Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 77: Kalib Starnes on skull cut that stopped fight (Pic Included)

Print  
Do You Think The UFC Should Pay For Medical Costs?
Yes 105 85%
No 6 5%
Not if it means we have to pay more for ppv 13 10%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

“Two layers about 15-20 [stitches] in the meat, and 15-20 in the skin…. It cost me about five times as much as I made just to train for that fight, I took a huge financial loss, I’m more upset about that than I am about losing actually. I left with $4,800 after taxes and deductions. Every time I fight I gamble with my health, reputation and financial well being and to have a cut just detroy all my hard work and personal sacrifice like that, I can’t help but wonder if it’s even worth it.”

click here for full article

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #1   10/24/07 5:16:31AM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
You figure with how shitty fighters get paid that they would at least get some type of medical insurance

If a preliminary fighters loses by a 1st round ko and gets his jaw broken, hes gonna end up spending more money then he made on hospital bills

Last edited 10/24/07 5:19AM server time by sam_rothstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   10/24/07 5:18:52AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Firstly LOL at the poll, i seriously hope nobody picks the third option if they make millions as it is per ppv then they can easily the few thousand for the odd medical bill

So here is another example of how the UFC dont treat the fighters well enough, its good timing for this to happen and Kalib to say something like that cos id never thought about it before!

Its utter bullsheeet that the UFC dont pay the medical bills, they benfit when theres a sick cut like that so im sure they could stretch to pay to get it fixed ffs! So say for example if there was a nice armbar where the guy didnt tap straight away and ended up getting it broken, the WINNER would get the $40,000 bonus for sub of the night but the LOSER would be left with a few thousand $ medical bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #3   10/24/07 6:01:43AM   

Rich78

MMA Regular

Rich78 Avatar

Career:148-108
Chips:
This never crossed my mind either, but I would have presumed that the UFC would happily pay for any injuries fighters pick up while performing FOR them!

If true (which I am optimistically doubting) I think it's an absolute disgrace that they don't have any kind of medical insurance already in place for their fighters. No wonder some fighters fight 'not to lose' rather than to go all out for the win, as paying any resultant medical bills from their own pocket would seem like a decent reason to 'play it safe' IMO. As if it cost him this much for a cut, imagine what it would be for a break or something more serious.

Unless I have missinterpreted it, and he is claiming he didn't make much money while TRAINING for the fight. If thats the case, well I don't really blame the UFC, other than they should be paying their fighters more generally, but that has been discussed already, and I don't see what he is getting at.

Post #4   10/24/07 6:42:40AM   

strongmma

Learning to Sprawl

strongmma Avatar

Career:1,033-553
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

You figure with how shitty fighters get paid that they would at least get some type of medical insurance

If a preliminary fighters loses by a 1st round ko and gets his jaw broken, hes gonna end up spending more money then he made on hospital bills

granted this is no excuse, but the guy is canadian. we don't exactly think about getting medical insurance when we live in a country of free medicare.

Post #5   10/24/07 8:02:47AM   

slappywhite

MMA Regular

slappywhite Avatar

Career:806-546
Camp: Bobbaganoosh
Chips:

Posted by Rich78

Unless I have missinterpreted it, and he is claiming he didn't make much money while TRAINING for the fight.

seems ppl didn't understand that part like you and I :D

Post #6   10/24/07 8:59:20AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
He never mentions anything about having to pay for the medical bills. I could have swore that the UFC carried health insurance on their fighters.

Post #7   10/24/07 9:04:50AM   

Rich78

MMA Regular

Rich78 Avatar

Career:148-108
Chips:
Yeah, thats what I was hinting at, but if not, then what point is he trying to make!?

He says....Every time I fight I gamble with my health, reputation and financial well being and to have a cut just detroy all my hard work and personal sacrifice like that....

Well surely thats the nature of the beast when you're a professional mma fighter. Unless you're getting paid serious money, which apparently not many fighters are, then surely this goes for everybody else also, and you don't hear anyone else complaining. Doesn't look or sound like his heart is in fighting.

Post #8   10/24/07 9:17:37AM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Firstly LOL at the poll, i seriously hope nobody picks the third option if they make millions as it is per ppv then they can easily the few thousand for the odd medical bill

So here is another example of how the UFC dont treat the fighters well enough, its good timing for this to happen and Kalib to say something like that cos id never thought about it before!

Its utter bullsheeet that the UFC dont pay the medical bills, they benfit when theres a sick cut like that so im sure they could stretch to pay to get it fixed ffs! So say for example if there was a nice armbar where the guy didnt tap straight away and ended up getting it broken, the WINNER would get the $40,000 bonus for sub of the night but the LOSER would be left with a few thousand $ medical bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey CornishMMA, I know I argued in favor of the pay for UFC fighters last week but I agree it is total bullsh*t if the UFC does not cover medical expenses for fighters. They want guys to lay it all on the line when they fight on their shows but then leave them hanging when an injury happens is just not right.

Post #9   10/24/07 9:22:22AM   

The_hungry_lumberjack

MMA Regular

The_hungry_lumberjack Avatar

Career:263-169
Camp: Purebred Fight Team
Chips:
It would be in the UFC's best interests to pay medical costs associated with their events. In doing so they would provide the type of mental security that would allow their fighters to fight all out, leading to more exciting fights. Cut's happen what... once, twice a night? If Dana is willing to pay 500k for chuck lidell to fight and lose he obiously has the money to throw a few thousand at medical and keep his fighters performing their best.

Post #10   10/24/07 10:12:10AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

2 people have so far, seriously.

I thought UFC did pay all the medical expenses, at least that's what I once read somewhere. Maybe I misread something.

Post #11   10/24/07 10:16:09AM   

conlin952

Learning to Sprawl

Career:124-92
Camp: Squirrel House
Chips:
Why are you fighting without health coverage?

Post #12   10/24/07 11:21:51AM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
The UFC might even be able to write off paying for fighters medical expenses by calling it charity or something like that.

Post #13   10/24/07 11:43:36AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by Rich78

Yeah, thats what I was hinting at, but if not, then what point is he trying to make!?

He says....Every time I fight I gamble with my health, reputation and financial well being and to have a cut just detroy all my hard work and personal sacrifice like that....

Well surely thats the nature of the beast when you're a professional mma fighter. Unless you're getting paid serious money, which apparently not many fighters are, then surely this goes for everybody else also, and you don't hear anyone else complaining. Doesn't look or sound like his heart is in fighting.

I could see him saying:

"Every time I fight I gamble with my health, reputation and financial well being and to have a cut just detroy all my hard work and personal sacrifice like that"

And I could see him meaning that the cut destroyed it all as in, the cut is what lost the fight. He didn't get submitted or KO'd, but because he was cut he lost the fight. Which in all honesty I could agree that, that's kind of a crappy way to lose. You obviously took a brutal shot to get cut like that, and it didn't knock you out...

How many times have we seen up and coming fighters on TUF have to go to the doctor, and while they are on the show they talk about how broke they are? I would assume some of those guys, if they are as broke as they say they are, couldn't afford to go to the doctor.

I don't honestly know how it works behind the scenes as a professional fighter, but I would assume Zuffa/UFC is a business like any other. When you get hurt on the job it is the business's job to pay the medical expense (Worker's Compensation), so I would assume for them to be able to sign fighters in contracts they would almost have to have some sort of medical insurance provided... or at least doctors on staff that specifically take care of the fighters free of charge.

Post #14   10/24/07 11:43:48AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
F.Y.I According to whoever runs UFCMANIA, the UFC does pay for their fighters medical bills, but only if it occurs while they are fighting. He was infact talking about how much money he dumped into training and everything else leading up to the fight.

Post #15   10/24/07 2:22:47PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2