Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC president Dana White defends MMA organization's pay structure

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
White maintains Couture was well compensated with a UFC contract second only to Chuck Liddell.

"Randy Couture is a multimillionaire, don't ever feel sorry for a multimillionaire, OK?" White told a news conference prior to UFC 77. "A lot of these guys are multimillionaires, they make millions and millions of dollars."

Asked about Keith Jardine, who made just US$14,000 for beating Liddell at UFC 76, White said his fighters weren't complaining - noting former champion Rich Franklin may only make $28,000 plus a $28,000 bonus if he beats title-holder Anderson Silva in Saturday night's main event.

LINK

Post #1   10/19/07 6:00:49AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:
I gave a starving african half a snickers when i had a lorry full of them that he had helped me get and that i could easily spare, its funny tho, the african didnt complain?

The UFC PPV cost is $40, they average about 1 million buys, they also make lots of money from ticket sales and merchandise, I DONT GIVE A FCKING CRAP if the fighters "dont complain" (aka are happy) about their pay, they DESERVE to be paid more, they could easily be paid more, Dana and the Fertitas make MILLIONS per UFC and are greedy fcking c***s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #2   10/19/07 6:06:45AM   

Rich78

MMA Regular

Rich78 Avatar

Career:148-108
Chips:
Cornish mate, stop being so subtle with your opinions dude, just say what you really mean!

I agree though, that the amount that they are making they should really be paying out more than for example 10% of what they're making. I know there will be overheads and businesses need to make a profit, but examples like Rich Franklin and Keith Jardine especially really highlight how little the fighters are earning compared to how much the business is making. And although Dana White may disagree, an awful lot of why MMA is so big right now is due to the fighters, moreso than any business acumen.

And I don't know why they don't release some salaries info in the face of the current backlash? I know they're a private company, and don't HAVE to, but if they are paying their guys more than the NSAC reports, then why don't UFC just let us know what Randy was making? Instead of looking like a big bunch of greedy, selfish..... what Cornish said

Post #3   10/19/07 6:33:17AM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
My opinion on the current fighter salaries is that the UFC has just recently exploded in popularity so the big money has just started rolling in. Most fighters have multi-fight deals which were signed before the MMA explosion occurred which has them locked into lower paying deals while a ton of cash is coming in. People need to be patient and eventually the fighters pay will rise.

Perfect example is Rich Franklin. He is one of the UFC's biggest names and is going to make 28K for his fight with Silva. Now, I believe that this is Franklin's last fight under his currect contract. Win or lose, Franklin will be getting a big raise after he signs his next deal. (at least he should get a big deal)

I feel that when we see Brandon Vera's pay we can gauge how well the UFC is treating their fighters since the UFC got big time. He is one of the guys that has recently signed a new deal. I have already noticed that the new fighters they have brought in over the last year are getting paid pretty well. Ex. Big Nog, Cro Cop, and even Herring.

Look, it's going to happen forever. When a business grows the owners/bosses will make their jack before the employees.

IMO, the UFC's fighters pay will skyrocket over the next couple of years after everyone's current contracts expire and they negotiate new contracts during this "boom" phase.

I think you'll see the "main eventers" making 7 figures a fight while the under card fighters will start making low 6 figures each fight. I feel that people get to worked up right now about the pay. Fighters have to honor their current contracts and cash in when they sign new deals.

Just my 2 cents....

Post #4   10/19/07 10:46:38AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:
All valid points but actually dude the big money has been coming in for almost 2 years now, turning over $40 million+ and only paying $500,000 to all the fighters doesnt add up to me

Post #5   10/19/07 11:44:35AM   

BigTomZ

MMA Regular

BigTomZ Avatar

Career:280-166
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I don't know if people understand that the shares of the PPV buys are huge for a fighters pay. For alot of fighters that share can double their pay for a fight.

Last edited 10/19/07 12:01PM server time by BigTomZ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   10/19/07 12:00:33PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

All valid points but actually dude the big money has been coming in for almost 2 years now, turning over $40 million+ and only paying $500,000 to all the fighters doesnt add up to me

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I just think that it takes a couple of years for some of these guys to get 5 or 6 fights to complete their low paying contracts.

I just think the UFC is in a transition phase. Hopefully soon we will be seeing the fighters payroll close to the 7 - 10 million range with a PPV gate of $40 million. Now, I will be on board if two years from now, UFC is still blowing up and is the hottest thing since sliced bread, and we still see guys fighting on PPV shows making just 8-10K/fight.

Post #7   10/19/07 12:43:18PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by BigTomZ

I don't know if people understand that the shares of the PPV buys are huge for a fighters pay. For alot of fighters that share can double their pay for a fight.

Precisely... anyone who talks about how a fighter "Deserves" more money obviously knows nothing about business.

Without the fighters, there could be no UFC, but without the UFC the fighters would be nowhere they are now. The UFC has earned the right to make profit from all of this... it's a business. They are obviously paying more than anyone else, so who are we to say they should be making more? Not to mention the fact that the only figures that go public are the PURSE. That is not the final number.

Someone mentioned something about 1,000,000 PPVs at $40 each. If you think that is all profit, or that the UFC sees every dollar of that money you're crazy. I think I heard somewhere they are only getting like 40% of the cut.

$39.99 x 1,000,000= $39,990,000
$39,990,000 x 40%= $15,996,000

So on the events where they sell 1 Million PPVs (IF they receive 40%) their cut is $15,996,000. Let's say the fighter's official purses end up being $500,000... that leaves them with roughly $15.5 million. God only knows what percentage of the PPV the fighters get. Even if on average they got 15% that would make a payout of roughly $2.4 million (Which I see this as a relatively low number considering the rumor of what Kevin Iole said Randy alone was getting per fight). Leaving the UFC with roughly $13 million. I have no idea what it costs to rent an arena in Vegas, or wherever they hold an event, but I can not imagine it is cheap. Not to mention the cost to hire security and event staff, pay the hotel, flights and medical insurance and expenses of the fighters and their people, advertising costs, etc. etc. etc. Then the whole expansion into Europe comes into play. I read an article saying that Zuffa's credit was starting getting worse now, and something about how much of their OWN money they are spending on this expansion... not loans... their own money.

So what do you think they should do? Throw every cent they earn at the fighters? Yeah that would be great... then we would never get to see another super stacked UFC event. Hell it would probably cost more money for them to put 4 or 5 top fighters on an event who make multi-millions per fight than they would even earn for the event. So what would we see? One big fight a year again???

Personally, without knowing what their exact P & L report looks like... none of us know anything about anything. So let's stop with the rediculous claims that Dana White is the Devil and how the fighters are so mistreated.

-Edit-
Wal-Mart makes millions of dollars EVERY DAY! Are you gonna start the campaign that their employees should make multi-millions? Its the same concept.

Last edited 10/19/07 12:56PM server time by TNunley

Post #8   10/19/07 12:52:04PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,071-1,071
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by BigTomZ

Precisely... anyone who talks about how a fighter "Deserves" more money obviously knows nothing about business.

Without the fighters, there could be no UFC, but without the UFC the fighters would be nowhere they are now. The UFC has earned the right to make profit from all of this... it's a business. They are obviously paying more than anyone else, so who are we to say they should be making more? Not to mention the fact that the only figures that go public are the PURSE. That is not the final number.

Someone mentioned something about 1,000,000 PPVs at $40 each. If you think that is all profit, or that the UFC sees every dollar of that money you're crazy. I think I heard somewhere they are only getting like 40% of the cut.

So on the events where they sell 1 Million PPVs (IF they receive 40%) their cut is $15,996,000. Let's say the fighter's official purses end up being $500,000... that leaves them with roughly $15.5 million. God only knows what percentage of the PPV the fighters get. Even if on average they got 15% that would make a payout of roughly $2.4 million (Which I see this as a relatively low number considering the rumor of what Kevin Iole said Randy alone was getting per fight). Leaving the UFC with roughly $13 million. I have no idea what it costs to rent an arena in Vegas, or wherever they hold an event, but I can not imagine it is cheap. Not to mention the cost to hire security and event staff, pay the hotel, flights and medical insurance and expenses of the fighters and their people, advertising costs, etc. etc. etc. Then the whole expansion into Europe comes into play. I read an article saying that Zuffa's credit was starting getting worse now, and something about how much of their OWN money they are spending on this expansion... not loans... their own money.

So what do you think they should do? Throw every cent they earn at the fighters? Yeah that would be great... then we would never get to see another super stacked UFC event. Hell it would probably cost more money for them to put 4 or 5 top fighters on an event who make multi-millions per fight than they would even earn for the event. So what would we see? One big fight a year again???

Personally, without knowing what their exact P & L report looks like... none of us know anything about anything. So let's stop with the rediculous claims that Dana White is the Devil and how the fighters are so mistreated.

-Edit-
Wal-Mart makes millions of dollars EVERY DAY! Are you gonna start the campaign that their employees should make multi-millions? Its the same concept.

LOL
Wal-Mart !! LOL

i can imagine a guy starting to complain about receiving only 10 cents of increasement a years !!

as 90.045% of the time, i agree with you man !!

dana is not a monster , he is the reason why we are enjoying making picks here with alot of peoples, if ufc was not there, i can only imagine how many peoples would have been here to make there picks !!!

Post #9   10/19/07 1:47:44PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Yeah it's Randy's flippin' fought. He WORKED out that deal with Dana and loved it. And now hes unhappy? Its just because he wants to fight fedor...

Post #10   10/19/07 2:41:08PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Its because they offered Fedor a lot more money then they are paying there own champion.....talk about a slap in the face from the UFC......

Post #11   10/19/07 3:00:58PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by BigTomZ

-Edit-

I agree we dont know the exact numbers or all the numbers but in your little math thing there you forgot to add in the profits of the ticket sales and merchandise which must add up to a fair bit! Where the hell did you pluck that 15% figure from? i very much doubt randy or even chuck were getting as much as that of the ppv sales profit!!! Its not mainly about Randy or the big name fighters tho! its the guys that fill the rest of the card and only get a few thousand that i feel sorry for and thinking should be paid alot more

Yes, ok, yes, then after all that expenses and stuff taken away what do you honestly think Dana or the Fertitas make as pure profit per event? Im pretty damn sure its more than the $10,000 the vast majority of fighters on the card get each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure they wanna make some profit but they are already multi millionaires and actually started the business for their love of mma not to just make profit and lose their best fighters cos of their greedy wallets!!!!!!!!!

Post #12   10/19/07 3:36:36PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

dana is not a monster , he is the reason why we are enjoying making picks here with alot of peoples, if ufc was not there, i can only imagine how many peoples would have been here to make there picks !!!

Mmmmmmmm yeah .............. pfft blatantly tho eh .............................. ahem ............................ of course some other human being on the planet could of done the job he has done .............. gosh maybe even better

As you may be able to tell im sick of hearing that kind of comment with no comprehension that dana doesnt possess the secret power of making the ufc popular, somebody else with a passion for mma and better business acument could of done it much better, ffs, oh but wow he came up with the idea for an mma reality show, that was original inspired genius if ever ive seen it!

Post #13   10/19/07 3:44:24PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,071-1,071
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by tuvok500

Mmmmmmmm yeah .............. pfft blatantly tho eh .............................. ahem ............................ of course some other human being on the planet could of done the job he has done .............. gosh maybe even better

As you may be able to tell im sick of hearing that kind of comment with no comprehension that dana doesnt possess the secret power of making the ufc popular, somebody else with a passion for mma and better business acument could of done it much better, ffs, oh but wow he came up with the idea for an mma reality show, that was original inspired genius if ever ive seen it!

alright, so, i will only say that he is not a monster !!!

amd maybe someone else would have been able to do a better job, but, we can say that to every sports and every team, even that the patriots would be a better team without bill belicheck but i doubt it !!!

Last edited 10/19/07 9:55PM server time by tuvok500

Post #14   10/19/07 4:03:09PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA
I agree we dont know the exact numbers or all the numbers but in your little math thing there you forgot to add in the profits of the ticket sales and merchandise which must add up to a fair bit! Where the hell did you pluck that 15% figure from? i very much doubt randy or even chuck were getting as much as that of the ppv sales profit!!! Its not mainly about Randy or the big name fighters tho! its the guys that fill the rest of the card and only get a few thousand that i feel sorry for and thinking should be paid alot more

I was not meaning that Chuck and Randy recieve 15% of the PPV cut, I was stating hypothetically that I don't see it as crazy if the cut of ALL fighters was 15% of the PPV distributed according to main event, undercards, etc.

If you want me to take a guess on what I think it is.... If Kevin Iole's report was right Randy Couture was receiving $3.25 - $3.75 million per fight. If his purse was $250,000 that leaves anywhere from $3 - $3.5 million per fight earned from bonuses & PPV. Let's just say that half was bonuses and half was PPV that would mean he hypothetically could have earned $1.5 million from PPV and $1.5 million from bonuses. That is roughly 9.4% of the UFC's cut from the PPV. I also imagine other fighters in fights that were broadcast received a portion of the PPV slice as well. So why would it be illogical to think that if Couture received 9.4% that the other fighters could have split another 5.6% of the PPV earnings?

Of course this is all based upon many factors. The key factor being whether Kevin Iole's report was accurate in saying that Couture earned that much per fight. Then there's the question of how much of the PPV the UFC gets, but I'm pretty certain the source that said 40% was pretty credible. Not to mention the fact that if Couture was making as much as Iole reported, I'm sure a bigger portion of those earnings came from PPV earnings rather than bonuses. I would assume that if Iole's figures are accurate Couture could have possibly made 15% from the PPV's alone, and the other fighters that were broadcast could have seen some of it as well. We all know that many of the fighters get a cut of the PPV earnings... why is 15% such an outrageous figure to you for Couture or Liddell to recieve?

Also, I highly doubt the ticket sales to the events are substantial enough to even compare to the PPV earnings. I could be wrong, but I can recall some tickets for a UFC event going from $50.00 to $450.00 each. On average I would assume they probably sell somewhere around 15,000-20,000 tickets per event.

Posted by CornishMMA
Yes, ok, yes, then after all that expenses and stuff taken away what do you honestly think Dana or the Fertitas make as pure profit per event? Im pretty damn sure its more than the $10,000 the vast majority of fighters on the card get each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure they wanna make some profit but they are already multi millionaires and actually started the business for their love of mma not to just make profit and lose their best fighters cos of their greedy wallets!!!!!!!!!

In all honesty I have no rightful idea. I can imagine that they probably make several million dollars per event. I'm just simply stating, before you can make a claim that the UFC must pay several millions of dollars per fight to their fighters, you should actually know the situation. I can't imagine how much fighters earn for sponsorships outside what the UFC pays them... sponsorships many of them would not have if they weren't fighting in the UFC. The UFC has every right to make millions of dollars. They give the fighters fame and opportunity... do you think Mr. Couture would be on the set of a movie production at this very moment had he not ever gotten the opportunity to fight in the UFC? Membership most always has it's benefits... any fighter in the UFC should consider the sponsorships they have BECAUSE they are fighting in the UFC as a benefit of being in the UFC. I know the UFC may not be paying them that directly, but it goes back to... without the UFC fighters the UFC would be nothing and without the UFC, the UFC fighters wouldn't be where they are today.

Post #15   10/19/07 4:16:30PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2