Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Frank Shamrock on Couture Quitting

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
In a recent online interview, Frank Shamrock offered his comments on Randy Couture's leaving UFC last week.

Article

Almost hard to believe Frank actually called it.

Post #1   10/15/07 11:34:04AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Frank hits it dead on...

Dana was promoting the UFC not the talent..the only talent he has ever promoted were Chuck & Tito. There both too one deminsional for the sport now so they will lose most of there next fights...

Randy deserves better....

Post #2   10/15/07 11:58:47AM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
Dana was promoting the UFC and not the talent. However, I don't see how you (Natedawg) can talk bad about Liddell and good about Randy when Chuck beat him 2 out of 3 times. Chuck strength is obviously his standup but he also has a great spawl to prevent takedowns. I think Chuck deserves more credit for what he has done over the past couple of years before his losses to Quentin and Jardine.
Randy does deserve better. He deserves more respect AND more money. Randy has tons of heart which has helped him succeed over the years, not to mention his talent. He is a great person outside of the cage. I agree though, at 44 years of age, his only logical next step is fighting Fedor. Fedor signed with another org, so he has no reason to stay. He also can't sign with another org, possibly M-1 to fight Fedor, because he's still under contract with the UFC. Any halfway smart business person will have a non-compete clause in their contracts. And of coarse, Dana makes sure of that. Until that contract is up, Randy can't even think about fighting, unless it's in the UFC.
If Dana (and the Fertittas) doesn't start paying the fighters what they deserve, many will leave. The UFC, for a while there, was looking like the NFL of MMA. All the best football players want to make it in the NFL. The same goes with MMArtists, especially after UFC's acquisition of Pride. The best talent was, and still is, in the UFC, therefore, most fighters want to make it there and prove that they can beat the best. However, this is probably going to change. Randy leaving sends a message. I know he's 44 and would probably be leaving anyway, but still, his comments are true, and many fighters respect him and will believe him.

Post #3   10/15/07 12:09:49PM   

EvilScott

MMA Regular

EvilScott Avatar

Career:681-409
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Nobody knows more about self-promotion than Frank Shamrock - he must see himself in Dana.

That said, I don't believe a word that comes out of Shamrock's mouth - he is just trying to cash in on this big news and get some spotlight on himself.

Post #4   10/15/07 12:21:25PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,961-999
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by EvilScott

Nobody knows more about self-promotion than Frank Shamrock - he must see himself in Dana.

That said, I don't believe a word that comes out of Shamrock's mouth - he is just trying to cash in on this big news and get some spotlight on himself.

Post #5   10/15/07 12:45:57PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
fighters and movie stars..

One of the allures for me about mma was the fighter's mentality. That whole mindset about fcuk the money and fame, i just wanna fight, i dont care who i fight, just put me in the cage and let me do my thing. Win or lose, the happiest times of their lives are the 15-25 minutes they get to spend in the cage every few months. Its the whole idea of all i wanna do, is do what i love.

Nowadays.. fighters dont wanna fight, fighters wanna get paid. I love rampage, i think he's dangerous, hilarious and definately a little twisted, but if another organization trippled his pay to go up a couple weightclasses and fight fat chicks he'd probably do it. Tito has always been about maxing out the $ in his contracts and god knows how many fighters have skipped on the ufc for a bigger payday elsewhere. And now randy among other things, thinks he's being paid unfairly and will make more money acting. If he thought that contract was so unfair and that he'd make more money making mummy films with the rock then why sign a 4 fight contract in the first place?

What happened to doing what you love because its what you love? I think i'm pretty accurate in saying that any recognizable fighter under contract with the ufc is living a very comfortable lifestyle, as in 6 figures and up. Nice house, nice car, nice neighbourhood, sick gym membership, your on tv, you got fans, and you're competing against the best in the world in sport you love. I hope i'm not alone here.. but i'd say thats a damn good life, and you should be grateful that you're not still fighting afterhours at the bar after a long day's work at the meat packing plant.

With that said, and i hate to make this post any longer.. maybe dana does need to look closely at how the fighters are being paid, maybe couture is a martyr for the wages of today's fighters, and changes for the better will ensue. BUT, the last thing that i wanna see in the ufc is a fighter who spends more time in contract negotiations than in the cage, and more time thinking about how to get the best payday, than trying to be the best fighter he can be.

Post #6   10/15/07 2:06:57PM   

Shawn17

MMA Regular

Shawn17 Avatar

Career:733-483
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Frank Shamrock may be about self-promotion but he knows whats hes talking about. Him and tito have hated dana white for a while now for the same reasons that couture retired. he underpays his fighters and uses them, couture leaving just proves that shamrock has been right for years.

Post #7   10/15/07 2:09:28PM   

MeanGreene

Banned

Career:167-99
Chips:
Way off topic but,

Anybody ever figure out what the big spat Dana and Chuck had befor the Jardine fight was all about!?

Post #8   10/15/07 2:36:55PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by Branwest

Dana was promoting the UFC and not the talent. However, I don't see how you (Natedawg) can talk bad about Liddell and good about Randy when Chuck beat him 2 out of 3 times. Chuck strength is obviously his standup but he also has a great spawl to prevent takedowns. I think Chuck deserves more credit for what he has done over the past couple of years before his losses to Quentin and Jardine.

I honestly think Randy would have beat chuck 6 or 7 out of 10 times approx. Everybody knows a huge part of fighting is mental and Randy wasn't all there mentally for that last fight. I would have love to see them fight again before Chuck lost two in a row but i'd still love to see them fight again. I'm a fan of both fighters but I've always thought Randy was more well rounded. It wasn't like Chuck changed his game plan from fight one to fight two. Randy outstruck in the first fight. Everybody will assume Chuck is better because he beat Randy twice but i personally wish they would have fought again after the divorce was finalized and he was on the other side of all that personal stuff.

I agree with pretty much everything you said inlcuding the chuck stuff. I mean as of right now and probably for the rest of history Chuck has 2 more recent wins over Randy.

Post #9   10/15/07 5:18:18PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Frank Shamrock is the most arrogant and self centered person in the MMA game i would take anything he tells me with a grain of salt..... but in this case i hate to admitt it but he is probably right!!!!!

Post #10   10/15/07 7:08:35PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
OK so if Fedor signed with the UFC Randy would still be fighting for the same amount of money as he made in his last 2 fights.So why all of a sudden the i wasn't getting respect/money i deserve thing comes around.He'd still be the champ and in the UFC if Fedor was on his way over but that didnt happen.

Post #11   10/15/07 11:08:33PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Since the Pride purchase it's been a whole lot of Egos battling to make more money. I think they need to pay the fighters based on their individual rankings. Champ, then all the top 5 guys, then all the top 10 guys, then the rest. Include the usual bonuses for Sub, KO, and Fight of the night and it would solve a lot fo this bruised ego bs!!!! A slice of the PPV pie wouldn't hurt either!!

Post #12   10/15/07 11:15:45PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dana white better start paying the fighters better, and not just the stars. All of them. He risks loosing everything he has built because he's too cheap. At the same time I think it is sad that guys like Fedor and Randy are reduced to arguing contracts like a bunch of stuck up over paid actors. It wasn't as if Randy felt that he wasn't getting enough to fufill his wants, he just wanted more because he was the champion.

Post #13   10/16/07 12:00:19AM   

Lethal

MMA Regular

Lethal Avatar

Career:165-104
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:
I agree that ALL the fighters should be getting paid more. I guess I'm one of the few to argue that Fedor and Randy are not asking to too much money, and I actually think both of them should be getting paid in the millions (at least randy should holding the UFC title). Every fighter runs the risk of being on their last fight (most commen ex. injury) so they should not have to worry about supporting the family outsie of fighting.
I don't remember the exact wage of Sean Sherk, but for being a champion, one of the best in the world, he was making barely livable wages. I think people in the old UFC were happy with their wages because it did not require as much gym time, multiple discipline training, and mental endurance as it takes for today's athletes and it was more of that "brawl for respect" type of mentality. Now UFC fighters are world-class elitist and the average fighter spends 4-6 hours training, if not more. Fighting has become their lifestyle, not just a hobby on the side, so they no longer have time for outside jobs, at least if they plan to become a champion.

Post #14   10/16/07 12:57:56AM   

punisher

Learning to Sprawl

Career:97-78
Camp: team punishement
Chips:
chuck is a ncaa wrestler division 1, he is a better wreslter than tito,matt hughes,matt hamill and many more

Post #15   10/16/07 1:02:18AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2