Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Will Women ever fight in the UFC?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by We_Todd_Did

Posted by jmoooooo

i would watch only if they werent hot gimmicks and nothing else

i pay to watch fights, with high caliber fighters, and thats it

if i want to see hot chicks there are far better places than a fight.......

QFT

Exactly how I feel.People don't dig Cro Cop or Fedor cuz they're "pretty".They like 'em cuz they're great at what they do.I'd expect nothing less from female competition.Unfortunately (and not intending to be sexist at all), women will NEVER put on as good a show in this sport as their male counterparts.It's like the WNBA but with extra guilt.

edit:in response to the post above mine,a phenom like Leila Ali in boxing is quite commendable and worthy of respect and admiration.But after a while it's just them kicking the shit out of inferior athletes.

i disagree, if a major organization starts sanctioning female fights, this will inspire other females to start doin mma.. i saw a great female fight at bodog: russia vs america, it was much more entertaining than all the other male fights. im all for female fighting, if they have the skills, why not ? and dont say that in males theres no such thing as "kicking the shit out of inferior athletes".. remember 3 days ago, crocop vs sanchez?

Post #16   2/7/07 1:06:43AM   

We_Todd_Did

Standup Guy

We_Todd_Did Avatar

Career:205-129
Chips:

i disagree, if a major organization starts sanctioning female fights, this will inspire other females to start doin mma.. i saw a great female fight at bodog: russia vs america, it was much more entertaining than all the other male fights. im all for female fighting, if they have the skills, why not ? and dont say that in males theres no such thing as "kicking the shit out of inferior athletes".. remember 3 days ago, crocop vs sanchez?

I do agree with where you're coming from.I'm all for anything which would encourage greater talent to come out of the woodwork and compete on a world stage.

Perhaps I misrepresented my point in a way.I think that the fight that you saw,even if more women did come along to compete,would be more the exception than the rule.

Look at how the HW divisions,both in the UFC up until recently and, to a somewhat lesser extent, in pro boxing, have long periods of time where competetive matches just aren't there and the divisions are dictated by one or a few good fighters owning on a lackluster talent field.If it's that hard to find good matchups of guys over 220 lbs,I see it being even moreso with women fighting.

Sure,some great athletes will come along from time to time,but it will be uncommon on a large enough scale to regularly have great matchups.I,for one,like competetive matchups,and gross mismatches such as CroCop v. Sanchez do nothing for me,nor did I mean to imply that such a thing was exclusive to women competetors.But that's not how every Cro Cop fight goes; it IS, however, how pretty much every fight with Leila Ali is.I just think that if you're out to see the best matchups and fighters, it wouldn't involve those with female fighters, and to say otherwise would imply that difference in gender has nothing to do with the appeal.If the fighters in question were just a league of guys with less skill,power,and athletecism, this wouldn't even be up for debate IMO.

Post #17   2/7/07 2:58:29AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
The point is that Guys generally dont like the idea of Girls who can KTFO them.
I personally don't have a problem with it. I love dating girls who can kick ass.
But there is one major problem. How many quality female fighters are there out there? Gina, Kelly Kobald. I cant think i any really awesome women fighters off of the top of my head. Theres the problem.

Post #18   2/7/07 9:39:55AM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:

Posted by madmarck

I personally don't have a problem with it. I love dating girls who can kick ass.
But there is one major problem. How many quality female fighters are there out there? Gina, Kelly Kobald. I cant think i any really awesome women fighters off of the top of my head. Theres the problem.

Rosi Sexton is probably the best female pound for pound fighter in the UK. Her fights are great to watch as are a lot of other female fights I don't see why they shouldn't be added to the UFC cards as a lot of the time their fights can be more interesting than the guys fights. I can understand why some people may not like what these fights look like (HW females could look scarey) but you have to respect that people should be allowed to follow their dreams (Sounds so cliche but couldn't think of any other way to put it) A good fighter is a good fighter, male or not and Dana White said he would get the best P4P fighters in the world so by leaving out females he isn't doing that.

Post #19   2/7/07 12:55:49PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by D-Boy

Posted by madmarck

Rosi Sexton is probably the best female pound for pound fighter in the UK. Her fights are great to watch as are a lot of other female fights I don't see why they shouldn't be added to the UFC cards as a lot of the time their fights can be more interesting than the guys fights. I can understand why some people may not like what these fights look like (HW females could look scarey) but you have to respect that people should be allowed to follow their dreams (Sounds so cliche but couldn't think of any other way to put it) A good fighter is a good fighter, male or not and Dana White said he would get the best P4P fighters in the world so by leaving out females he isn't doing that.

You see Dana wants to make $$. And although he could prob sign women for next to nothing (he does it to men now and since men get paid more than women) most men dont want to watch chicks fight. Dana needs fighters that are entertaining. Right now women arent. What are the ratings of the WNBA (does it still exisit?) compared to the NBA. There arent even many proffesional womens sports leagues that are highly watched.

Post #20   2/7/07 1:15:09PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,479-920
Chips:
I'd rather not watch women fight... I'm sure that there are very talented female martial artists out there and that's cool, but I think it would wind up like the WNBA vs NBA. The women basketball players are actually really good, just not as much of a draw as the physically stronger men and for some reason just not as exciting for me. Hope that doesn't come off as sounding sexist or anything

Post #21   2/7/07 1:34:34PM   

sigmundfreud

Learning to Sprawl

sigmundfreud Avatar

Career:62-30
Camp: Tapper
Chips:
don't see it happen in the ufc but i'm sure Pride is going to have some fights on their cards pretty soon. G-shooto and Smackgirl have tons of talented fighters.

Post #22   2/7/07 4:56:27PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
"Fatal Femmes Fighting," an all women's mixed martial arts show, launches Feb. 17 at the Japan America Theater in Los Angeles. The show is being promoted by Eddy Millis, the co-promoter of Valor Fighting.

Fight Card
Lisa Ward vs. Masako Yoshida
Cassandra Rivers-Blasso vs. Roxanne Modafferi
Brandy Nerney vs. Sofie Bagherdal
Rebecca Ryan Long vs. Sarah Oriza
*Four more fights to be added

Post #23   2/10/07 7:11:36AM   

OchoCinco

MMA Regular

OchoCinco Avatar

Career:1,163-742
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I don't want to see this.

Post #24   2/10/07 8:13:31AM   

pitbull

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I really hope not. Its good to watch something like WWE, when its bra and panties match.

But otherwise, its just not good!!! I dont wnat to see some chick getting her arm broken in arm bar or something.

Nope, no, never.

Post #25   2/10/07 9:02:28AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Dana will probably wait and see the reaction to the womens fights in Elitexc and he will go from there before making any kind of decision about this. The other organisations are basically playing the guinea pigs for him. However I do think there will be alot more difficulties transferring it to the bigger stage for UFC.

Post #26   2/10/07 9:22:24AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Beautiful Brawler

Good relevant story on the subject.

Post #27   2/10/07 9:31:32AM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
now the real question thats needs to be answered...

Will boob punches be illegal?

Or pulling hair...

There is MMA for woman just no big orgs have picked up on it yet. I think in will be like womans basketball pretty much nothing every too big, and popular... never know though I'd like the see bad ass woman fight it would be cool. UFC woman champs that would be great.

Post #28   2/10/07 11:34:00AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,613
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
No, Dana said on Warrior Nation that he doesnt like the idea of women fighting, and unless for some reason female fights become HUGE, there is no way Dana will ever be interested.

Post #29   2/10/07 12:40:42PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
Funny thing is on the front page of this website, there is an article of Gary Shaw(is that his name) and he comments about why female fights are great. He says that they are always the fight of the night.

Post #30   2/10/07 4:49:16PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3