Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sympathy for the Giant

Print  
Posted By Message

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
Giants are supposed to win. David knocks off Goliath, and it's a story for the ages. If it had gone the other way, it would have been chalked up to physics and forgotten.

And so goes life for Tim Sylvia (Pictures), the 6-foot-8 behemoth that can seemingly do no right in the eyes of many mixed martial arts fans.

"People throughout history love to cheer for the underdog," says Sylvia's manager, Monte Cox. "And they love the little guy to beat the big guy."

On Saturday the former UFC heavyweight champion will fight Brandon Vera (Pictures) -- one of the smallest fighters in the division -- at UFC 77 in a bout of suddenly incalculable importance. Because of last week's announcement that heavyweight champion Randy Couture (Pictures) is leaving the UFC, Saturday's winner will almost certainly get a title shot in early 2008 as well as a chance to reap a windfall as the UFC's new poster boy.

Regardless of the outcome, this much is certain: If Sylvia wins, fans will credit his size; if he loses, they will demean his skill.

"It's always been that way," Sylvia says, resigned. "I actually like it. It helps me and motivates me and puts me in the zone. I want to prove people wrong. I feel like I'm sticking it to The Man."

click here for full article

Post #1   10/18/07 6:02:59AM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Career:1,844-989
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The reason people don't like Tim Sylvia isn't because they like to cheer for the small guy it's because he acts like an arrogant jerk all the time. Every time you see a picture of him he's got and arrogant smirk on his face that makes you want to see him get his face smashed in.

Post #2   10/18/07 5:59:20PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I think people have more hate for him, because he reverted to that boring fighting style after he regained the championship... Basically he got lazy... If he goes on a KO streak (not saying that he will, but IF)... I bet people will get all up on his nuts again, stupid smirk or not...

Post #3   10/18/07 6:48:32PM