Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Reflections of a Legend: Couture's Top 10

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If Randy Couture never fights in the UFC again, I'm fairly certain that the fight world would forgive him.

Couture is without question one of the greatest fighters to ever step foot into a cage or a ring, a man revered for his unfathomable victories when everything was stacked against him.

Link

Post #1   10/12/07 5:15:51PM   

brutalbones

MMA Regular

brutalbones Avatar

Career:1,285-854
Camp: UHF Supplies
Chips:
Randy Couture, you will be deeply missed.

*Legends never die*

Post #2   10/12/07 5:25:49PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:
He's not done yet my friend, he resigned he didn't retire. I hope he does follow Fedor and I can't wait to see where that fight ends up on his top 10 performances.

That was a great tribute to probably the greatest fighter of all time, "the natural" Randy Couture.

Post #3   10/12/07 5:28:22PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by roman

That was a great tribute to probably the greatest fighter of all time, "the natural" Randy Couture.

I am as big a fan of Randys as the next guy but you do relize he is 16-8 hardly the record of the greatest of all time

Post #4   10/12/07 5:38:45PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I really do have mixed feelings about him right now.. last week i would've had him on my top5 favourite fighters of all time, easily. I'll always be a fan of randy the fighter, but this is randy the movie star thats bailing on his fans, and the organization through which he became the icon that he is.

War Couture '97 - '07

Post #5   10/12/07 5:40:13PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:

Posted by postman

I am as big a fan of Randys as the next guy but you do relize he is 16-8 hardly the record of the greatest of all time

Look at the people he's lost to, and look at the people he's beat. Look at how many fights of his were title bouts. Look at the fact that he's held titles at two different weight classes. Look at the fact that he retook his title at age 43. Look at the fact that he grew this sport from its infancy. Look at the fact that almost every fighter comming out of his gym is on a winning streak. Nobody in the world of mma can say that. Give fedor some time and he might get there.. but right now, couture is on a tier of his own.

Post #6   10/12/07 5:49:54PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by roman

Records aren't everything...also you have to realize that 15 of his 24 , as well as 11 of his last 12 matches were title fights...in fact he's only fought 3 times in the Octagon that were non title fights. How many people can say that?

Post #7   10/12/07 5:51:46PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by roman

Not many other fighters consistently went up against the top fighters like Randy did.

Post #8   10/12/07 5:52:28PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

Posted by roman

Records aren't everything...also you have to realize that 15 of his 24 , as well as 11 of his last 12 matches were title fights...in fact he's only fought 3 times in the Octagon that were non title fights. How many people can say that?

Matt Hughes comes to mind while he has had 5 non title fights in the UFC 2 he was the Champ for ( Riggs & Gracie) he has only lost one nontitle fight in the cage ( his first UFC fight) He won the title in 01 and defened it 5 times then lost to BJ then Quickly got it back and defened it 3 times plus the 2 non title wins before losing to GSP. He now is going to fight for the title one more time all the while having a record of i think 41-5.

Oh yeah then theres that Wandy guy who held the MW pride title for 7 years.

As badly as everyone has jumped off the Chuck bandwagon you would think ppl would be saying "Yeah hes a good fighter but I mean he lost to Chuck twice and Chuck lost to Jardine."

Like I said I really like Randy and have never wanted to see him lose, always choose him to win. I was at 68 when he won the title but IMO hes not the Greatest of all time. To be fair, I'm not sure who I would give that to right now.

Post #9   10/12/07 6:15:44PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

Posted by roman

Matt Hughes comes to mind while he has had 5 non title fights in the UFC 2 he was the Champ for ( Riggs & Gracie) he has only lost one nontitle fight in the cage ( his first UFC fight) He won the title in 01 and defened it 5 times then lost to BJ then Quickly got it back and defened it 3 times plus the 2 non title wins before losing to GSP. He now is going to fight for the title one more time all the while having a record of i think 41-5.

As badly as everyone has jumped off the Chuck bandwagon you would think ppl would be saying "Yeah hes a good fighter but I mean he lost to Chuck twice and Chuck lost to Jardine."

Like I said I really like Randy and have never wanted to see him lose, always choose him to win. I was at 68 when he won the title but IMO hes not the Greatest of all time. To be fair, I'm not sure who I would give that to right now.

Chuck's reign is ending due to his losing a step, not because he was some how overrated as you are suggesting. It's not like he never faced a good striker before. He just hadn't faced a good striker in the UFC for a long time.

Post #10   10/12/07 6:21:22PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
Best there is Best there was Best there ever will be

Post #11   10/12/07 6:32:45PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:
Chuck hasn't faced a good striker in the UFC till now. People jump ship from fighter to fighter all the time.

Post #12   10/12/07 6:35:55PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by loonytnt

Best there is Best there was Best there ever will be

You mean Brett Hart?

Post #13   10/12/07 6:37:05PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

OK, so there are hundreds of fighters and you came up with 2 names. While Hughes has a very impressive record, he doesn't have well over 50% of his matches as title fights in a top org...so that's where there isn't a comparison. Hughes has dozens of fights in other orgs. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that, but it's still not the same. Also, I'm not sure why you are introducing MMA math into this conversation, as it's not reliable. For example...Vitor detroyed Wandy; Tito beat Wandy; Couture crushed both Vitor and Tito. You have to remember that styles make matches.

Post #14   10/12/07 6:38:12PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Couture is what a true warriror is made of.Time after time he has proven why we can never count him out of a fight.He has the spirit of a true fighter.Randy Couture is a symbol of what the fighter is all about.Continueing on even when it seems as if you are at the end.I don't think very many other fighters are at Coutures caliber.Right when the UFC is bathing in it's limelight,the man who is their heavy weight champion walks away.We can attribute this to several reasons.But I like to think mostly on the fact that he walked away because the fight of his career wasn't their.

I hope Randy goes after this fight!

Post #15   10/12/07 6:39:28PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2