Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Teach me about American Football!

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
A lot of stuff I'm interested in has to do with americans and american culture and after hearing all this talk about Packers, Cowboys, Giants, and some Romo guy I decided to learn what the hell you're talking about.
So since I havn't got any channel that airs NFL I decided to download the most recent matches.
What I basically know about american football:
They earn a lot of money in the NFL.
Michael Vick should be shot.
A Touchdown is a good thing and doesn't only mean that you can take a dump in the toilette without making a sploosh.
The Quarterback gets all the ladies.
Terrel Owens is a pretty decent bowler.

What do I need to know when watching american football?

What are the rules?, How many points do I get for a TD? What are the other ways to score? When are they allowed to kick the ball and why?

Post #1   10/18/07 12:58:50PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,009-1,021
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
ok this is what i know

well, the best team is the PATRIOTS !!!!!!!

you have to be a PATRIOTS fans !!!!

if 2 game is at the same time, you have to watch the PATRIOTS game !!!!

the PATS are scoring touchdown witch give them 6 pts and you have to kick the ball between the 2 post to win another pts, or you can try to go in the endzone for 2 pts.

the best kicker is in the PATRIOTS team, and every times you are unable to score in 3 down, you can try a fieldgoal for 3 pts, same here , you have to kick the ball between the 2 post, but normally your are no very close.

the PATRIOTS are going to win the superbowl !!!

GO PATRIOTS !!!!! LOL

it seem very clear to me !!! LOL

Last edited 10/18/07 1:59PM server time by tuvok500
Edit note/reason: n/a
7 total post edits

Post #2   10/18/07 1:15:57PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
You can also score by Safety, which is tackling the ball carrier in their own end zone or if a player throws the ball out of the end zone to prevent a safety. It's worth 2 points. The real fun is in all the penalties, watching the refs do all these otherwise silly-looking gestures.

Alternately, you can just go to nfl.com and find out everything there.

Last edited 10/18/07 1:29PM server time by DCRage

Post #3   10/18/07 1:29:36PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:
Sadly, american football is to complex to understand through text. If would take days and days to explain just the rules and the why that go along with the each rule. If you can't watch it then its hard to grasp. One game would advance your understanding by lightyears. Its to bad that NFL Europe folded because I think football is a great game. The best way to learn is to watch a game with someone who knows and ask questions. I have been helping a guy from Korea learn the game and he loves it. I hear that a lot of Germans love American football. You can find one of them, learn some german and cheer for the Redskins.

Post #4   10/18/07 1:41:36PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

are you serious ????

well, i am pretty sure it is a joke but anyway !!

Not everybody lives in America bro!

Stickan, you are from Sweden, arent you man?

Let me know if you want to learn more, I have some great historical stuff I could upload for you.

Post #5   10/18/07 1:52:12PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by tuvok500

are you serious ????

well, i am pretty sure it is a joke but anyway !!

Not everybody lives in America bro!

Stickan, you are from Sweden, arent you man?

Let me know if you want to learn more, I have some great historical stuff I could upload for you.

i know man, i was joking, i am pretty sure that he will laugh like me when he will read my post, it is a 1 way patriots post !!!

do you really believe that he will get mad !!! ????

Post #6   10/18/07 1:57:44PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
well the american team is the cowboys

Post #7   10/18/07 2:13:19PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
Like the post above said, it's too hard to explain through text.
Touchdown = 6 points plus you get a PAT (point after touchdown) which is where the kicker tries to kick the ball through the uprights for 1 more point.
Field goals = 3 points: kicking the ball through the uprights
Safety = 2 points
There are 11 ppl from each team on the field.
11 on offense, 11 on defense.
the center "snaps" the ball to the quarterback
the Quarterback usually either throws to a reciever, running back or tailback, or he hands it off usually to the running back, sometimes to another eligible runner
Yet get 4 "downs" to try and get a "first down"
A "first down" is 10 yards
Usually, if you don't get a first down on three tries, you then punt the ball (kick it to the other team)
You need to buy a book on football. They probably make a book called "Football for Dummmies" or "The Idiots Guide to Football"
Don't pay attention to the name of these books, if they make them, they will explain the game very well.
Usually a person roots/supports a team that is close to where they live.
I like the Cincinatti Bengals (who are horrible this year). Each team usually has at least one or two "starts" (big-time players) The bengals have Chad Johnson (Ocho Cinqo), T.J. Houshmanzadeh, Carson Palmer, Rudy Johnson, and convict (oops, I mean Chris Henry)
The best team this year is by and far the New England Patriots, with the Indianapolis Colts probably being second.
The AFC is much better than the NFC (kind of like the AL in baseball is better than the NL, or the SEC is better than any other conference in college football)

If you start watching, and you learn all the rules, you'll fall in love with the game of football. I love pro and college football and try to go to at least one game a year. I go to the Bengals training camp every year and have met most of the players including all the stars- C.J., Palmer, T.J., Henry, Rudy, etc., including the cheerleaders). It's a great sport.........Enjoy

Last edited 10/18/07 2:51PM server time by Branwest
Edit note/reason: fixed spelling

Post #8   10/18/07 2:48:14PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Thanks for all the replies and yes I'm Swedish. That's why I know about as much about american football as most of you know about...let's say Sweden.
"uuh Abba...eh.. Ace of Base....IKEA... Peter Forsberg's from there right?... oh and you got polar bears as pets right?"

Thanks again all you guys. I'm watching the Cowboys - Patriots game right now and I'll get back to you if I wonder something.

btw. The endzone is where you score the touchdowns right? But if you tackle a guy in the endzone trying to score a touchdown you get 2 "safety" pts?
And if you score a touchdown you also get the chance to score a field goal? From what distance are these "bonus" kicks?

Post #9   10/18/07 3:09:57PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Thanks for all the replies and yes I'm Swedish. That's why I know about as much about american football as most of you know about...let's say Sweden.
"uuh Abba...eh.. Ace of Base....IKEA... Peter Forsberg's from there right?... oh and you got polar bears as pets right?"

Thanks again all you guys. I'm watching the Cowboys - Patriots game right now and I'll get back to you if I wonder something.

btw. The endzone is where you score the touchdowns right? But if you tackle a guy in the endzone trying to score a touchdown you get 2 "safety" pts?
And if you score a touchdown you also get the chance to score a field goal? From what distance are these "bonus" kicks?

well, if you tackle a guy in your endzone, well the guy is scoring a touchdown and he get 6 pts + the chance to score 1pts with a fieldgoal, or 2 pts win anothers entering in your endzone by a pass or a run.

so if a guy is crossing the plate of your endzone , he is scoring against you.

if you tackle a guy in his endzone, you get a safety so 2 pts and the other team have to kick the ball to your team and you will have your offence on the field again to try to score again.

Post #10   10/18/07 3:36:01PM   

babalu2720

In Full Mount

babalu2720 Avatar

Career:1,245-647
Chips:
Well as a Bruins fan I pay my respect to our longtime Swede P.J. Axellson and yes the Patriots are the shit

Post #11   10/18/07 3:38:36PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,259-1,266
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

How's Bjorn Borg these days? Just kidding.

If you get tackled in your "own" endzone it is a safety (the endzone you are moving away from).

The bonus kick after a touchdown is not really called a "field goal", but rather, an "extra point"

Post #12   10/18/07 4:53:00PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

GO PATRIOTS !!!!! LOL

Shouldn't you be cheering for the Alouettes in the CFL? lol

Last edited 10/18/07 4:55PM server time by Rush

Post #13   10/18/07 4:55:12PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by tuvok500

GO PATRIOTS !!!!! LOL

Shouldn't you be cheering for the Alouettes in the CFL? lol

LOL !!

well, the alouettes are in quebec but it is not even close to the NFL caliber, and also , i dislike the 3 down rule, it is almost a battle of kicker only and the field is so ridiculously big that the endzone is bigger than the parking i think !!!

i am not even looking at there game , i think this season they have big problem with the quarterback.

Post #14   10/18/07 5:04:41PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Hey don't watch baseball. It will bore you to frickin death. By the way, I love your cheese. Swiss Cheese ******* roxors my boxors.

Post #15   10/18/07 6:14:39PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3