Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

BJ Penn in the LW division

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure BJ is moving down to LW. He and Pulver are coaching the lightweights on TUF 5 and it's not set in stone, but i'm assuming they will fight after the show. (a la Chuck with Randy and Tito with Shamrock) I'm also assuming Penn wouldn't mind avenging his loss to Pulver from back in 02. With Penn moving down to LW, do you think he can be stopped in that division? He has lost his last two matches, but they were against probably the best two WW's in the world, and imo he performed very well minus his cardio. The LW division in the UFC is looking pretty good and is growing quickly. However, I honestly can't think of one LW on the same level as BJ Penn. IMO, I think he will probably be the LW champ by the end of the year if he persues it and doesn't decide to move back up to WW. Your opinions?

Post #1   2/6/07 8:15:16PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
I heard somewhere that he is only moving down to LW for one fight with Pulver... the moving up to WW again to take on Matt Hughes and GSP. But i know forsure he is fighting Pulver at the TUF 5 final live for all of us to see

Post #2   2/6/07 8:19:02PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,400-860
Chips:
I hope he stays at LW. IMO the UFC LW division really needs to up the talent to even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Pride LW division. Either way, war BJ!

Post #3   2/6/07 8:21:18PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
i think Penn is better off in WW...i think he will dominate the LHW devision and is better for him...but us the fans need someone to challenge GSP

Post #4   2/6/07 8:28:56PM   

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Career:1,741-1,058
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
I'm not sure there is anyone in the 155 division right now who can stop Sean Sherk's takedowns outside of BJ Penn; I see BJ Penn going after the 155 title and health and cardio willing taking the title and then moving back up and trying to challenge the champion at 170.

Post #5   2/6/07 8:30:49PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Bj should stay at lighweight IMO, but he won't because he's crazy. He was on inside the UFC a while back and said he wanted to fight all the champs, even HVYweight. He's too concerned with proven he's a tough guy, and it's a shame. He's the only fighter I've ever seen mention how fighting should be like the caveman days multiple times in an interview. I think he would be the top lightweight in the world, and could be the top welterweight if he ever stayed at one and trained accordingly for it. Matt Hughes says some inflammatory things from time to time, but one I agree with was when he said Bj was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Sometimes people who are used to getting what they want all the time, seem to want what they don't have more than anything.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #6   2/6/07 8:40:53PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
i heard the winner of the Pulver v Penn fight gets a title shot, perhaps bj will get the LW title and then go back to welterweight.

Post #7   2/6/07 9:04:11PM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
he should stay at LW, the WW division is too stacked....of course, if he stays at LW then that division becomes far too deep for a lot of the fighters, as many of them are used to fighting at 145lbs and are small compared to sherk and bj, who fought with success at 170, and even florian

i think with BJ/Sherk in LW the ufc might have to think about a 145lb division....they really are missing out on some exciting fighters...i never miss a chance to watch KOTC on the fight network...the 145lb guys are amazing, and i have yet to see a boring fight in that class

i worry that if BJ and Sherk are both in the LW division that we will end up with the same situation we had in the LHW division up until rampage was added.....2 top tier fighters and a bunch of guys a level or two below them that never really challenge...the division would get boring at that point i think, with no real threat for the title outside of the same 2 or maybe 3 guys.

Post #8   2/6/07 11:09:47PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Bj should stay at lighweight IMO, but he won't because he's crazy. He was on inside the UFC a while back and said he wanted to fight all the champs, even HVYweight. He's too concerned with proven he's a tough guy, and it's a shame. He's the only fighter I've ever seen mention how fighting should be like the caveman days multiple times in an interview. I think he would be the top lightweight in the world, and could be the top welterweight if he ever stayed at one and trained accordingly for it. Matt Hughes says some inflammatory things from time to time, but one I agree with was when he said Bj was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Sometimes people who are used to getting what they want all the time, seem to want what they don't have more than anything.

what would a caveman do?

he is a little weird...BJ PENN vs CroCop coming soon..

Post #9   2/6/07 11:33:19PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by jmoooooo

i worry that if BJ and Sherk are both in the LW division that we will end up with the same situation we had in the LHW division up until rampage was added.....2 top tier fighters and a bunch of guys a level or two below them that never really challenge...the division would get boring at that point i think, with no real threat for the title outside of the same 2 or maybe 3 guys.

I think maybe that with BJ and Sherk in the division it will force the other fighters to step up and bring the A game. Fighting strong fighters makes you stronger. Even if you do get beatdown a few times. Also, IMO the LHW division isn't or wasn't full of b level fighters. It just has one of the most dominant fighters ever to hold the belt. Sure if someone upended him and took the belt that would be exciting and probably a great fight to watch. But Liddell has had his belt since '05, and he is doing what it takes to keep it. It's not the other fighters fault, it is solely him to blame!

Post #10   2/7/07 2:44:04AM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Well put. There is no doubt he is a different kind of person. One thing is for sure, he is a VERY talented fighter. I personally think that he is the only guy in the LW division (UFC anyway) that can challenge Sherk. His technical game is one of the best in MMA and I am always amazed at his flexability.

Sherk vs Penn would be a war! Bring it on!

Post #11   2/7/07 2:57:28AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Sherk v BJ -No doubt the best matchup possible IMO. I just hope if BJ wins he stays and defends the belt for a while.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #12   2/7/07 3:26:14AM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:
That's how I see it.

Post #13   2/7/07 3:50:03AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by shawneth

I heard somewhere that he is only moving down to LW for one fight with Pulver... the moving up to WW again to take on Matt Hughes and GSP. But i know forsure he is fighting Pulver at the TUF 5 final live for all of us to see

Thats what i heard also. Penn is the one guy that could possibly rule both divisions. Penn vs Sherk would be a good match up but i doubt we will see it. Unless Penn loses his next 5 fights in a row i doubt he will go to LW. I think he will do it to fight Jens the move back up to WW and begin his road to the title.

Post #14   2/7/07 6:43:11AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
I think he should stay at WW instead of wasting time in his career literally messing around going up and down through weights. At first it was something that you respected, but now he has proven that he can do it and perform with the best at any weight he wants, I'd like to see him concentrate properly on dominating a division.

It's been said he wants the one fight at LW with Pulver, I doubt it will be as close as the last fight was even if Pulver brings him A game. BJ has improved alot since his loss. If he goes back to WW he's up against a more stacked division. His BJJ is better than Sanchez, Hughes and GSP, his takedown defence is a hell of alot better than either guys also. He smashed GSP in the first round and bullied Hughes in the first too. Yet cardio seemed to be the problem and is this due to BJ not being at his natural weight? Maybe, probably.

BJ is a tough nut to crack, who knows what he will end up doing/fighting next. There are great fights for him at any division he chooses to fight, as I say it would be nice if he picked and stuck at one division or another.

Post #15   2/7/07 7:05:12AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2