Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ken Shamrock To Hold Open Tryouts

Print  
Would You Join Lions Den?
Yes 16 57%
No 9 32%
If he teaches me his awesome ankle submission 3 11%
Posted By Message

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:959-564
Chips:
Ken Shamrock is looking for additional fighters and announced that he would be holding open tryouts on Oct. 25 for any interested mixed martial artists.

Head coach of the Nevada Lions of the International Fight League, Shamrock is looking for eight athletes for that team for the upcoming 2008 season, as well as for new additions to his own fight team, The Lion’s Den.

Tryouts will be held at The Stadium Sport and Fitness Club in Reno, Nevada. They will consist of several drills and sparring in the various MMA disciplines.

For further information, contact Lance Foreman at 530-252-8071 or email at foremanx5@yahoo.com.

click here for full article

Last edited 10/19/07 9:25PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/19/07 6:53:55PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Ken Shamrock is a tough guy, and all. I've got my own form of respect for him, but I'm not sure if I'd want him training me. Although I'm sure he could teach almost anybody a thing or two

Post #2   10/19/07 9:20:42PM   

rcg916

MMA Sensei

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Ken Shamrock is a tough guy, and all. I've got my own form of respect for him, but I'm not sure if I'd want him training me. Although I'm sure he could teach almost anybody a thing or two

He has been in the game since day 1, fought under every rule imaginable...

If I was a fighter, Id love to get a little bit of that experience passed onto me...

Post #3   10/19/07 9:43:30PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
I remember they video-taped the tryouts last year, and I must say it was friggin' brutal. He tries to break your will, day one was basically all recruits walking up and down a one mile muddy hill with sandbags or water barrels... suffice to say not everyone makes it to day two...

Shamrock has always had a great rap sheet as a coach, and although he will never be able to train a Ken Shamrock clone, the catch wrestling background really helps to break away from the mold since it seems as though everyone is training BJJ these days.

Post #4   10/20/07 2:09:38AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by Jackelope

He has been in the game since day 1, fought under every rule imaginable...

If I was a fighter, Id love to get a little bit of that experience passed onto me...

Like I even said in my own post, I'm sure he could teach almost anybody a thing or two. I just don't feel that he fits my style, therefore, I wouldn't want to train under him. More power to those that would.

I pretty much only posted what I did to interject with some form of conversation since the thread hadn't been replied to prior to my reply

Post #5   10/20/07 3:46:05AM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Chips:
I think it would pretty cool to learn something from him. I don't think he would be able to train a champion fighter but i bet he would be able to train a good prospect

Post #6   10/20/07 6:31:28AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,054-1,311
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
No way in hell would I train with Shamrock.

Not because I think he sucks or anything,but because his training is very very brutal.I would probably cry a quarter of the way through the first day and go home.LOL.

I remember Frank talking about his training.500 push ups 500 sit ups.And that was just the warm up!

You have to be one tough dude to survive Kens training.

Post #7   10/20/07 9:26:10AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

I think it would pretty cool to learn something from him. I don't think he would be able to train a champion fighter but i bet he would be able to train a good prospect

Frank Shamrock, Vernon White, Guy Mezger and Jerry Bolhander are four of his fighters to have been champion... and that's just off the top of my head...

Post #8   10/21/07 2:08:44PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
Actually, a lot of the coaches of in the IFL are looking for new talent...not just Ken

Post #9   10/21/07 4:21:12PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Chips:

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Frank Shamrock, Vernon White, Guy Mezger and Jerry Bolhander are four of his fighters to have been champion... and that's just off the top of my head...

yeah but those guys all had there time years ago, im talking about making a current champion in a bigger named organization

frank shamrock is the only guy who is a champion atm that i know of and he will probably be back to doing seminars in a few years

Last edited 10/22/07 5:01AM server time by sam_rothstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   10/22/07 4:57:50AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

yeah but those guys all had there time years ago, im talking about making a current champion in a bigger named organization

frank shamrock is the only guy who is a champion atm that i know of and he will probably be back to doing seminars in a few years

John Gunderson and Roy Nelson both have a great chance at winning their IFL Grand Prix this year and becoming champions...

Post #11   10/23/07 7:22:05PM