Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Give me bands

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Career:31-27
Camp: Keyboard Warriors of LMAOville
Chips:
My current playlist is mostly shit like Lamb of God, Megadeth, Trivium, Darkest Hour, Dropkick Murphys, Hatebreed, etc etc. Recommend me some shit.

Post #1   10/18/07 3:15:18AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i know a good psychologist

Post #2   10/18/07 4:13:39AM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Chips:

Posted by loller90278

i know a good psychologist

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You searched for a good psychologist [Index]
• Have questions? Find out how to ask questions and get answers. •
Jump to: navigation, search

For more information about searching Wikipedia, see Wikipedia:Searching.

No page with that title exists.

You can create this page or request it.

* See all pages within Wikipedia that link to this page.
* See all pages that begin with this prefix.

They must not exist

Post #3   10/18/07 4:41:47AM   

Rich78

MMA Regular

Rich78 Avatar

Career:148-108
Chips:
I haven't listened to metal for years, but from back in the day and going from your current tunes i'd recommend some Pantera, Sepultura, Slayer, Nailbomb, Machine Head, White Zombie, Anthrax.

Post #4   10/18/07 5:05:15AM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rich78

I haven't listened to metal for years, but from back in the day and going from your current tunes i'd recommend some Pantera, Sepultura, Slayer, Nailbomb, Machine Head, White Zombie, Anthrax.

Pantera, Sepultura, Anthrax and Slayer? Those bands sound familiar, where've I heard them before...oh yeah, I own every single one of their albums and guitar tablatures Seriously though, I'm looking for in-the-past-5-years stuff

Post #5   10/18/07 5:21:48AM   

fat2rak005

MMA Regular

fat2rak005 Avatar

Career:183-104
Chips:
if you like system of a down you should really check out Bad Acid Trip. http://www.myspace.com/badacidtrip2
i've been listening to strung out, circa survive, and coheed and cambria lately.

Post #6   10/18/07 5:28:47AM   

Rich78

MMA Regular

Rich78 Avatar

Career:148-108
Chips:

Posted by Djbb

Pantera, Sepultura, Anthrax and Slayer? Those bands sound familiar, where've I heard them before...oh yeah, I own every single one of their albums and guitar tablatures Seriously though, I'm looking for in-the-past-5-years stuff

Alright, easy tiger, I was just going from the bands you had listed.

Not a clue then mate, IMO metal stopped being much good circa '98. Either that or I just grew out of it*, but the only half decent band who I've heard recently and are 'slightly' in the same vain are the mighty MASTODON.

*I must be getting old, rather just kick back with some Floyd or King Crimson these days

Post #7   10/18/07 5:42:48AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
Listen to Mastodon.

To hell with death metal and all that crap, that aint heavy, its just some greasy haired guys turning the gain up to high and grunting away with a microphone.

Mastodon are about as heavy as it gets, not because they tune lower or have faster drums, but because they write massive, furious songs. They are the absolute daddies of the modern metal scene.

The albums worth hearing are;

Remission; If you only hear one Mastodon album make it this one. This was the band when they were younger and struggling to be heard in the music scene. Absolutely crushing, probably the most intense album I can name (as long as we aren't talking Jazz fusion). A perfect mix of fast sections, slow crushing riff, some awesome solos and a whole heap of atmosphere. Perhaps the best metal album ever.

Leviathan; a concept album about the book Moby Dick. The story is about inner turmoil, nihilism and a struggle against impossible odds, so its obviously the most metal book ever. The album is a classic aswell, though not as intense, the production and playing is slicker and crisper. A very stylish album, the songs are again, quality, and still filled with a very furious sound, but its not as intense as Remission, probably because they felt more comfortable after Remission established them. Still a fantastic album, but the least important of Mastodon's "big three".

Blood Mountain; a return to their roots for Mastodon, again a concept album, but the story is so bizarre and hard to decipher from the lyrics that the songs all work as standalone songs. More crushing riffs, much more crazy lead work than on Leviathan, Mastodon dont do long solos, but they do some amazing sounding leads just using odd note choices and timing. Loads of quality songs here, and some guest appearances by a few famous guys, Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone age is on one track, thankfully it still sounds like Mastodon and not QOTSA.

Absolutely top notch band. And before you ask, yes, I am partially named after them, because I do think they are ace, but I picked the name Mastodon for the same reason they did, because Mastodons are absolutely cool as anything, they were gargantuan beasts, and were, as such, really cool.

Post #8   10/18/07 7:15:21AM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
You sound like a metal guy, and I don't really listen to that. My faves are The Killers, Foo Fighters and Linkin Park. Don't know if that'll help, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Post #9   10/18/07 10:21:26AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Not recent, but often unknown: Sam Black Church, one of my favorite bands of the last 15 years.

Post #10   10/18/07 10:56:40AM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:

Posted by Djbb

My current playlist is mostly shit like Lamb of God, Megadeth, Trivium, Darkest Hour, Dropkick Murphys, Hatebreed, etc etc. Recommend me some shit.

I can tell you what not to listen to. A band called Dream Theater. They toured with Megadeth a couple years back and I went to a show in PA. It was a tour headlined by Megadeth and we had read that they picked all the bands, so we figured that we would like most of them. Dream Theater came out and sucked hard. They were like the co-headliner and had a lot of fans in the crowd. They had a big stage show. Aside from there music sucking they had one thing that made my want to hurt people. They had a guy playing keyboard and his keyboard was on a swivel so he could spin around and do stupid little kicks in the air and point at the crowd. I was just saying to my self this morning that it was possibly the gayest thing I have ever paid to see. I am glad I could shoe horn my rant in your topic. It feels good to vent. Megadeth was great. My brother and I basically wanted to fight with every Dream Theater fan in the crowd, but we are both pretty lazy so no fights broke out. We both did some heckling, but none of these types of fans were looking to start anything physical, trust me.

Post #11   10/18/07 11:19:08AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by szucconi

I can tell you what not to listen to. A band called Dream Theater. They toured with Megadeth a couple years back and I went to a show in PA. It was a tour headlined by Megadeth and we had read that they picked all the bands, so we figured that we would like most of them. Dream Theater came out and sucked hard. They were like the co-headliner and had a lot of fans in the crowd. They had a big stage show. Aside from there music sucking they had one thing that made my want to hurt people. They had a guy playing keyboard and his keyboard was on a swivel so he could spin around and do stupid little kicks in the air and point at the crowd. I was just saying to my self this morning that it was possibly the gayest thing I have ever paid to see. I am glad I could shoe horn my rant in your topic. It feels good to vent. Megadeth was great. My brother and I basically wanted to fight with every Dream Theater fan in the crowd, but we are both pretty lazy so no fights broke out. We both did some heckling, but none of these types of fans were looking to start anything physical, trust me.

That ain't cool man. You sound like the stereotypical drunk thrash metal fan. I know you aren't from other posts I've seen from you around here, but this snippet plays right into that stereotype, the kind of guy that makes metal gigs less enjoyable for guys like me, who just want to watch a band rock out without having some sweaty, drunken idiot try and grapple and "mosh" with me.

I can understand you not liking DT, I used to like them but I find them pretty boring now, I can understand how they might be too technical and musically complex for you to enjoy, a lot of people hate them because they don't write many straight forward rockers, but to say that you wanted to "fight" with their fans is a little extreme. Maybe you should have tried being friends with their fans instead, Dave Mustaine obviously liked DT enough to invite them on tour, I'm sure he wouldn't be so happy if he looked up from his guitar during "Tornado of souls" to see guys in Megadeth T shirts bullying DT fans just because the thrash boys didnt like DT's prog metal slant.

Post #12   10/18/07 12:57:57PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm guessing you probably have already listened to Fear Factory,but I would recommend them.

The Curse by Atreyu is pretty good,but everything else i've herd by them sounds weak.

Ilucifeiri by Danzig is pretty awesome.
Killswich engage is good.

Post #13   10/18/07 12:59:05PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

I can understand you not liking DT, I used to like them but I find them pretty boring now, I can understand how they might be too technical and musically complex for you to enjoy, a lot of people hate them because they don't write many straight forward rockers, but to say that you wanted to "fight" with their fans is a little extreme. Maybe you should have tried being friends with their fans instead, Dave Mustaine obviously liked DT enough to invite them on tour, I'm sure he wouldn't be so happy if he looked up from his guitar during "Tornado of souls" to see guys in Megadeth T shirts bullying DT fans just because the thrash boys didnt like DT's prog metal slant.

I am violent, but not dunken. I am not a fan of this "DT" band, but I am not really a metal fan either. I like pink floyd, zepplin, blind melon, RZA, and I have been known to listen to some metal standards. I only went to the show to keep an eye on my little brother, but I enjoyed Megadeth. Oh, and I don't mosh. I mostly sit in my chair. I could go on forever about what Dave Mustaine thinks and why he is always wrong, but I won't.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I want to fight everyone at one point or another. I hate most people and violence solves problems. I have never been in a knock down drag out fight or even punched anyone in the face (we had an unspoken rule that there was no hitting the face during our fights when I was younger) in anger.

Back to the topic at hand. Try the Misfits album called Walk Among Us. I loved that one and it seems to fit your tastes.

Last edited 10/18/07 1:29PM server time by szucconi
Edit note/reason: add more

Post #14   10/18/07 1:11:09PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,941-1,082
Chips:
I don't know if you recently heard of Dethklok but if you havent well get their shit now!!! now!!!

Post #15   10/18/07 2:38:34PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3