receives is the same amount he was happy with when he signed the contract. He said himself that fighters are a pretty tightly intertwined group. So I assume that means that he probably knew what Chuck was making before he signed that contract.

I love Randy, I wish none of this had happened... I just hope that this whole deal doesn't create a big stink in the MMA world, and either bankrupt Couture for trying to fight elsewhere... or if the UFC's contracts proved to be worth nothing in court, we could see a possible fall for the UFC. I think either way... the fans lose!

-Edit-
BTW, Randy lost the last 2 fights against Chuck... I could see why Chuck would have gotten more money than Randy before Chuck started losing.

Last edited 10/24/07 4:22PM server time by tnunley

Post #7   10/24/07 4:21:52PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,065-1,066
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
i hope that we will have somekind of the beginning of an answers about all this shit when we will see the press conference tomorrow.

as for the respect, when million of peoples respect you and love you, it is hard to believe that you can just forget about all that love and that respect just to fight a russian who has choked !!

and as for the money, with all the ppv % and all the sponsorship money , it is hard to be with randy, specially when the guy live in a 5 million dollars or more house !!

Last edited 10/24/07 4:27PM server time by tuvok500

Post #8   10/24/07 4:25:34PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
BTW,

even if Randy stays with UFC, he can still fight fedor, in M-1 press conference Monty Cox stated that in fedors contract theres a clause which says he gets the chance to fight the HW UFC champion, and pay him 1 million extra to fight fedor, with an added 1 million to the winners purse

YAY, they can still fight, and there is NO WAY randys getting outta that contract unless he retires.

Post #9   10/24/07 4:30:13PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

i hope that we will have somekind of the beginning of an answers about all this shit when we will see the press conference tomorrow.

as for the respect, when million of peoples respect you and love you, it is hard to believe that you can just forget about all that love and that respect just to fight a russian who has choken !!

and as for the money, with all the ppv % and all the sponsorship money , it is hard to be with randy, specially when the guy live in a 5 million dollars or more house !!

I agree, but I don't necessarily expect to get any true answers. We will hear one version of the story, and then Dana will come back with a response. Couture could try and give details of his contract, but I think Dana would probably respond saying it is untrue. I doubt Dana would be willing to release the information of what Randy was truely making just due to the fact that if he really was paying Randy multi-millions that could lead to many other fighters demanding the same.

It is so hard to look at a guy you admire and think he could do any wrong. I personally don't think either one of them are "right". That being said... Tuvok makes a good point... has anyone seen the house Randy lives in? It's HUGE... not to mention he just went through a "nasty divorce" and probably lost a large sum of money. So it would be silly to think that Randy doesn't have an insane amount of money. I constantly find myself going back and forth between Dana being at fault, and Randy going about things entirely the wrong way.... then again it's not my choice to make.

Post #10   10/24/07 4:31:51PM   

rockernhb

Learning to Sprawl

rockernhb Avatar

Career:225-132
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Never liked Couture, but I always give respect where respect is due. He is an icon and a great fighter, I personally would rather watch the undercards than watch him though. The only fight of his I really enjoyed was against Van Arsdale. But, he does deserve alot of credit for his abilities...

Post #11   10/24/07 4:32:53PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

BTW,

even if Randy stays with UFC, he can still fight fedor, in M-1 press conference Monty Cox stated that in fedors contract theres a clause which says he gets the chance to fight the HW UFC champion, and pay him 1 million extra to fight fedor, with an added 1 million to the winners purse

YAY, they can still fight, and there is NO WAY randys getting outta that contract unless he retires.

You could look at that in many different ways.

First you could look at it as a way to promote M-1 by enticing Couture to fight within their organization... the biggest PPV event of all time and *BAM*! M-1 has a huge reputation, and LOTS of press.

You could also look at it this way:

Maybe Fedor is tired of people calling him out on being afraid to fight Randy... maybe he understands that Randy can not fight Fedor unless it is within the UFC, or after his contract has been satisfied. Could just be a way to make himself look better for not taking the fight with Randy in the UFC.

Either way, I don't see Dana allowing Fedor to come to the UFC for 1 fight (A title fight BTW) and not staying. I'm sure Dana could care less if Fedor comes to the UFC now (at least unless top competition swarms to M-1(highly unlikely), and Fedor wins)

Post #12   10/24/07 4:35:35PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
Hero or Joke? How about neither?
There isn't too much me that frustrates me than the liberal (mis)use of the term "hero". While Couture is indeed a physical anomaly, he has done nothing 'heroic'. Did he defy the odds? Absolutely. Heroic? Negative. Yes, I know it's just semantics, but that really chaps my ass.
Joke? I think it's a smart move for a 44 yr. old fighter on top of the world, to use his recent (surprising) success and pursue other business opportunities, whether it be acting, a car lot, or whatever. Couture can't fight forever and the only place to go was down. The non-fight with Fedor may have been the best thing to happen to Coutures financial future/retirement with his hot, younger wife. (Man, I need to get me some cauliflower ears and seven-figures in the bank.)
In any case I think many are dwelling on this whole thing far too much. MMA will go on, UFC will go on. I don't think Randy will be missed in the ring nearly as much as he will as ambassador and face of the UFC, as he was following the Liddell-imposed retirement.
I do find it entertaining that many on this site, among others, were blasting Dana White for not giving Fedor a carte blanche contract, then nailing him for offering so much that it upset Couture. I feel that fighters, if they aren't already, should start putting 'escalators' in their contract, ie. additional % for main event/co-main event fights, etc.
It's time to let this topic go. There are three sides to every story: What DW says, Couture says, and the truth tucked away in the middle somewhere. Unfortunately we may never know.

-OUT-

Post #13   10/24/07 5:15:44PM   

bearsmith

Learning to Sprawl

bearsmith Avatar

Career:58-34
Chips:
this is in reply to RMFG_187
Boxers get paid more because the promotions for big fights like mayweather vs del ahoya are on a much larger scale than mma promotions and there is at the moment more money in big name boxing fights than there is in mma.it dosnt really have antin to do with the risks that fighters take but as time goes by nd mma grows im sure mma fighters purses will also grow

Last edited 10/24/07 5:49PM server time by bearsmith

Post #14   10/24/07 5:46:59PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Hero or Joke? How about neither?
There isn't too much me that frustrates me than the liberal (mis)use of the term "hero". While Couture is indeed a physical anomaly, he has done nothing 'heroic'. Did he defy the odds? Absolutely. Heroic? Negative. Yes, I know it's just semantics, but that really chaps my ass.
Joke? I think it's a smart move for a 44 yr. old fighter on top of the world, to use his recent (surprising) success and pursue other business opportunities, whether it be acting, a car lot, or whatever. Couture can't fight forever and the only place to go was down. The non-fight with Fedor may have been the best thing to happen to Coutures financial future/retirement with his hot, younger wife. (Man, I need to get me some cauliflower ears and seven-figures in the bank.)
In any case I think many are dwelling on this whole thing far too much. MMA will go on, UFC will go on. I don't think Randy will be missed in the ring nearly as much as he will as ambassador and face of the UFC, as he was following the Liddell-imposed retirement.
I do find it entertaining that many on this site, among others, were blasting Dana White for not giving Fedor a carte blanche contract, then nailing him for offering so much that it upset Couture. I feel that fighters, if they aren't already, should start putting 'escalators' in their contract, ie. additional % for main event/co-main event fights, etc.
It's time to let this topic go. There are three sides to every story: What DW says, Couture says, and the truth tucked away in the middle somewhere. Unfortunately we may never know.

-OUT-

I didn't call him either a hero OR a joke... that was the title of the article.

I also never blasted Dana for not offering Fedor enough money... I couldn't believe Fedor turned down the most lucrative deal offered to him.

I do agree that he will be mostly missed as an ambassador as well. The fact of not getting to watch his "Final" fight is upsetting itself, but it's the fact of not getting to see or hear him anymore involving UFC.

I also agree that at this point neither Couture, nor Dana are telling the entire story. I think each of them are telling portions that makes them look better.

Post #15   10/24/07 6:27:04PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2