Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Could/would/should the UFC hold a Grand Prix tournament?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by strikefirstgear

Could they? Sure
Should they ? IMO they shouldn't mess with what is working for them.
Would they? I dont think they would unless it was a necesary thing to grow the business (ie: should UFC ever need to cross promote with Pride).

My guess is that Dana really wants to continue to be identified with the "standard" of what this MMA sport is. The way to do that is to keep the format the same and just continue to improve the execution. Nascar didn't get where they are by injecting different formats into the racing.

Good point. On the other hand, a tournament would make more "title belts" for the organization, which I think is something the casual fan can easily understand and appreciate. It's also possible that the best fighters would want to pursue the "real" title belts instead of participating in a tournament, which might defeat the whole purpose.

Absolutely a valid point. One thing about that kind of tournament (one over several months like you said) is that the natural progression of who was to fight who would be laid out. This would take control away from Zuffa as to matchmaking. I can't see them giving up control of anything.

Also I think one of the fun parts of this sport is speculating who is going to fight who in upcoming events (look at how many threads there are about it) If you had the tournament laid out it would be a different animal. Not saying it would be worse just different. I think the fans like the infinite possibilities of the UFC bringing in new fighters or giving beaten fighters (Forrest) a second chance where they could not in a tournament setting.

Post #16   2/7/07 11:50:28AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Not entirely. Naturally, the eliminated fighters would be... well... eliminated, but I don't know if PRIDE lays out a bracket for their tourneys, I think they set up the matches with each round. At least, if they make a bracket at the beginning, they don't make it public, they announce the upcoming matches after each round is complete. Maybe UFC fans would call B.S. if the matchups were "fixed" like that, I dunno.

Post #17   2/7/07 1:28:49PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I assumed that pv3Hpv3p was talking about medical suspensions issued after fights, which can sometimes last weeks or months at a time.

That was what I was referring to..

I was just thinking of the current Pride format, when they have the early fights seperated into diferent events, and then the semi- and finals on the same night.

I guess they wouldn't have to go with this format, but it is kind of what makes the tournament, IMO...

Otherwise you basically have guys fighting for top contention of a annually vacant belt, as appose to becoming #1 contender to an existing champ. So in essence you are just changing the name, adding a belt, and taking match-making decisions out of it...

Post #18   2/7/07 1:51:42PM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Not entirely. Naturally, the eliminated fighters would be... well... eliminated, but I don't know if PRIDE lays out a bracket for their tourneys, I think they set up the matches with each round. At least, if they make a bracket at the beginning, they don't make it public, they announce the upcoming matches after each round is complete. Maybe UFC fans would call B.S. if the matchups were "fixed" like that, I dunno.

I guess what I mean is that with the bracketed approach (even private) on a single elimination tournament it rules out alot of future match ups. Part of the allure of the UFC is that they do things like Tito vs Forrest 2 or bring back fighters that maybe didn't stack up well against one fighter and lost to fight another because it is an interesting fight.

They are good about the "fans wanted this fight to happen so here it is" even if that means bringing back a fighter who loses alot (Shamrock, Bonner, Eastman).

Maybe the tournament idea would be a fun exercise for the UFC to mix it up but I can't see that happening for many years to come. Right now they are trying to establish the UFC format as the sport standard.

Just my thoughts.

Post #19   2/7/07 4:13:31PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
thats how they should have decided light weight instead of sean vs kenny.
we all love tournys, so im all for it lets start with the heavy weights
seed them and fight them. i agree that many factors come into play. but luck is a factor in all great sporting events and the champions overcome bad luck ,the most difficult path to win. the ufc may be a more sucessful business than pride but pride is always putting on the best possible show for the fans.

Last edited 2/7/07 5:21PM server time by jocksmall
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   2/7/07 5:15:39PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Very good point... It would have been an excellent way to decide the 155 champ

Post #21   2/7/07 6:28:15PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2