Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Chuck no more

Print  
Posted By Message

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
I think chuck is going to lose to silva wich will make 3 in a row and will never get the belt back if he even gets a title shot again witch I doubt..........Its to bad I like Chuck.

Post #1   10/16/07 2:09:52AM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
Don't count him out yet. A fight against Wanderlei might just be the motivation he needs to get back on track. He's like 25 in Randy Couture years. Win or lose, I think we will see the Chuck we no and love, come out to fight. It is possible that Wandi will be the better fighter on the day, he is after all as much a ledgend of the sport as chuck, but if chuck can get his fire back, we should see some fireworks. He wasn't THAT bad in the Jardine loss, we gotta give some credit to Jardine, who proved he can really take a punch. I personally thought Chuck won that fight, but it was very close, and I can't really argue the final decision. But lets face it, he was probably looking past this fight, because he wanted to fight Wanderlei. Well guess what, now he gets to anyway, and he has his back to the fence. Do you really want to bet against a cornered Chuck Liddel, fighting for his Career? Thats the million dollar question. You know Chuck will be desperate, but is Wanderlei just too good? He doesn't want to lose in his UFC debut like his boi Shogun, and a loss means 2 in a row for him as well, But I think Chuck has more to lose with this fight, and will be that much more dangerous for it.

Post #2   10/16/07 3:08:49AM   

Scott_Revels

Banned

Career:376-170
Chips:
I don't think Chuck will win again until he faces a lesser talented fighter.

Post #3   10/16/07 3:10:32AM   

EddieBowers

MMA Regular

EddieBowers Avatar

Career:126-96
Camp: TX Ground and Pound
Chips:

Posted by ocho-cinco

Don't count him out yet. A fight against Wanderlei might just be the motivation he needs to get back on track. He's like 25 in Randy Couture years. Win or lose, I think we will see the Chuck we no and love, come out to fight. It is possible that Wandi will be the better fighter on the day, he is after all as much a ledgend of the sport as chuck, but if chuck can get his fire back, we should see some fireworks. He wasn't THAT bad in the Jardine loss, we gotta give some credit to Jardine, who proved he can really take a punch. I personally thought Chuck won that fight, but it was very close, and I can't really argue the final decision. But lets face it, he was probably looking past this fight, because he wanted to fight Wanderlei. Well guess what, now he gets to anyway, and he has his back to the fence. Do you really want to bet against a cornered Chuck Liddel, fighting for his Career? Thats the million dollar question. You know Chuck will be desperate, but is Wanderlei just too good? He doesn't want to lose in his UFC debut like his boi Shogun, and a loss means 2 in a row for him as well, But I think Chuck has more to lose with this fight, and will be that much more dangerous for it.

100%

Post #4   10/16/07 9:28:38AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
I actually think Wanderlei is going to go on a tear in the UFC. I don't know why, call it Zen thinking, but Silva's fate remains in starting a war with Rampage Jackson to try to beat him for the third time. I think that's a matchup the UFC is desperately wanting to see as well.

Post #5   10/16/07 9:33:14AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by ocho-cinco

It would actualy be 3 losses in a row for Wandy. But as for seeing the Chuck we all know and love I don't think we have seen any less, He is still the same guy that carries a little beer gut, carries his hands way too low, and will not throw kicks anymore. Its kinda like once he koed Babbalu with that head kick he has forgotten that he still has legs. I just think that Chuck may have been hand feed his fights. Thats not his fault he beat who ever they put infront of him but his striking is not as dominate as the UFC made it out to be.

Post #6   10/16/07 10:23:01AM   

fat2rak005

MMA Regular

fat2rak005 Avatar

Career:183-104
Chips:
thats gonna suck if this fight is over in 45 seconds in the first round haha. .for some reason, i have a feeling this fight will end anti-climatically. but im still excited for it.

Post #7   10/19/07 2:51:18AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,961-1,087
Chips:

Posted by fat2rak005

thats gonna suck if this fight is over in 45 seconds in the first round haha. .for some reason, i have a feeling this fight will end anti-climatically. but im still excited for it.

Sadly I completely have the same feeling

Post #8   10/19/07 8:24:27AM   

atlas777

Standup Guy

atlas777 Avatar

Career:577-375
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
I believe chuck has more to lose than wandi but they both have alot ot lose coming of back to back losses, i think chuck still has a few good fights in him but not many he is getting older and speed, and reflexes are the first thing to go with age and chucks style is all about those two things wandi has alot to lose and alot to prove in this fight becuase as with many of the pride fighters they brought over and spent alot of money on these fighters who may be putting on a good show but they arent winning( Heath Herring, Mirko, Shogun, Dan Henderson) I think wandi has alot to prove as does chuck, if chuck losses again im sure he will retire if he wins he will have a couple but not many more fights in him, either way i think this will be an exciting fight becuase both of these guys always come to fight. If wandi wins i hope the ufc doesnt give him an immediate title shot becuase even though he is a legend and he was a top pride guy he still had 2 losses in a row and there are other guys in the ufc that have been looking for a shot at that belt for a long time.

Post #9   10/19/07 9:36:15AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
Man, the bandwagon jumping gets OLD quick. How can you say you "like Chuck", "Are a fan of Chuck", etc... if you count him out because he lost two fights in a row.

Other fighters who have lost two in a row:

Randy Couture (He's lost 2 in a row... TWICE!! Then again, one of those streaks included a cheating Barnett. Many people considered him the #1 HW in the world prior to his resignation)
Matt Hughes (Then won the next 13 of his fights)
Tito Ortiz (Then won the next 5 fights)
Dan Severn (Lost 2 in a row... TWICE!! Then won at least 5 fights after each)
Dan Henderson (Then went on to take TWO belts in Pride)

I could name fighters who have lost two in a row all day long, but you get the idea. Just because Chuck has lost 2 in a row doesn't mean jack sh** as far as whether he is finished or not. Not to mention the fact that Wandy has lost twice as well. Why should the 2 losses affect Chuck more than they affect Wandy?

Post #10   10/19/07 9:45:38AM   

atlas777

Standup Guy

atlas777 Avatar

Career:577-375
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
Chuck is 37 years old he is not a young fighter anymore, his style is not like randy's randy relies on his strength and power and technique these things stay with you as you get older chucks reflexes and speed will be the first things to go and lets face it thats what his style is, he likes to be a counter puncher which heavily relies on speed and reflexes, i am in no way counting chuck out i have him picked to win in the third round but he is getting old he said it himself. He is not randy couture, only randy is randy he is the god of mma and always will be randy's style lends itself well to old age. I would never count chuck liddell out of a fight becuase he is one of my favorites but a guy with three consecutive losses in the ufc have retired when they got older, or went to a different organization. Pride and the ufc were much different the ufc doest keep guys around who keep losing but pride didnt seem to care how many times you lost they wouldnt mind letting you fight dana white isnt like that so having a run after 2 losses in pride is much different than having a run after 2 losses in the ufc becuase alot of guys dont get another chance

Post #11   10/19/07 10:00:05AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by atlas777

Chuck is 37 years old he is not a young fighter anymore, his style is not like randy's randy relies on his strength and power and technique these things stay with you as you get older chucks reflexes and speed will be the first things to go and lets face it thats what his style is, he likes to be a counter puncher which heavily relies on speed and reflexes

I honestly don't understand why people bring up the fact that he's 37. Yes he is 37, but guess what else... he was 37 when he still had a 7 fight win streak. I can understand age will begin to play a role in his game before long if he doesn't change it... but that doesn't mean you just wake up one day and all of the sudden you're old and can't dodge punches. His loss against Jackson could happen to any fighter against any other fighter. The guy got caught by a big shot and went down. GSP is 26 years old and that happened to him. His fight with Jardine had nothing to do with anything other than Jardine had a great game plan that beat him.

I definitely see Chuck Liddell coming back into this fight with some hunger. I'm sure he knows if he loses 3 straight there's a good possibility that his career in the UFC could be over irregardless of what he chooses to do. Not saying I necessarily think Dana would just drop him no questions asked... but if it was another first round KO, or just a complete domination I'm sure it would be brought up. So I highly doubt it will be the same Chuck from UFC 76. We'll just have to wait and see (Even though there will probably be 54,876 more threads posted like this before the fight).

Post #12   10/19/07 3:30:37PM   

fat2rak005

MMA Regular

fat2rak005 Avatar

Career:183-104
Chips:
you cant completely count anyone out in mma. everyone always has the 1% chance to win. thats what sucks and whats great about this sport.

Post #13   10/19/07 3:35:24PM   

duniek1

Banned

Career:183-123
Chips:
Well if Chuck is going to be counting on a ko punch, then he will suffer a 3rd loss i think.

Last edited 10/19/07 8:11PM server time by duniek1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   10/19/07 8:10:09PM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
with the all these great fighters in the ufc now...................Ya hes done

Post #15   10/21/07 2:18:53AM